Question about squirrel hunting?????

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Question about squirrel hunting?????

Post by flintknapper »

edit: delete
Last edited by flintknapper on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Re: Question about squirrel hunting?????

Post by flintknapper »

Speaking of Squirrels, I went down to my shop a couple of mornings ago and a Baby Fox Squirrel comes wandering out from the bushes and starts following me making a pitiful guttural barking sound.

We had a terrible storm here last Friday...so no doubt he was blown out of his nest. There is no sign of any nest left in the tree, no sign of an adult squirrel anywhere around, and no siblings (that I could find).

The Squirrel is about 4-5 weeks old (I'm guessing). He was cold and hungry so I took him up the to the house, washed him with flea soap in warm water, got the hair dryer...and fluffed him up (didn't like that).

Mixed some milk, salt and sugar together and found an eye dropper. Little bugger was definitely hungry. Fed him again a little while ago, and he's sleeping now. Got some real formula the other day.

Got him in a box with a heating pad in the bottom and an old shirt for him to get under.

He's a melanistic (black) phase Fox Squirrel, kinda cool. He's not black yet...just charcoal colored...but will probably turn jet black later, like some others we have around here.

Mrs. Flintknapper is having a fit over this, says she "doesn't want that rat in the house".

But... thats just pretty much “too bad�, I'm not going to let the little Squirrel die out there because it can't fend for itself.

Named him “Earle� (rhymes with Squirrel).

Took Earle out yesterday to let him “climb� a little bit. Here he is awake but resting (Good Earle)!

Here Earle has fallen asleep on the branch (Bad Earle, hawk bait)! We will need to talk about this.

Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

Flint, that is just too cool! He's a cute little guy!
TacTex
NRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Funny how so many of us "gun slingers" have a soft spot for animals, especially those in trouble.

Chas.

soccerguy59

Post by soccerguy59 »

Wish the squirrels in my attic were as dosel, they chew up the house, elec lines, holes in the siding. I catch them but others fill the void.
3/26/07 Plastic Received.

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

Haha! That's very true, Chas! There's just something about a furry critter. Even as a hunter, the little ones get me!
TacTex
NRA Life Member

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Very cool.

Way to go flintknapper! :thumbs2:

It is kind of hard to see where the squirrel ends and your arm begins in the first pic. :smilelol5:
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Very cute, but Flint, I hope you have a license for that thing. :nono:

A bunch of years ago, I "rescued" a couple of baby Grey Squirrels in a similar circumstance and was bragging on it to my boss - a Lieutenant in the New York State Park Police - and he asked me to show him my license to possess and rehabilitate wild animals.

Of course I had no idea such a thing existed, he did because he had such a license. I brought the babies in to Park Police HQ the next day and turned them over to him without further ceremony.

I believe the State of Texas prohibits possession and rehabilitation of all but rabbits. I found this out because I had a nest of baby bunnies in my back yard that I rescued from drowning (stupid doe made her nest in low ground)and called the animal folks about them, and they told me I could bring them in or keep them. Since the bunnies were not likely to be really compatible with our dogs, I chose to take them in.

I don't think Earl is in too much danger close to the tree trunk like that, hawks are skillful fliers but not that close in.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Lumberjack98 wrote:Very cool.

Way to go flintknapper! :thumbs2:

It is kind of hard to see where the squirrel ends and your arm begins in the first pic. :smilelol5:

Yeah, I've got my own "fur coat" I wear year round. ;-)

Kind of like "Esau" in the Bible, I am "an hairy man".

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

jimlongley wrote:Very cute, but Flint, I hope you have a license for that thing. :nono:

A bunch of years ago, I "rescued" a couple of baby Grey Squirrels in a similar circumstance and was bragging on it to my boss - a Lieutenant in the New York State Park Police - and he asked me to show him my license to possess and rehabilitate wild animals.

Of course I had no idea such a thing existed, he did because he had such a license. I brought the babies in to Park Police HQ the next day and turned them over to him without further ceremony.

I believe the State of Texas prohibits possession and rehabilitation of all but rabbits. I found this out because I had a nest of baby bunnies in my back yard that I rescued from drowning (stupid doe made her nest in low ground)and called the animal folks about them, and they told me I could bring them in or keep them. Since the bunnies were not likely to be really compatible with our dogs, I chose to take them in.

