Prohibiting signage at court houses

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
elisaint
Posts in topic: 3

Prohibiting signage at court houses

Post by elisaint »

I wanted to confirm and make sure that I am understanding the laws relating to carring inside of county courthouse. The attached photo is a sign that is posted about 5 feet inside the entrance of my county courthouse I have to go past this sign to get to the county clerks office and tax office for vehicle registrations. It is my understanding that that would make this sign illegal and that I am only restricted from court rooms and court related offices. I have a notice ready to send to the courthouse to notify them of the issue but I wanted to make sure that I was correct before I did so.
Attachments
F4FCF067-9881-4FF2-AFF0-5C46E71BD52A.jpeg

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Prohibiting signage at court houses

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

"permit violation 790.06"? When I google that, all the results I get are Florida statutes.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

If you are in Texas, I can tell you that you will not get much help from the AG on this one. I tried. Your local county officials are just as antigun as mine, and mine all claim to be Republicans. It's sad really, but in my case Burnet County Officials believe that we as handgun licensed citizens, are a threat to the County when we need to renew our vehicle registration. They hide behind the "we hold court in this building" loophole. I don't see it changing honestly, but I refuse to vote for these people in the future. I am referring to the Annex in Marble Falls, which I reported to the AG many moons ago to no avail. The only thing worse than an antigun Democrat is a Republican who claims to be 2A friendly until it comes to you carrying on County property. At least the Democrat is honest about his feelings up front.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

"If you have a Concealed Weapons Permit" - They can't even get the Texas term for carry permit correct.
Note to that court - it's called an LTC (License To Carry).
I could halfway understand it if they were still calling it a CHL, but it's apparent they want to be "anti" anyway.

Plus the sign refers to a Florida statute. Is that to throw off people who are trying to find a Texas statute with that number?
If they quoted some Texas statute, they might have to quote something that allows for LTC's to carry.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
elisaint

Post by elisaint »

I agree I could not find anything relating to Texas law and that code. As for the sign I believe it has been there since 2007 when I first moved to this county. Who knows how long before that. I appreciate the input

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Which county?

April Fools?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

DXer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:14 pm I think this thread might go away at midnight, April 2.
It might. But it is interesting that the OPs only two posts are in this thread.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
elisaint

Post by elisaint »

Burleson county

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Denton County, too.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

KLB

Post by KLB »

There's a disease that commonly infects those elected to public office. The most obvious symptom is that the person comes to view himself as above ordinary people, not as a servant of ordinary people. One manifestation of that is the apparent belief that laws restricting his authority are not binding.

How else to explain the nearly ubiquitous resistance to Texas carry laws?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

KLB wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 am There's a disease that commonly infects those elected to public office. The most obvious symptom is that the person comes to view himself as above ordinary people, not as a servant of ordinary people. One manifestation of that is the apparent belief that laws restricting his authority are not binding.

How else to explain the nearly ubiquitous resistance to Texas carry laws?

:iagree:

However, the resistance of allowing carry here in Texas, has very deep roots. It hasn't been very long ago, that Texas was held in a death grip, by left wing Democrats. The disarmament of Texans, started a long time ago, and while there may be some attitudes imported from both the left and right coasts, there is still a prevailing attitude among those in power, that only LEO are trustworthy enough to carry guns. It took ousting our last Democrat Governor, to even get concealed carry passed, and even then there were a lot of restrictions, and it was cost prohibitive for a lot of people. We were viewed as a very quaint group, who got to play with guns, but our numbers were so low, that we had almost no voice.
That has changed in recent years, but that attitude towards us still remains. Third and fourth generation, judges, city council persons, county Sheriffs, etc. still hold on to those attitudes, because " that's the way it's always been" and they don't like State legislator's to tell them what they can do locally.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jusme wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:58 am
However, the resistance of allowing carry here in Texas, has very deep roots. It hasn't been very long ago, that Texas was held in a death grip, by left wing Democrats. The disarmament of Texans, started a long time ago, and while there may be some attitudes imported from both the left and right coasts, there is still a prevailing attitude among those in power, that only LEO are trustworthy enough to carry guns. It took ousting our last Democrat Governor, to even get concealed carry passed, and even then there were a lot of restrictions, and it was cost prohibitive for a lot of people. We were viewed as a very quaint group, who got to play with guns, but our numbers were so low, that we had almost no voice.
That has changed in recent years, but that attitude towards us still remains. Third and fourth generation, judges, city council persons, county Sheriffs, etc. still hold on to those attitudes, because " that's the way it's always been" and they don't like State legislator's to tell them what they can do locally.
I understand and agree with what you said. I would add a couple of things.

- It isn't just the politicians who believe that the LEOs should be the only ones to carry. There seems to be a percentage of LEOs themselves with this view. I hesitate to to suggest a an actual percentage but in my anecdotal experience it is greater than 10%

- there is a share of the population to whom some of the politicians are responding who are almost violently anti-gun. Too many of them (my view) come from the teaching ranks and spread their bias.With the overall polarization that is occurring within the electorate, some who might have been Liberal in some social or financial views have gone "all in" with the Progressive agenda, moving from what once might have been a neutral stance on guns and particularly concealed carry to becoming as militant on those topics as they are others. As evidence, I would point to the number of groups who passed out 30.06/.07 signs when open carry passed. Whether iit is just the natives are just drinking the political Kool-Aide or there are profound changes because of public discourse on guns is not clear to me. What is clear is that the subject of EBRs (AR-15s,etc) comes up more than anything else soon as gun topics are raised. I was very concerned that OC would push carrying at all into that category, too. Even the people who are emphatically anti-gun that I've run into are very much in denial about what the large numbers of LTCs in Texas actually means in terms of the numbers of people who CC around them on a daily basis.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:02 pm... There seems to be a percentage of LEOs themselves with this view. I hesitate to to suggest a an actual percentage but in my anecdotal experience it is greater than 10%
My anecdotal experience suggests your anecdotal experience underestimates that attitude among the greater enforcer community. I don't know that it is a majority but I'm fairly sure it is a significant plurality.

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

It certainly seems like there's a majority of civilian public servants who took an oath of office but no longer support the bill of rights, if they ever did.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”