Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shooting dog in self defense - Civil Immunity

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Adopt, don't shop!

67N20

Post by 67N20 »

Not to derail, but the cost of animals, specifically dogs, is mentioned above already. Here's a story for future reference if dog-shopping. We are looking for a small dog, Frenchie (or like size), more or less. So, this new franchise opens locally, PetLand. Very nice place and very well kept animals of different breeds, where you are met with a sales-rep who seats you in a private booth with a puppy of your choice, explains everything about the puppy, then leaves you to bond with the puppy. Like a car dealership, the rep then disappears for a given amount of time.

Well, my seeing financing agreements on the clipboard in the booth got my curiosity about how badly this potential sale was going to end up. Well, after about an hour of this, all the while trying to get anyone to give me a PRICE instead of sales jibberish and easy pay options, we finally got down to what this store wanted in return. $12,000.00 for one French Bulldog puppy!!! :)
[/quote]

How many did you buy??

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Archery1 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:11 am
Deitz83 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 am
striker55 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 am I took my neighbor to court to have their pitbull declared a dangerous dog. Two times the dog came at me in my front yard and I drew my weapon. Luckily the dog stopped coming at me, both times when deputies arrived they said I had the right to shoot the dog on my property. That would have been my last resort, the judge said the dog doesn't stop for a gun, doesn't know what a gun is. I had a picture my wife took of me with the gun and the dog in my yard. At the end of the day the dog was declared a dangerous dog.
I was told by law enforcement that if I am on my own property or feel that my life is being threatened by a loose/stray dog. Stop the threat!
That's usually the defining issue in a dispute involving a dog shooting. Most counties include protecting livestock as a justifiable reason for the discharge of guns and the killing of attacking animals. And, dogs are property, so even ownership can be disputed based on who is holding the animal at the time. Off your property, it's more about where you discharged your gun, was it necessary to protect life and limb, and someone else's property, the animal.

Not to derail, but the cost of animals, specifically dogs, is mentioned above already. Here's a story for future reference if dog-shopping. We are looking for a small dog, Frenchie (or like size), more or less. So, this new franchise opens locally, PetLand. Very nice place and very well kept animals of different breeds, where you are met with a sales-rep who seats you in a private booth with a puppy of your choice, explains everything about the puppy, then leaves you to bond with the puppy. Like a car dealership, the rep then disappears for a given amount of time.

Well, my seeing financing agreements on the clipboard in the booth got my curiosity about how badly this potential sale was going to end up. Well, after about an hour of this, all the while trying to get anyone to give me a PRICE instead of sales jibberish and easy pay options, we finally got down to what this store wanted in return. $12,000.00 for one French Bulldog puppy!!! :)
OMG!!!! That is nothing short of CRAZY! Has the whole world lost their ever loving minds??? Financing agreements to buy a dog??? I'm like you. I would have started thinking What the heck? 12 grand for a dog! Somebody stop the ride. I am wanting to get off now. My big old baby is a Lab/Rottie mix. Smartest dog I ever owned. He literally crapped the house once as a puppy. I said no, bad dog and carried him outside. He went to door from then on out. He is six now, 125 pounds and my best friend. I paid 40 bucks at the pound for him. The vet bills for neutering and chipping cost more than he did. 12K for a dog! My goodness. That dog better be able to do home repairs, wash laundry and make my dinner for that much money!

03Lightningrocks

67N20 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:29 pm

How many did you buy??
:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

Archery1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Archery1 »

67N20 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:29 pm Not to derail, but the cost of animals, specifically dogs, is mentioned above already. Here's a story for future reference if dog-shopping. We are looking for a small dog, Frenchie (or like size), more or less. So, this new franchise opens locally, PetLand. Very nice place and very well kept animals of different breeds, where you are met with a sales-rep who seats you in a private booth with a puppy of your choice, explains everything about the puppy, then leaves you to bond with the puppy. Like a car dealership, the rep then disappears for a given amount of time.