I don't think Earl is in too much danger close to the tree trunk like that, hawks are skillful fliers but not that close in.
Yes, I am aware of that. But... Thanks for bringing it up, someone else may benefit from it.

A license is indeed required. The nearest wildlife rescue person (to me) is about 45 miles away....and she cannot take him in right now. I know the local game warden....and he will not bother me about this.

If the "squirrel police" get wind of this and want to come take this little fireball off of my hands, fine.

Otherwise, I will continue to care for him and slowly reintroduce him back into the wild (which is right outside my back door).

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

jimlongley wrote: I don't think Earl is in too much danger close to the tree trunk like that, hawks are skillful fliers but not that close in.
Pretty much true of the red-tailed hawks, but the smaller "Sharp Shinned" hawks or Coopers hawks we have around here wouldn't think twice about taking him off that limb. He is not very agile at this age...and would stand no chance of evading a dedicated attack. The Sharp Shinned hawk generally preys on other birds...but they are opportunistic. Earle wouldn't be in any danger once he is grown up.

Until then, I'm keeping my eye on him. ;-)

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

My daughter came by and gave Earle a bottle of milk, he warmed up to her pretty quickly.

I managed to lose Earle for about 5 minutes during his morning feeding today. He crawled down between my leg and the arm of the reclining chair.

Unknown to me….there is a small tear in the fabric below the seat cushion. Well…Earle found it and promptly disappeared inside the recliner (not good). :shock:

I knew I couldn’t move the recliner for fear of crushing him in the mechanism, so I tried to reach down into the hole and feel around for him. I couldn’t get my fat forearm far enough into the chair to do any good... and figured that even if I did find him, pulling him back up through that hole (with him grabbing onto everything) would be about as easy as putting toothpaste back in the tube.

While I was examining the back of the chair for a way to remove it, Earle comes popping out from the bottom on his own. I swooped on him (as much as a 250 lb. man can swoop) before the little devil could go back inside the chair.

Good thing... because I was beginning to panic (just a little) at the thought of having to tell Mrs. Flintknapper that:

A. I had to cut the back out of your favorite recliner to get Earle out of it today. :roll:

B. Ummm….honey, wouldn’t you rather sit on the couch this evening, you never sit on the couch. No, I didn’t hear anything make a noise. “Where is Earle� you ask, well my love……..it’s like this…….. :lol:

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 »

Great story and that's very cool you took him in, live long and prosper Earle!! :cool:
Peace Officer

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

flintknapper wrote:Unknown to me….there is a small tear in the fabric below the seat cushion. Well…Earle found it and promptly disappeared inside the recliner (not good). :shock:

. . .

Good thing... because I was beginning to panic (just a little) at the thought of having to tell Mrs. Flintknapper that:

A. I had to cut the back out of your favorite recliner to get Earle out of it today. :roll:

B. Ummm….honey, wouldn’t you rather sit on the couch this evening, you never sit on the couch. No, I didn’t hear anything make a noise. “Where is Earle� you ask, well my love……..it’s like this…….. :lol:
"rlol"

Reminds me of the time I arrived home, way pre-cell phone days, to find my son in a panic and my wife in an uproar. Seems he was playing with his favorite hamster - Truckee by name, for no obvious reason from a six year old - and said hamster had disappeared and aforementioned son had not bothered to let his mother know. Of course this had happened before he left for his day's activities at school and he had also not let mom know about Truckee's delinquency when he returned in the afternoon, he had just let it go until evening feeding time when he announced that he didn't have to feed Truckee anyway, "because he was gone."

I got there to find the search well under way, son in tears in case Truckee had expired, wife sure that Truckee had expired and was going to stink up the house, and daughter equally sure that Truckee was hiding somewhere waiting to jump out and bite her (they had a history.)

I immediately got out the BIG flashlight and started a methodical search from the last known location of the miscreant, and almost immediately found Truckee nestled comfortably in the stuffing of an armchair very near the hamster cage and environment - cheerfully nursing HIS new litter.

And we had wondered why the little thing was getting fat.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

jimlongley wrote:
I immediately got out the BIG flashlight and started a methodical search from the last known location of the miscreant, and almost immediately found Truckee nestled comfortably in the stuffing of an armchair very near the hamster cage and environment - cheerfully nursing HIS new litter.

And we had wondered why the little thing was getting fat.
hope you didn't have to give the "birds and bees" speech after that....
:lol::
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “Hunting Photos”