Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
narcissist
Posts in topic: 9

Question

Post by narcissist »

I've had one ex-dps officer, Sherrif, and a Cheif of police that said to never show your your LTC/Chl to the police officer while in your car. They all stated this in [ about ] the same way and at different times I must add "have the gun easily available and if for some reason you get stopped put it in the glove box, console ect. [ if they ask why you were reaching/moving around just state getting my insurance ]

If they ask is there a gun in the car state yes but you are carrying under. "Castle Law".

The reason's they stated are "they can and will most of the time disarm you plus then remove you from the vehicle". They said "its a Big Possibility they will lie". Example: staggering, bloodshot eyes, smell of alcohol, smell of Marijuana ect. just to have you do the Sobriety test in which Every Attorney will tell you to NEVER do. Problem is if you are carrying they add on additional charges also, more trouble then its worth.

If they want to run the serial number on your pistol you do not have to comply so you do not have to leave the vehicle. Of course they could always ask you to get out of the car but better to not get extra charges if they decide to "lie".

NOT stating all Law Enforcement are bad but when three different Law Enforcement officials tell you to be "Worried" I'm going to listen to their advice!!!

Not telling you to do this in any way shape or form, just a heads up thats all.

My question is, anyone else do this?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question

Post by crazy2medic »

No No No! If pulled over for whatever reason, place your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight, when you determine where he's approaching the vehicle from roll down that window and place your hands back on the steering column, when he ask for DL and Proof of Insurance, tell him/her officer My DL and LTC are in my back pocket (for me left side) and my pistol is on my left hip, then let them decide how they want to proceed, my goal is to make them comfortable in the circumstances, give them no surprises, fully cooperate! I have been pulled over a couple of times and have had nothing but a courteous exchange with the LEO's
If they approach after it's dark turn on you inside dome light so they can see you!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I have been stopped twice since I had my LTC and deserved to be both times. One was a state trooper, the other the chief in a very small town notorious for writing tickets. I showed both my LTC when they got to the window. The trooper just stated he didn't need to see it, the chief let me go without even calling in my DL. Neither asked about a weapon.

Your results may vary.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

I've never done this. DPS officers now if you have an LTC if you are driving a car that is registered to you. I'm not sure about other Texas law enforcement thought. Every time I've been pulled over I have shown my LTC and license at the same time, the LTC was always handed right back only one cop asked where the gun was and I told him on my hip right side he said ok. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has heard similar from other law enforcement officers.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

narcissist wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:50 pm I've had one ex-dps officer, Sherrif, and a Cheif of police that said to never show your your LTC/Chl to the police officer while in your car.
If they ask for your DL while in the car then it is the law you provide them your LTC. While they removed the penalty for not doing so it is still the law. I am not for sure why they would tell you to violate the law just because you were in your vehicle.

The last thing you want to do when being stopped is start moving things around in the car while being pulled over. That could result in you being removed from the car at gun point.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I don’t know where you are located, but I have been stopped 3 times, since I have had my LTC. In each case I simply handed them my LTC with my DL, they all gave it a cursory glance, handed it back, and two asked about the location.
Not one attempted to disarm me, or had any issue with the fact that I had a gun.
As a former LEO, I can tell you digging around in a console, or glove box, makes them nervous. Keep your hands fully visible, until asked for any documentation. Then tell the officer where it is located, whether in your pocket, glove box, etc.

I’m not sure why these particular LEO would go to the extreme to disarm you. Handling a loaded gun, creates more risk, than leaving it alone. A Texas LTC, lets the LEO know, that you have passed a background check, and a proficiency class. I have not heard of many cases, where an LTC holder, was disarmed during a traffic stop. The LEOs you spoke with, definitely don’t fit the norm, and I have spoken with several, regarding, LTC, OC, etc.. and even while OC, not one have made any comments similar to the ones you describe.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Totally disagree w/ the officers of the original post.
When stopped I have (and taught in LTC class) My name is Jerry Young, I have a License to Carry and I am armed open carry at this time.

I have never been disarmed. All officers polite and now ever nervous.
Even one time I had a wreck and while waiting on the wrecker to pickup my truck we visited and talked. One of the things that DPS officer said was He hated it under the circumstances but it sure was nice to deal with the good guys on occasion.

