Pig Hunting

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pig Hunting

Post by dlh » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:06 am

A mama hog will have a litter of 4 to 8---of which 12 will survive. :lol:

Couple years back I downed a hog with my .243. When I got to the hog it smelled so bad I turned around and walked off. Let the buzzards eat it.

kayt00
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kayt00 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:00 pm

I'm jealous, I took to hog hunting last year as a way to practice for a deer hunt my lovely wife and brothers helped pull together. Pounded the mud a bit out and around lake Lavone but no sight of the piggies, a ton of sign though including tracks that looked like they belonged to a large calf or small cow. To the best of my knowledge cows don't like thick wetlands and are a herding animal...not solitary. Anyway I never did get an arrow in flight for a pig but slaughtered a few bunnies. :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:09 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
mayor wrote:Is the meat from a wild hog that big, edible?
That is not a big wild hog.

Yes but the answer needs some explaining.

Boars or sows up to 100-125 lbs are both great table fare. The small ones can be smoked/roasted whole.

With the bigger pigs especially boars,you need to do a few things to make sure the meat is edible.

First, kill them quickly. If they get upset, their fight or flight kicks in the hormones released will make the meat more gamy, especially boars.

Second, Dress and clean them ASAP, especially in warm weather. Get the meat cooling. Big boars need a little extra attention during cleaning.

Third, place the meat quarters in an ice chest covered with ice. Allow the melting ice to drain. Wash the meat off and the tainted water from the chest once a day and cover with ice. Do this for 5-7 days especially with the big ones. This removes a lot of the blood and lessens the gamey taste.

Cut it up, freeze it. Make sausage. Grill it. Smoke it. Use it just like hamburger. It needs extra fat since wild pork is leaner than domestic. Adding beef or pork fat makes it taste better.
I've never been a fan of wild hog meat... my meat of choice is venison. :drool: :drool: :drool: deer chili deer jerky deer burgers deer sausage... oh baby....
NRA Member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
mayor wrote:Is the meat from a wild hog that big, edible?
That is not a big wild hog.

Yes but the answer needs some explaining.

Boars or sows up to 100-125 lbs are both great table fare. The small ones can be smoked/roasted whole.

With the bigger pigs especially boars,you need to do a few things to make sure the meat is edible.

First, kill them quickly. If they get upset, their fight or flight kicks in the hormones released will make the meat more gamy, especially boars.

Second, Dress and clean them ASAP, especially in warm weather. Get the meat cooling. Big boars need a little extra attention during cleaning.

Third, place the meat quarters in an ice chest covered with ice. Allow the melting ice to drain. Wash the meat off and the tainted water from the chest once a day and cover with ice. Do this for 5-7 days especially with the big ones. This removes a lot of the blood and lessens the gamey taste.

Cut it up, freeze it. Make sausage. Grill it. Smoke it. Use it just like hamburger. It needs extra fat since wild pork is leaner than domestic. Adding beef or pork fat makes it taste better.
I've never been a fan of wild hog meat... my meat of choice is venison. :drool: :drool: :drool: deer chili deer jerky deer burgers deer sausage... oh baby....
I made some bulk wild pork breakfast sausage from the 200+ lb wild sow I killed last November. It is excellent. I too like venison but wild pork has its place in my diet too.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:34 pm

kayt00 wrote:I'm jealous, I took to hog hunting last year as a way to practice for a deer hunt my lovely wife and brothers helped pull together. Pounded the mud a bit out and around lake Lavone but no sight of the piggies, a ton of sign though including tracks that looked like they belonged to a large calf or small cow. To the best of my knowledge cows don't like thick wetlands and are a herding animal...not solitary. Anyway I never did get an arrow in flight for a pig but slaughtered a few bunnies. :lol:
Actually, it's not at all uncommon for one to wander off by itself, especially a cow that is trying to hide her new baby.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lynyrd » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Just killed 9 more from my trap today. That brings me to somewhere around 40 so far in 2018. My freezer is full and nobody will come get the free meat if they have to gut, skin, and butcher it. They would take it if it was cut up and in packages. I ain't doing that for free.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Lynyrd wrote:Just killed 9 more from my trap today. That brings me to somewhere around 40 so far in 2018. My freezer is full and nobody will come get the free meat if they have to gut, skin, and butcher it. They would take it if it was cut up and in packages. I ain't doing that for free.
Pigs aren’t hard to clean. Get those lazy meat eaters clean their own stuff.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:28 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:Just killed 9 more from my trap today. That brings me to somewhere around 40 so far in 2018. My freezer is full and nobody will come get the free meat if they have to gut, skin, and butcher it. They would take it if it was cut up and in packages. I ain't doing that for free.
Pigs aren’t hard to clean. Get those lazy meat eaters clean their own stuff.
more like get the lazies to go hunt kill clean and process their own meat lol.
NRA Member

kayt00

Post by kayt00 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Pawpaw wrote: Actually, it's not at all uncommon for one to wander off by itself, especially a cow that is trying to hide her new baby.
But I haven't seen any other livestock out there, not that I'm looking for that when pig hunting. I'll entertain the idea that it could indeed be a mama swamp cow protecting her calf out there, but I tend to stay more alert thinking there's a gigantic hog waiting to jump me at the next stream crossing. :woohoo
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

rotor

Post by rotor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Just got a thermal scope. Haven't tried it yet. Nothing hides from thermal.

Return to “Hunting Photos”