Carry Insurance

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TheSoundGrip
Posts in topic: 2

Carry Insurance

Post by TheSoundGrip »

According to the DPS website, my LTC has been mailed as of today. So before I even start carrying, I'd like to have some sort of insurance/legal council/protection in the event I ever have to result to the use of force. I have heard mixed reviews on NRA Carry Guard, USCCA and other companies that offer legal council and such. Just looking for recommendations and why you like them (especially if you've used one and gone to another). Would like the best legal protection for the price and make the most educated decision I can.

Thanks!

oljames3

Re: Carry Insurance

Post by oljames3 »

TheSoundGrip wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 pm According to the DPS website, my LTC has been mailed as of today. So before I even start carrying, I'd like to have some sort of insurance/legal council/protection in the event I ever have to result to the use of force. I have heard mixed reviews on NRA Carry Guard, USCCA and other companies that offer legal council and such. Just looking for recommendations and why you like them (especially if you've used one and gone to another). Would like the best legal protection for the price and make the most educated decision I can.

Thanks!
The two with which I am most familar are Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network and TxLS (the forum automatically blocks the name). From my own research and speaking to carriers I respect, these two are the best. There are several, and you must do your own due diligence.
https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/
https://www.uslawshield.com/

I know a man who had to use ACLDN. Mass Ayoob interviewed John Daub about this. https://americanhandgunner.com/the-ayoo ... -incident/

John discusses the incident. https://blog.hsoi.com/2016/01/06/regard ... ry-5-2015/

All of the members of my family who carry are members of TxLS. I prefer them primarily because I have had several opportunities to speak at length with the program attorney who would represent me, listen to him speak on Texas law and his experiences. If you would prefer to choose your own attonery, ACLDN might work well for you.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Second Call Defense is another I’ve started to look into.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

I use Patriot Legal Protection in Ft. Worth

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I went with NRA Carry Guard, it’s hard finding unbiased info comparing all of them. I find it telling when you look at the org with initials USLS/TXLS and read reviews of people that have worked for them. They are not good reviews and if employees have stated that then it tells me much about their company.

When it comes down to it I think it’s all about getting paid when needed and I find little info on that. I had specific reasons for needing a plan and the NRA’s offering fit what I needed.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Just as another option to consider, you could look at CCW Safe (ccwsafe.com). I'm signed up with them, and have been for years. Never had to actually use their services, but it all looks good on paper.

They're based in Oklahoma City, but coverage is nation wide. They have several different plans (with different costs) so don't quote me on this, but if I recall correctly, even the cheapest plan (the one I'm on) includes a half million dollar bail coverage, plus all trial costs, including attorney fees, investigators fees, expert witnesses fees. And all are covered UP FRONT with UNLIMITED cost amounts. That means no money from my pocket. They also have lost wages reimbursement, they pay for mental counseling sessions and pay for crime scene clean up if the shooting was in your home.

Yes, it sounds like a sales pitch! No, I'm not associated with them in any way, other than being a regular customer. It just sounds like they have a very good product at a reasonable price, so I just want to let my friends here know to at least give them a look if you're shopping around. Then make up your own mind. :cheers2:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

:iagree:

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I'm with Texas U.S Lawshield.....

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'm not an expert, but wouldn't an "Umbrella" liability policy cover this? I'm looking into Umbrella policies because I have a couple new drivers in my household, along with a developmentally challenged child next door who enjoys climbing over my fence, throwing things at my dog, and then climbing back over the fence. I've asked his parents to keep a better eye on him, to no avail. I'm not overly paranoid, but I could easily see a bad situation developing here.

I was under the impression that Umbrella policies covered all sorts of liability after any specific policy limits had been reached. Or do they usually exclude firearms related incidents?

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:48 pm I'm not an expert, but wouldn't an "Umbrella" liability policy cover this? I'm looking into Umbrella policies because I have a couple new drivers in my household, along with a developmentally challenged child next door who enjoys climbing over my fence, throwing things at my dog, and then climbing back over the fence. I've asked his parents to keep a better eye on him, to no avail. I'm not overly paranoid, but I could easily see a bad situation developing here.

I was under the impression that Umbrella policies covered all sorts of liability after any specific policy limits had been reached. Or do they usually exclude firearms related incidents?
I’ve had some people tell me they used an umbrella policy but my insurance company doesn’t offer one.

Caliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Caliber »

An umbrella policy only covers unintentional acts. A self defense shooting is an intentional act.

Topic author
TheSoundGrip

Post by TheSoundGrip »

I received my LTC yesterday morning (the day after it showed mailed). Was really shocked how quick the turn around was.

I ended up going with USCCA after reading some reviews against USLS/[pre-paid legal]. I liked the low price of [pre-paid legal], but really liked what USCCA had to offer in terms of multi-state with out having to pay extra and the pay up front guarantee should I ever need to use their services. I also felt them having an app was very appealing to me as well. $30 a month really isn't all that bad.

sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

USCCA will give you a great price on also insuring your spouse... I don’t remember the exact number but my recollection is it was $50..
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:02 am I'm with Texas U.S Lawshield.....
While I can't give details, I have a personal friend who has this and they did everything they say they would do. He wouldn't be without it.
Truth against the world

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

txhighlander wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 am
Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:02 am I'm with Texas U.S Lawshield.....
While I can't give details, I have a personal friend who has this and they did everything they say they would do. He wouldn't be without it.
I’m sorry for your “friends” troubles, but it’s comforting to hear that the service I picked came through for him. That’s one monthly bill I get that I Don’t mind paying.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”