CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Timing…a Missing Component in Training

Post by Paladin »

Timing…a Missing Component in Training, Written by Greg Ellifritz
Instead of immediately drawing your weapon when the bad guy has his gun pointed at you, feign compliance. You can still resist whenever you want to, but YOU get to pick the time that is most favorable for a successful outcome. If the criminal isn’t immediately shooting, you are likely to have some time. If he had wanted to shoot, he would have done so already. If he hasn’t, that generally means he won’t shoot unless you do something to provoke him or impede his escape.

Play it cool and wait for a better opportunity to act. The criminal can’t hold his attention on you and commit his crime at the same time. In almost every instance he will be distracted at some point in the process. The time to act is when he isn’t paying attention to you. You will likely be much more successful....

There are some scenarios where you should act immediately regardless of the risk to you. Don’t wait for a “better” opportunity when:

– The criminal is trying to force you into a car or take you to another location.

– The criminal is trying to search or restrain you.

– You think the criminal is going to immediately pull the trigger.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Timing…a Missing Component in Training

Post by troglodyte »

I am mindful of Mr. Wallace at the West Freeway congregation. After the assailant pulled the shotgun he didn't appear to be pointing it at anyone (but it is hard to tell from the video) until Mr. Wallace drew attention to himself, told him to put the gun down, and ineffectively tried to draw his own gun.
Unfortunately Mr. Wallace and Mr. White paid the price.

It is impossible to know exactly what would have happened but Mr. Wallace's actions may have defined a course that may have been delayed or may not have even happened.

I still contend that Mr. Wallace was also a hero, he just got ahead of himself.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

John Correa hammers this all the time:

Never "draw from the drop" (don't draw your gun when a gun is aimed at you), wait your turn. Keep your cool and comply. Wait until you have an opportunity. Hopefully, one will come.

And, yes, there are a few exceptions, but to "go" when the criminal is trying to search you? I've not heard that one before.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Caliber wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am John Correa hammers this all the time:

Never "draw from the drop" (don't draw your gun when a gun is aimed at you), wait your turn. Keep your cool and comply. Wait until you have an opportunity. Hopefully, one will come.

And, yes, there are a few exceptions, but to "go" when the criminal is trying to search you? I've not heard that one before.
The idea is that if you are carrying your weapon, and the badguy searches you and finds it on you, they may just shoot you, so it's better to act first.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

troglodyte wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 am I am mindful of Mr. Wallace at the West Freeway congregation. After the assailant pulled the shotgun he didn't appear to be pointing it at anyone (but it is hard to tell from the video) until Mr. Wallace drew attention to himself, told him to put the gun down, and ineffectively tried to draw his own gun.
Unfortunately Mr. Wallace and Mr. White paid the price.

It is impossible to know exactly what would have happened but Mr. Wallace's actions may have defined a course that may have been delayed or may not have even happened.

I still contend that Mr. Wallace was also a hero, he just got ahead of himself.
The badguy didn't pullout his shotgun that day in church to share communion.
our struggle is ... against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms
Mr. Wallace was indeed a brave hero.
"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Active Self Protection has a couple of recent YouTube videos that directly address timing.

I see that Caliber beat me to it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Paladin wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:46 am
Caliber wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am John Correa hammers this all the time:

The idea is that if you are carrying your weapon, and the badguy searches you and finds it on you, they may just shoot you, so it's better to act first.
If the BG goes to search you, he has opened up a world of opportunities for you to act, even if there are two BGs.

As John says, "Wait your turn."
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 pm Active Self Protection has a couple of recent YouTube videos that directly address timing.

In this case, it would appear that Caliber had better timing. :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Flightmare wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:35 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 pm Active Self Protection has a couple of recent YouTube videos that directly address timing.

In this case, it would appear that Caliber had better timing. :biggrinjester:
:mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”