CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
Lele
Posts in topic: 1

DIY mailboxes vs. thieves

Post by Lele » Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 am

Hi, guys!

Just looked through the whole internet of mailbox threads. Some guys are artists, some are getting laughs (and maybe they are artists as well), and some are making unbreakable boxes to stand against drunk drivers or teenage boys with baseball bats. Lots of very clever ideas.

But around here the problem is mail thieves. I don't know to what lengths they might go to get the mail out of one of the post office approved "secure" boxes, but I figure to make mine out of something stout.

I was thinking of some scrap 3/16" T-1, or maybe stainless, mostly because stainless tends to eat up saw blades. But I can figure that out easily enough.

What I'm after is a good design to keep the thieving dope-addicts from grabbing stuff out of the box, while not making it too much of a hassle for the owner to get his mail.

I'll be making two boxes or a single duplex box for myself and the immediate neighbor.

Have any of you built a mail-secure box that has worked out well? I've never even owned a commercially-made secure box, just the ordinary kind.

I'll be glad to look at your pictures as well :drool:

Tex1961

Re: DIY mailboxes vs. thieves

Post by Tex1961 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:47 am

Not quite sure why you joined a gun forum and posted about mailboxes. But I’ll share a story. I used to live in a small rental house set way off a major freeway about 30 years ago. Almost every weekend someone would rip it out of the ground. I finally got fed up and concreted a railroad tie into the ground. The very next weekend there were emergency lights near the front of the property. The next morning I drove down to the mailbox and found the pole standing but the actual box about a hundred feet away. Also found a bumper and other car parts. Never found out what happened, but nobody ever screwed with my mailbox again.
Mike Troncalli
Owner and operator of Tejas Products "Manufacturer of firearm related accessories and custom laser engraving"
and Certified gun nut. :txflag:

WWW.TEJASPRODUCTS.COM

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv » Wed May 29, 2019 6:57 am

Interesting first post from NY.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 am

Don’t feed the trolls
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere » Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 am

Weaponized mailboxes are regulated in NY. Background check required. That’s why he is posting on a Texas forum.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: Its patriotism, Its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." Joseph Stalin

Rob72

Post by Rob72 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:14 am

Growing up in Colorado, we contended with snowplows and summer mailbox batting sprees. Best solution was made by a neighbor:

8 foot 3" x 1/8" steel pipe post, down 4' in concrete
1/8" steel plate, welded into a box shape
6" steel hinge, shielded by recess into the box body, welded to door & box
If you're going all the way, add a heavy gauge set of locking tabs, and a heavy security padlock, such as:
https://www.e-rigging.com/tyler-tool-se ... gIoqvD_BwE

The neighbor had to add yellow & black hazard striping, as the county sheriff told him it could be considered a road hazard. :mrgreen:

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:37 am

I’ve always thought that the boxes video stores & libraries used to use for folks to return movies & books would make a great mail box.

Malawler

Post by Malawler » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:28 am

I'm thinking that getting a box down at the local post office would be the easier and cheaper solution.

Lena

Post by Lena » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:02 am

We had a neighbor use 8 or 10" ID steel pipe 4' in ground filled with concrete for a post with a welded heavy steal plate box welded to a plate on top with a very good locking door they filled with gas and burned it! But did not get in it.
Stay Safe

oohrah

Post by oohrah » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Check local ordinances - my Uncle and his neighbors had the baseball bat bashing problem in Indiana. One neighbor got fed up and reinstalled with an I-beam concreted in the ground. The teens wrecked their car on it, and successfully sued for damages, because the installation was deemed illegal by local laws.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

rotor

Post by rotor » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm

The Post Office has official rules on mail boxes. Check their website. I am subscribed to their email service which tells me what mail is going to be delivered that day. At least you know what is being stolen that day.

Officially you must use post office guidelines for a mailbox. If I were you I would get a PO box.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Exactly, the USPS won't put mail in an unapproved mailbox.

WTR

Post by WTR » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:23 pm

oohrah wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:36 pm
Check local ordinances - my Uncle and his neighbors had the baseball bat bashing problem in Indiana. One neighbor got fed up and reinstalled with an I-beam concreted in the ground. The teens wrecked their car on it, and successfully sued for damages, because the installation was deemed illegal by local laws.
The USPS can be very restrictive about the box they allow and will deliver to ( been there done that ). Some jurisdiction require a " break away " designed to be utilized for the support. I too have seen a successful law suit due to injuries sustained when a base did not give and caused injuries.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”