FWPD Sgt Doesn't know LTC law

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

FWPD Sgt Doesn't know LTC law

Post by oohrah »

This was a pretty good apparently non-baised article about red flag laws and alerting police about MWAG

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... s-shooting

However, then I read this "But if someone's in a liquor store with a handgun on his hip, that is illegal, Daniels said. “A liquor store is a prohibited place for a license to carry holder,” he said."

This is of course absolutely false. A liquor store must post the TABC Blue sign for unlicensed possession, but the owner can decide whether to post 30.06/30.07 or not. The Sgt. may be confusing the 51% Red sign. However, it is disturbing that he does not know the law.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

C-dub

Re: FWPD Sgt Doesn't know LTC law

Post by C-dub »

I was going to post this to their FB page, but decided to not do so in such a public way. I e-mailed their training department.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

oohrah wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:42 pm This was a pretty good apparently non-baised article about red flag laws and alerting police about MWAG

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2 ... s-shooting

However, then I read this "But if someone's in a liquor store with a handgun on his hip, that is illegal, Daniels said. “A liquor store is a prohibited place for a license to carry holder,” he said."

This is of course absolutely false. A liquor store must post the TABC Blue sign for unlicensed possession, but the owner can decide whether to post 30.06/30.07 or not. The Sgt. may be confusing the 51% Red sign. However, it is disturbing that he does not know the law.
Most police only have a vague knowledge of the law. Part of this is that they have to cover such a broad section of law. So there is no way for them to have a good grasp of all of them. I agree it is troubling since they are the ones that arrest people for violating laws. Short of hiring criminal law attorneys for police I don't know how to get around it.
NRA Benefactor Member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I understand that most LEO's don't know ALL the law. They are not lawyers, or judges. But dang it! The legality of handguns should be law enforcement training 101.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Before being hauled to the jail house, my thought is that a supervisor would intervene. Hopefully the supervisor is more in tune with the laws.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jb2012 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:32 pm Before being hauled to the jail house, my thought is that a supervisor would intervene. Hopefully the supervisor is more in tune with the laws.
I may be completely wrong here, but isn’t a Sergeant a supervisor?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jb2012 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:17 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:32 pm Before being hauled to the jail house, my thought is that a supervisor would intervene. Hopefully the supervisor is more in tune with the laws.
I honestly don't know Maybe some sergeants are and some are not? I am not even positive about them checking with a supervisor before hauling you to jail. Surely there is some kind of check in place to help prevent false arrests. Maybe one of the retired or current officers can tell us.

howdy

Post by howdy »

We had a Constable in uniform for security at our Church that was in the process of arresting a member for having a concealed handgun. (No signs posted) Another Church member saw the gun when it was accidentally exposed. This was before open carry. The Constable called an assistant DA who confirmed her belief that church carry was illegal. A minister convinced her to not arrest him but not before she made him take the gun to his car and tell him how lucky he was not gong to jail. I politely told her that she nor the DA knew the law and to go do some quick research. I helped her with the statute and the section (i). She still refused to accept it and she was fired that day. Hopefully the new wording of that law will help in the future.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Mel

Post by Mel »

jb2012 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Even a supervisor has a supervisor. One of my favorite coments when confronted with "I AM a supervisor!" is: "Do you OWN the company? If not, you have a boss. Let me speak to your boss!"
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

C-dub wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:59 pm I was going to post this to their FB page, but decided to not do so in such a public way. I e-mailed their training department.
I agree this was a good call. But the Sgt did make a public statement. I also emailed the reporter about the factual error. She emailed back that she would contact the officer.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Might be useful to have the Texas Penal Code app on your smartphone. The TABC app is also recommended. In addition to those I have a copy of the Penal Code downloaded onto my Dropbox so I can pull it up anywhere I'm connected.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Perhaps you can refer him to this...
Attachments
PeaceOfficersGuide.pdf
(779.83 KiB) Downloaded 349 times

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

rotor wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:30 pm Perhaps you can refer him to this...
:iagree: This is a great reference.
NRA Endowment Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

howdy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:35 pm We had a Constable in uniform for security at our Church that was in the process of arresting a member for having a concealed handgun. (No signs posted) Another Church member saw the gun when it was accidentally exposed. This was before open carry. The Constable called an assistant DA who confirmed her belief that church carry was illegal. A minister convinced her to not arrest him but not before she made him take the gun to his car and tell him how lucky he was not gong to jail. I politely told her that she nor the DA knew the law and to go do some quick research. I helped her with the statute and the section (i). She still refused to accept it and she was fired that day. Hopefully the new wording of that law will help in the future.
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”