DFW Veterans Cemetery Legal for CC Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

DFW Veterans Cemetery Legal for CC Carry?

Post by carlson1 »

Does anyone know what the law says about carry at the DFW Veterans Cemetery?

toddlinder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DFW Veterans Cemetery Legal for CC Carry?

Post by toddlinder »

I believe since it is Federal property carry is not permitted and firearms are not allowed in vehicles, or on the property. Federal signs are posted at the entrance.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I was afraid of that, but I was sure hoping for a different opinion. :coolgleamA:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If you're talking about DFW National Cemetery, then yes. It is federal property and prohibited.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

joe817

Post by joe817 »

toddlinder wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:25 pm I believe since it is Federal property carry is not permitted and firearms are not allowed in vehicles, or on the property. Federal signs are posted at the entrance.
You are correct. it is Federal property, with properly posted signs. My wife and I have planted flags on the markers every Memorial Day for the past 5 years and I see the signs on every entrance.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

DocV

Post by DocV »

Hmmm. This is destroying my funeral plan of being buried with my AR in a Vet cemetery. :(

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Federal property is not always off limits. You can CC at national parks, for example, if state law does not otherwise prohibit it. However, you cannot CC in any buildings on federal property.

Just my opinion, not legal advice.

I'm not sure why the cemetery is off limits, but I do recall it being posted.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 am Federal property is not always off limits. You can CC at national parks, for example, if state law does not otherwise prohibit it. However, you cannot CC in any buildings on federal property.

I do wish that it were not off limits, but it is also not a park either.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

C-dub wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 am Federal property is not always off limits. You can CC at national parks, for example, if state law does not otherwise prohibit it. However, you cannot CC in any buildings on federal property.

I do wish that it were not off limits, but it is also not a park either.
Didn't mean to imply that it was. Just an example of where Fed-owned property is CC-legal.
ACoE land is still off limits, so, it's not a stretch that Cemeteries are off limits. Just a head-scratch as to why.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Yep. I go to the Houston National Cemetery regularly, so already had a bookmark to its "Weapons Policy":
VA regulations 38 CFR 1.218 prohibit the carrying of firearms (either openly or concealed), explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons while on VA property, except for official purposes, such as military funeral honors. Possession of firearms on any property under the charge and control of VA is prohibited. Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest.
It's identical for DFW: https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/dallas ... sp#wpolicy.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

It is off limits because the Feds can do it for no reason. My Dad is buried at Indiantown Gap Cemetary in PA and it has galled me that I can drive 1,500 miles to get there and have to disarm only to visit his grave site. That cemetery is posted also. I've often wondered who provides security for that place. It isn't large enough to warrant regular uniformed Federal officers, at least I've never seen any there. It is pretty much like most Corps land. If you don't see the small signs saying guns are prohibited, you would never know.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”