How many did you buy??
[/quote]
:) Well, that actually was part of the sales game! You are warranted a dog for life. If this one dies of anything, even of old age, you get another!!! I wasn't impressed, still. I was going to ask the young lady, "wow, is that the same as the lifetime warranty the gym equipment company that was in the building before them gave but are now gone?" Not to mention the half-dozen businesses that have occupied the space before them.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:55 am
Aggie_engr wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:55 pm Some people pay $5k to $10k for a purebred dog, not to mention everything else a lawyer could add on such as mental anguish, pain and suffering. I don’t happen to have that amount laying around hence why I’m concerned with a civil suit.
I just learned how much pure breds are going for. My daughter is thinking about getting a dog to replace the one she had for 15 years that died four months ago.It was a pound puppy mix. I suggested a German shepard for the benefit of protection for when she and my grand daughter are at home. She laughed and told me she didn't have 4 grand for a dog. Thinking she was nuts I looked them up on web. I could not believe the prices people were asking. 4-10 grand for a darned dog. It is just loony! Your right! That could be one very high dollar law suite.
I fly rescues dogs. Last two missions was a German Shepherd, and then two Huskies. There are good dogs in shelters and rescue groups just waiting to be adopted for little money.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

03Lightningrocks

oohrah wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:42 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:55 am
Aggie_engr wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:55 pm Some people pay $5k to $10k for a purebred dog, not to mention everything else a lawyer could add on such as mental anguish, pain and suffering. I don’t happen to have that amount laying around hence why I’m concerned with a civil suit.
I just learned how much pure breds are going for. My daughter is thinking about getting a dog to replace the one she had for 15 years that died four months ago.It was a pound puppy mix. I suggested a German shepard for the benefit of protection for when she and my grand daughter are at home. She laughed and told me she didn't have 4 grand for a dog. Thinking she was nuts I looked them up on web. I could not believe the prices people were asking. 4-10 grand for a darned dog. It is just loony! Your right! That could be one very high dollar law suite.
I fly rescues dogs. Last two missions was a German Shepherd, and then two Huskies. There are good dogs in shelters and rescue groups just waiting to be adopted for little money.
No kidding? I did not realize these dogs were up for adoption by the general population. It seems like they would make the perfect dog for home deterrence and a family pet. Thanks for the heads up.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I would add that there are breed-specific rescue groups. Dogs whose owners have died, older dogs winding up in kill shelters, etc.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

texas yankee

Post by texas yankee »

I live in a residential area and I'm concerned about dog attacks when I'm off my property - when I'm out walking, and even more so when I'm riding my bike. I am always riding in areas where there are leash laws, and yet many animals are off leash and sometimes results in the owner frantically trying to control the dog that's coming at me while the owner is saying those famous words - "Don't worry, he won't bite", while I'm wondering whether or not to spray the dog, and probably the irate owner, too, who will likely come at me for pepper spraying his animal. I used to carry a pistol, and I would have no qualms about shooting an unrestrained animal that was coming at me - I do have LTC "insurance", but with the apparently cloudy laws about defending myself with a firearm (shooting a dog) in this type of situation, I've switched over to carrying pepper spray.
Last edited by texas yankee on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's in it for me ? :patriot:

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

Interestingly enough, just yesterday morning wife and I were walking out Doberman in our neighborhood when a pit bull came out from a yard we just walked by (gate wasn’t shut) and charged at us. I did not have mace :banghead: but my p365 was on, as well as my microtech hawk. However, I used verbal aggression and the dog ran away from us after I yelled at him “get back, get back” few times with stern and loud tone. Wish folks would watch their dogs better. In his (the dog) mind I suppose he saw us walking pass his property as threat and he just wanted to protect his property. His owner should have either had him in the house, chained or had the gate closed.

03Lightningrocks

parabelum wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:32 am Interestingly enough, just yesterday morning wife and I were walking out Doberman in our neighborhood when a pit bull came out from a yard we just walked by (gate wasn’t shut) and charged at us. I did not have mace :banghead: but my p365 was on, as well as my microtech hawk. However, I used verbal aggression and the dog ran away from us after I yelled at him “get back, get back” few times with stern and loud tone. Wish folks would watch their dogs better. In his (the dog) mind I suppose he saw us walking pass his property as threat and he just wanted to protect his property. His owner should have either had him in the house, chained or had the gate closed.
There is a greenbelt maybe 100 yards from my house with walking trails. The vast majority of people walking their dogs on the trails have them on a leash. Most dogs we see running wild around my neighborhood are escapees. Lady down the road form me use to let her tiny lttle Yorkie outside all the time. A couple times I almost hit it as it charged my truck wheels. One day I spot 2 pits running by the front of my house and hear a lady screaming out front. The pits had grabbed up that Yorkie by the neck and were running off like they had a rabbit. The screaming lady was not the owner. My brother and I chased after the dogs. They dropped the Yorkie a couple hundred yards away. It was dead. My brother carried it back to the lady who owned it. She seemed more mad than upset. The pound people were called and said there were two folks at fault. The Yorkie owner and who ever owned those stray Pits.Personally I would have no problem shooting a dog off the leash who attacks me or mine. But that is just me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”