CPR Bill?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
infoman
Posts in topic: 1

CPR Bill?

Post by infoman »

I heard a bill passed where a person who gets CPR certified (correct me if wrong), can get their application fees waived? I’m assuming this takes effect Sept 1? And would an applicant send in proof with their other docs? I think it’s HB 1078

Grayling813

Re: CPR Bill?

Post by Grayling813 »

Here's the list of new firearms laws set to go into effect on 9/1. I don't see that one listed.
https://guides.sll.texas.gov/gun-laws/# ... r-25371859

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:10 pm Here's the list of new firearms laws set to go into effect on 9/1. I don't see that one listed.
https://guides.sll.texas.gov/gun-laws/# ... r-25371859
I think it was primarily aimed at driver's licenses with LTC along for the ride so that's why you don't see it on the firearm bills list.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

seph

Post by seph »

Received an email from the TSRA about HB1078 not being implimented.
. H.B. 1078 Signed by the Governor and scheduled to go into effect Sept. 1, 2019 is not being implemented. This bill would have waived the fees for new Drivers License or LTC applications and renewals if the applicant possessed a current CPR Certification. Part of the public preparedness campaign
. The bill requires DPS waive the license fees for holders of CPR certifications only if the legislature appropriates money specifically for that purpose. However, funding was not appropriated for this purpose. For this reason, the Department will not implement HB 1078 at this time.
So, the RSD can selectively choose which laws to obey and which to ignore?
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

sykoball_01

Post by sykoball_01 »

Looks like they gave theselves an out, here is section 4 from H.B. 1078 - "SECTION 4. The Department of Public Safety of the State of Texas is required to implement a provision of this Act only if the legislature appropriates money specifically for that purpose. If the legislature does not appropriate money specifically for that purpose, the Department of Public Safety of the State of Texas may, but is not required to, implement a provision of this Act using other appropriations available for that purpose."

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Disappointing. Thanks for the update.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Rob72 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:10 am Meh. If passed, it would have given every nurse, MD, EMT, Paramed, Fireman and many LE a 1/2 free DL, in addition to everyone who went for their card, "just because." CPR cards are good for 2 years, so SoT is losing fees on all certified people for 1/2 of the period between DL renewals, which is a chunk of change.

Guess I'll be the dissenting voice and say it doesn't bother me. You're either, "in it," or you're not. If you can initiate effective care (CPR, BLS/Trauma Life Support) on-demand, it probably isn't because the State is giving you a freebie, and the ya-hoos who get their cards for the freebie are statistically more likely to get in the way than be of meaningful assistance.
Read the enrolled bill again.
(2) is not required to hold the certification described by Subdivision (1) as a condition of obtaining or maintaining employment or an occupational license.
Does not apply to anyone who is required to have the CPR card for their job which includes many of the people you listed above.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 amDoes not apply to anyone who is required to have the CPR card for their job which includes many of the people you listed above.
Beat me to it. :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”