My first Hog (Warning Blood)

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

My first Hog (Warning Blood)

Post by puma guy »

We started getting Hogs on our deer lease a little over two years ago after eradicating them back in the 1990's. I never shot one back then.The ones we now are plagued with have been showing up almost exclusively at night. I was watching a nice deer , contemplating maybe taking him when I looked at another shooting lane and saw this guy we've been after walk up at 4:30PM. The distance was 120 yards and the sun was in my eyes. I was wearing electronic ear protectors, so I couldn't hear the "whumph" that a hit makes and he took off like a scalded cat. No blood at the shot site nor on the trail he took. Found him by a tree about 80 yards away. We were estimating him at two hundred pounds, but after loading him in the back of the Kubota bed we're thinking more like 250.

Imageupload image on web
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My first Hog (Warning Blood)

Post by AF-Odin »

Nice size hog and appears to be a good hit right behind the shoulder. Did you dress him out or feed him to the coyotes? I usually only butcher for meat those under about 100#
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

:cheers2:
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

.270, or .30-'06?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

AF-Odin wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:17 pm Nice size hog and appears to be a good hit right behind the shoulder. Did you dress him out or feed him to the coyotes? I usually only butcher for meat those under about 100#
If you are leaving the bigger ones, try this. Get the larger ones ground into summer sausage, snack sticks, breakfast sausage, German link sausage, ground meat, anything ground basically. My processor does that for me when I bring him a large hog. I cannot tell the difference between a sow, boar, or small pig when they are ground up. However, for regular butchering 100lbs and under is about my limit also. I like the them to be 60-80 preferably if I’m just wanting some good chops.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

cmgee67 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:35 pm
AF-Odin wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:17 pm Nice size hog and appears to be a good hit right behind the shoulder. Did you dress him out or feed him to the coyotes? I usually only butcher for meat those under about 100#
If you are leaving the bigger ones, try this. Get the larger ones ground into summer sausage, snack sticks, breakfast sausage, German link sausage, ground meat, anything ground basically. My processor does that for me when I bring him a large hog. I cannot tell the difference between a sow, boar, or small pig when they are ground up. However, for regular butchering 100lbs and under is about my limit also. I like the them to be 60-80 preferably if I’m just wanting some good chops.
Agree. The smaller ones fit a variety of recipes, the larger ones end up as ground meat or sausage. For me, "larger" starts somewhere around 125-140Lbs. Often I'll save the back straps from a larger hog and cook them in a pressure for stew. The pressure cooker makes 'em real tender!

OP — Nice hog! Keep After 'Em!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:54 pm .270, or .30-'06?
.270 It's a Model 70 with a detachable mag. I think it was in the 1990's that they reverted back to the old design controlled feed rifles and put a detachable mag on this model. I have a Zeiss Conquest 6-20 x50 on it. I thought the shot was 120 yards, but I looked at my sheet in the stand today and that feeder is 178 yards away and he was right next to it.

Odin
Nice size hog and appears to be a good hit right behind the shoulder. Did you dress him out or feed him to the coyotes? I usually only butcher for meat those under about 100#
We just took the hams and backstraps. My hunting buddy is giving it to his next door neighbor. The rest for the Coyotes and Buzzards. He was a big boy. My estimation was wrong he was 253#.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:09 pm
.270 It's a Model 70 with a detachable mag. I think it was in the 1990's that they reverted back to the old design controlled feed rifles and put a detachable mag on this model. I have a Zeiss Conquest 6-20 x50 on it. I thought the shot was 120 yards, but I looked at my sheet in the stand today and that feeder is 178 yards away and he was right next to it.
Nice! Looking at the picture, I figured it was a long action. That same scope is on a custom-built rifle (Shilen barrel on a Sako action, in a McMillan stock) I’ve been holding and trying to sell for a friend who can no longer own firearms…chambered in .264 Winchester Magnum. Sadly, the caliber has entered into the domain of tinkerers rather than mainstream hunters, so it has been hard to generate much interest in the rifle.

But that’s cool that you have a classic wood-stocked controlled-feed Model 70. I like it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:30 am
puma guy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:09 pm
Nice! Looking at the picture, I figured it was a long action. That same scope is on a custom-built rifle (Shilen barrel on a Sako action, in a McMillan stock) I’ve been holding and trying to sell for a friend who can no longer own firearms…chambered in .264 Winchester Magnum. Sadly, the caliber has entered into the domain of tinkerers rather than mainstream hunters, so it has been hard to generate much interest in the rifle.

But that’s cool that you have a classic wood-stocked controlled-feed Model 70. I like it.
I shoot Federal Premium 130 gr Sierra Gameking Boat Tail Soft Points. I got a nice 9 pt buck this morning with it. The first firearm I bought and paid for my self was a Model 70 .243 in 1964, It was the first year of the newly designed and cheapened rifles that Winchester produced. My dad went with me because I was only 16 and I put it on lay-away at a discount store named Globe Shopping City. I started working for them two years later and eventually was a sporting goods manager. I reloaded back then and we had some zippy loads, glass bedded the action and adjusted the trigger for pull and over travel. It shot well. From 60 gr Sierra to 100 gr Nosler, we had a blast. I built a shooting bench and target frame. We vaporized quite a few small mammals with those 60 gr bullets. My .270 is much nicer than the .243 with cut checkering, though it's probably machine cut and nice smooth grain. You may have noticed the slip on recoil pad. I use them to extend the LOP for my long arms. It's a habit I picked up years ago because I I put a Pachmayr on a rifle that eventually sold and the guy had average arms and I had lost the original butt plate.
When I was selling guns .264 was quite popular. Besides run of the mill American brands we had high end firearms as well, Sako, Steyr Mannlicher, Colt Sauer, Franchi, Charles Daly, Beretta and others. We even acquired a Colt franchise, though we couldn't discount them.
The rifle your selling sounds like a really nice weapon. As you said probably a niche gun these days. As for classic wooden stocked rifles, I used to joke that after handing Colt AR-15 to a customer to peruse I I would have to pick up a nice Walnut and Blued Steel rifle to get the ich off my hands. I never sold a single AR-15 while I worked there, (5 years). People just didn't go for aluminum and plastic back then. Boy have things changed, including me. I now think they are the most beautiful creation going. Well, I hope you find a buyer for your friend's rifle. Sad he's had to give up his guns. I know a guy who's in the same boat.
I know we've never met at any of the little get togethers that Andy put together at Elm Fork, but I feel I know you from your many interesting and informative posts. Perhaps they'll be a meet up in the future. I travel to Mansfield several times a year to visit my daughter there.
I've prattled on far to long. Thanks for the comments and Merry Christmas!

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I got a nice 9 point buck the day after I killed the hog.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Nice Buck

TomV

Post by TomV »

Nice pig and nice deer.

Congrats.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Looks like you had a profitable hunt, congrats.

Return to “Hunting Photos”