new member CHL questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bob M
Posts in topic: 2

new member CHL questions

Post by Bob M »

I have been reading this forum for the last 2 weeks. Great fourm and alot of helpful information.
I mailed my CHL packet a week ago and have some questions.
Shorter barrel lengths are easier to conceal, but it looks like most here have large pistols. How do you conceal them is the summer? I've been looking to buy a new pistol, can't deside which barrel length.

I read if you are a honorably discharged veteran that the fee for CHL is 1/2 price. I did not see that stated in the handbook. Is it true?

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

First of all Bob, Welcome to the forum.There are some great people here and most will help you any way they can.

As far as larger pistols, a lot depends on how you carry and although not as big a deal, how big are you. Example is I am 6'3" @ 230 lbs. My choices of carry are a full size 1911, a commander size 1911, a full size G21, or an XD45, not to mention my S&W 625. All are carried OWB with a cover shirt.

Others carry IWB (I may as soon as I lose sme weight).

Where are you located? Maybe someone here could meet with you and let you try different methods. Or if you can make it to forum day @ PSC in September, there will be lots to choose from.

But, you have to be comfortable with both what you carry and how you carry it. This is also one reason a lot of us have dead holster drawers that are full.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

I carry a 4" (SA XD45 Compact) and a 5" (SA 1911A1 GI.45) in an IWB holster (no, not the same holster - I have a Comp-Tac Shirt Tucker for the XD and a Tucker Answer for the 1911).

I usually wear cargo shorts and a loose t-shirt (even in the winter - I grew up in the frozen north). I don't KNOW that I've never been made, but I've never started a panic...

seamusTX

Re: new member CHL questions

Post by seamusTX »

Bob M wrote:Shorter barrel lengths are easier to conceal, but it looks like most here have large pistols. How do you conceal them is the summer?
Welcome to the forum.

You'll be amazed what an inside-waistband holster and a patterned shirt can do.
Bob M wrote:I read if you are a honorably discharged veteran that the fee for CHL is 1/2 price. I did not see that stated in the handbook. Is it true?
I think you have to be on active or reserve duty. I've never been in the military, so I didn't pay attention to this issue.
GC §411.1951. REDUCTION OF FEES FOR MEMBERS OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES. Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, the department shall reduce by 50 percent any fee required for the issuance of an original, duplicate, modified, or renewed license under this subchapter if the applicant for the license is a member of the United States armed forces, including a member of the reserves, national guard, or state guard.
- Jim

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

seamusTX wrote:
Bob M wrote:Shorter barrel lengths are easier to conceal, but it looks like most here have large pistols. How do you conceal them is the summer?
Welcome to the forum.

You'll be amazed what an inside-waistband holster and a patterned shirt can do.
Bob M wrote:I read if you are a honorably discharged veteran that the fee for CHL is 1/2 price. I did not see that stated in the handbook. Is it true?
I think you have to be on active or reserve duty. I've never been in the military, so I didn't pay attention to this issue.
GC §411.1951. REDUCTION OF FEES FOR MEMBERS OF UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES. Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, the department shall reduce by 50 percent any fee required for the issuance of an original, duplicate, modified, or renewed license under this subchapter if the applicant for the license is a member of the United States armed forces, including a member of the reserves, national guard, or state guard.
- Jim
Don't forget the new fee schedule that takes effect in one week...

bpet

Post by bpet »

Bob M

Welcome and since I haven't seen a direct response to your question on military service, I'll give it a try. You do not need to be in the reserve or on active duty. As long as you have a DD214 showing honorable discharge, you qualify for a discount (not sure how much).

This provision goes into effect Sept. 1 so if you haven't sent your paperwork in yet it may be worth waiting a couple of weeks.

There is another very detailed thread on the forum that explains all in detail.
Try a search and get much more information.
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

Topic author
Bob M

Post by Bob M »

Thanks for the replys.
This is where I found the veterans 1/2 price. 8th paragrph.

Texas Concealed Handgun and Texas Conceled Carry of San Antonio: newlaw

http://www.concealedhandgun.com/newlaw.htm

Found the website this morning. Mailed packet Aug 13th.
Last edited by Bob M on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Mithras61 wrote:Don't forget the new fee schedule that takes effect in one week...
I did forget. :oops:

- Jim

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Bob M wrote:I have been reading this forum for the last 2 weeks. Great fourm and alot of helpful information.
Shorter barrel lengths are easier to conceal, but it looks like most here have large pistols. How do you conceal them is the summer? I've been looking to buy a new pistol, can't deside which barrel length.

I read if you are a honorably discharged veteran that the fee for CHL is 1/2 price. I did not see that stated in the handbook. Is it true?
\
It will be after september 1st. You will need a DD214
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RKirby

Post by RKirby »

Bob M wrote:I have been reading this forum for the last 2 weeks. Great fourm and alot of helpful information.
Welcome to the forum!

I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs and carry a Springfield XD in an IWB holster under an untucked t-shirt or polo shirt most days. A tuckable holster will be my next purchase for those times when an untucked shirt is not appropriate. In those rare instances when I can't conceal a full size gun I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P3AT.

In my experience, barrel length has very little to do with concealability. It's the grip that is difficult to conceal. I can conceal my XD Tactical with a 5" barrel just as well as my XD Service with it's 4" barrel. If you are one of those lucky guys with a slender build, you might want to consider a compact model with a shorter grip.

Many members carry and conceal full size weapons daily. The key is finding the proper holster and clothing that works for you and your chosen weapon.
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

I'm 5'5" and around 175 lbs. I fully agree that the grip size has more to do with concealability than barrel length. Even so, 5" is somewhat of a practical limit for barrel length, unless you are a very big guy.

I carry in IWB type holsters. I find that with an untucked polo shirt I can conceal a snubbie revolver or a Commander-sized 1911 with no problem.

The key is in the shirt. The best ones are woven, not knit. Knit shirts tend to follow the lines of the gun and so "print" much more so than woven shirts.

The ideal shirt is woven, roomy, and has an elastic gather along the bottom. This makes the shirt puff out around the waist which breaks up the outline of the gun.

Another excellent all-purpose carry/cover garment is a vest. Leather is best. Printing is virtually eliminated no matter what gun you carry.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

elwood blooz

Post by elwood blooz »

I'm standing 5'10" 195lb, carry xd 45 service owb, as stated above it's all in the shirt. My wife or daughter never know when I'm carrying until they ask, btw, welcome to the forum!

JJ99SS

Post by JJ99SS »

I'm 5'10" and 165, I just bought an SA XD9 SC as a replacement carry weapon to my XD9 Service. I can confirm that the handle was the issue. I use an Tucker Answer IWB as well and it is awsome. I have had no (major) issues with my service model but the reduction of the handle size with the SC is far more suited to my size. Or thats what I convinced myself to be the case. :grin:

I still haven't told my girlfriend nor has she noticed the size difference in the gun that sits on the counter after work. :twisted: I don't think she will be happy when she figures it out that I spent the cash. :roll: oh well.

jason

Post by jason »

Concealed carry takes into account a number of factors, size of the gun is just one of those factors.

Other factors to consider:

- Body type, size, shape
- Manner of dress
- Environment
- Holster

The bottom line is that you'll need to experiment to see what works best for you. A smaller gun that fits into a pants pocket in a pair of cargo shorts may work well.

Learning what works and what doesn't is part of the fun.
Jason

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”