Cabelas 30 day policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Deitz83
Posts in topic: 2

Cabelas 30 day policy

Post by Deitz83 »

A friend of mine's daughter was raped and she decided to purchase a firearm. Went to Cabela's and filled out the paperwork. An issue that happened when she was 19 (40 now) popped up on the system. Normally, after the 7 day wait the firearm is released if there is not a "No". Correct me if I am wrong. Cabela's has an internal policy that makes you wait until there is an approval from the FBI or if no response after 30 days. You can reapply and go through the process all over again and potentially have the same results. I explained all of the options to her, get the issue cleaned up through the courts, apply for a LTC, her wait maybe up to 60 working days. However, since the incident is over 10 years there is a better chance of approval, if all of the boxes are check no domestic violence etc.. We will wait too see what happens with Cabela's before moving forward.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cabelas 30 day policy

Post by Jusme »

No "issues" show up at the FFL. They are only given a "proceed" ,"denied" or "delayed"
They have no way of knowing what the customers past record is. If she was delayed, the FBI gives the seller a date the firearm can be released, if no other notification is given. If during that time it comes back proceed, the seller can release the firearm. If there is no notification, after the date provided, the seller can legally, release the firearm. I don't know what Cabela's policy is, but if they refuse to release the firearm, after the time given, and no denial was issued, I would recommend a different seller. Waiting thirty days, and repeating the process, would be a waste of time. There could be a myriad of reasons it was delayed. As far as the 4473 form, all answers must be true, under the penalty of perjury. If any answer is yes besides, the one asking if you are the buyer. The dealer cannot legally continue with the sale.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Up front, the dealer may discontinue/refuse any transfer.

The 30 day thing seems to be related to the expiration of the search they performed with the FBI.

As stated above, I would go to another dealer.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

warpdrive

Post by warpdrive »

PBratton wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:20 pm As stated above, I would go to another dealer.
:iagree:

She'll probably get a better price too.
186,000 miles per second
It's not just a good idea, it's the law.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Deitz83 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:25 am A friend of mine's daughter was raped and she decided to purchase a firearm. Went to Cabela's and filled out the paperwork. An issue that happened when she was 19 (40 now) popped up on the system. Normally, after the 7 day wait the firearm is released if there is not a "No". Correct me if I am wrong. Cabela's has an internal policy that makes you wait until there is an approval from the FBI or if no response after 30 days. You can reapply and go through the process all over again and potentially have the same results. I explained all of the options to her, get the issue cleaned up through the courts, apply for a LTC, her wait maybe up to 60 working days. However, since the incident is over 10 years there is a better chance of approval, if all of the boxes are check no domestic violence etc.. We will wait too see what happens with Cabela's before moving forward.
The seller does not receive a copy of your criminal background check, all they get is a "proceed", "Deny", or "Delay". If it were delayed they'd have no idea of why.

As for the 30 days, that's internal, they are under no obligation as an FFL Licensee to delay the sale beyond the 7 days or "proceed" notification.

I would take my business elsewhere.

As for getting her LTC, just have her go to the DPS website and start the paperwork process. If there's an "issue" in her past the website spells out the eligibility requirements and whatever "cure" may be required to remedy her issue.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Topic author
Deitz83
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Deitz83 »

Plan on using another FFL. Thanks for the help.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”