Always notify.

My opinion and YMMV.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

narcissist wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:50 pm I've had one ex-dps officer, Sherrif, and a Cheif of police that said to never show your your LTC/Chl to the police officer while in your car. They all stated this in [ about ] the same way and at different times I must add "have the gun easily available and if for some reason you get stopped put it in the glove box, console ect. [ if they ask why you were reaching/moving around just state getting my insurance ]

If they ask is there a gun in the car state yes but you are carrying under. "Castle Law".

The reason's they stated are "they can and will most of the time disarm you plus then remove you from the vehicle". They said "its a Big Possibility they will lie". Example: staggering, bloodshot eyes, smell of alcohol, smell of Marijuana ect. just to have you do the Sobriety test in which Every Attorney will tell you to NEVER do. Problem is if you are carrying they add on additional charges also, more trouble then its worth.

If they want to run the serial number on your pistol you do not have to comply so you do not have to leave the vehicle. Of course they could always ask you to get out of the car but better to not get extra charges if they decide to "lie".

NOT stating all Law Enforcement are bad but when three different Law Enforcement officials tell you to be "Worried" I'm going to listen to their advice!!!

They are all admitting that they would do this? I am glad they are all retired. They are doing what I call projecting when they say these things.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Allons wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:09 pm I've never done this. DPS officers now if you have an LTC if you are driving a car that is registered to you. I'm not sure about other Texas law enforcement thought. >
Your LTC in linked to your DL not your vehicle registration.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

longtooth wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:13 pm Totally disagree w/ the officers of the original post.
When stopped I have (and taught in LTC class) My name is Jerry Young, I have a License to Carry and I am armed open carry at this time.

I have never been disarmed. All officers polite and now ever nervous.
Even one time I had a wreck and while waiting on the wrecker to pickup my truck we visited and talked. One of the things that DPS officer said was He hated it under the circumstances but it sure was nice to deal with the good guys on occasion.

Always notify.

My opinion and YMMV.
My experience was not as conversational as yours but the cop did not even act like he cared. He took both my CHL and drivers license back to his car after he said, "I'll be right back with you". Then he let me off, for doing a New York stop at a stop sign, with a verbal warning.

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:15 pm
Allons wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:09 pm I've never done this. DPS officers now if you have an LTC if you are driving a car that is registered to you. I'm not sure about other Texas law enforcement thought. >
That's correct my mistake :thumbs2:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

To my shame, I’ve been pulled over five times in the last couple of years for speeding; anywhere from 10-20 over. Every single time, handed CHL w/ DL. Always asked where is the firearm. Most of the time it’s in the console. But a couple of times I had it at my 4. Never once was pulled out of the car. Every time I was given a verbal warning & once received a written warning. These were all different departments (DPS, a couple of sheriffs’ office, a couple city/town officers).

Im not saying I continue speeding expecting this streak to continue but I’m trying to pay better attention. Sometimes speed limits change so quickly on these state hwys as you enter a small town.

I’m glad I haven’t run into the folks with whom you talked.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Allons wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:24 pm
Second part of that is all Texas LE have access to your LTC through your DL, but I have no ideal if out of State LE would have that access.

Topic author
narcissist

Post by narcissist »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:14 pm
narcissist wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:50 pm I've had one ex-dps officer, Sherrif, and a Cheif of police that said to never show your your LTC/Chl to the police officer while in your car. They all stated this in [ about ] the same way and at different times I must add "have the gun easily available and if for some reason you get stopped put it in the glove box, console ect. [ if they ask why you were reaching/moving around just state getting my insurance ]

They are all admitting that they would do this? I am glad they are all retired. They are doing what I call projecting when they say these things.
Two are still active just the Dps officer is retired. I must of not explained it well enough. The Cheif and Sherrif is still active. They said others would do this not themselves by the way.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Topic author
narcissist

Post by narcissist »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:27 pm
Allons wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:24 pm
Second part of that is all Texas LE have access to your LTC through your DL, but I have no ideal if out of State LE would have that access.
Yes but you can carry under castle law only even though you have a LTC.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”