Texas "10 acre" rule for discharging a firearm outside of city limits?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Archery1
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Texas "10 acre" rule for discharging a firearm outside of city limits?

Post by Archery1 »

Russell wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 pm I've shot it in my back yard a few times now, it's not nearly as loud as the CCI Quiet's I tested (which aren't really quiet at all imo), it won't bother anyone.

Raccoon came back again last night and defeated the defenses I put up to protect my outside animal feeder.

Working on obtaining a trap now. It's days are numbered.... :fire
I have a similar Gamo, .22, and our neighborhood is acreage lots. We have vacant 7 acres at end that has bayou running through where I like to shoot floaters and snakes. From way back there, neighbors still swear I'm down there with a .22 :)

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

I guess I'm still not clear. I am in an unincorporated area of Tarrant County. Our subdivision has about 95 homes on one acre or more each. It has been common knowledge here that you can shoot firearms on your property, though it rarely happens. I used to shoot targets with my .22 when I first moved in, but haven't done that in years now.
I recall an HOA meeting when I sheriff's deputy was invited to speak. Asked what to do about coyotes he replied "Just shoot 'em!". (Silence, shocked look from half the ladies present).

So, if a county has NOT passed a more restrictive ordinance, there is no restriction on firearms discharge?
How do I determine that status for my county?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

My house is on an acre, with the house behind me at around 200 ft. Most yards are unfenced, and there are coyotes around at night. My wife took the dog downstairs to do his business at 5:00 yesterday morning and heard panting in the darkened wooded area behind the house. I told her not to go out again without a gun and a flashlight. We keep revolvers with rat shot and also a .410 handy.

Of course, if we have to kill a coyote in defense of family or pets, it's justified. About once a month I hear what sounds like a gunshot in the neighborhood. I assume it's a neighbor dealing with a varmint.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Rex B wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:25 am I guess I'm still not clear. I am in an unincorporated area of Tarrant County. Our subdivision has about 95 homes on one acre or more each. It has been common knowledge here that you can shoot firearms on your property, though it rarely happens. I used to shoot targets with my .22 when I first moved in, but haven't done that in years now.
I recall an HOA meeting when I sheriff's deputy was invited to speak. Asked what to do about coyotes he replied "Just shoot 'em!". (Silence, shocked look from half the ladies present).

So, if a county has NOT passed a more restrictive ordinance, there is no restriction on firearms discharge?
How do I determine that status for my county?
Far as I can determine in unincorporated area as long as it stays on your property you're good. For the subdivision call the commissioner's court.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K-Texas »

:clapping:
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Russell wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:30 pm Issue has been resolved :tiphat:
Did he make you jump when you went to pick up the trap? :lol: I've trapped quite a few.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Russell wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:11 pm
LDP wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:44 pm Did ya make meatballs or slow-smoked ribs?
lol! Neither. Not interested in eating a city-based fleabag. I'd want to be out further in the country before I even consider that.

Lynyrd wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:53 pm Did he make you jump when you went to pick up the trap? :lol: I've trapped quite a few.

Yeah he was pretty unhappy. I also didn't want to get close enough for him to each out through the cage and scratch me. Grabbed a broom handle, I took one end and my wife took the other, carried him out to the grass before dispatching him.

Also trapped another one last night! Checked my security cameras, had another family of 3 come through. Looks like I still have more to deal with...
I really hate to be the one to break the news and harsh your mellow but you will never be rid of raccoons.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "I really hate to be the one to break the news and harsh your mellow but you will never be rid of raccoons."

I would modify that slightly to say never be completely rid of raccoons.

They find a good thing and tell all of their friends and family. On my latest game camera, one had showed up under the feeder where I had a semi-major corn spill. Then 3. Then 9.

I stayed late in the blind one trip to catch 'em when they typically showed up around dark thirty. Killed one with a .22LR 60-grain Aquilla subsonic and another with a 2-blade bolt from cross bow. Both were textbook shots to the lungs and each one still ran a good 10 or 15 yards before expiring. The game cam subsequently showed more the same week - and a porcupine.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Russell wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:30 pm Issue has been resolved :tiphat:
Congrats! Also, you can now add the title of "Trash Panda Travel Agent" to your resume.... :biggrinjester:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”