Can you ID this duck?

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

brianko
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Can you ID this duck?

Post by brianko »

anygunanywhere wrote: Spoken like a true sportsman. Spent a lot of time in the marsh, have you brianko?
Do the salt marshes of South Texas around El Toro count? Spent many months in those...
It is nice to see that those that choose to hunt can count on your support for their second amendment rights.
I don't hunt, in fact. But I'm confused as to how you've somehow morphed this discussion into an attack on hunters' 2nd Amendment rights. In fact, I'm not surprised you've twisted my comments into an anti-hunting message.
If you don't look at the photos they will not disturb you.
Then you missed my point. I found the context in which they were posted (i.e., hunting game without identifying it first) offensive. The pictures themselves just look like a dead duck in a sink. I've seen worse.

It would seem to me that allowing such pictures to be posted in the context they were posted might be viewed as some as implicit approval of violating TPWD regulations involving species identification.
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

I am certain that the OP will make every attempt to conform to your rules and standards before posting any more pictures and questions and consult with you to make certain he is violating any game laws or hunting etiquette.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

brianko
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by brianko »

anygunanywhere wrote:I am certain that the OP will make every attempt to conform to your rules and standards before posting any more pictures and questions and consult with you to make certain he is violating any game laws or hunting etiquette.
The OP posts a message that indicates he might have been in violation of TPWD regulations involving species identification for purposes of adhering to bag limits, I (and others) point this out, and you cop an attitude. Why would that be?
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

brianko wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:I am certain that the OP will make every attempt to conform to your rules and standards before posting any more pictures and questions and consult with you to make certain he is violating any game laws or hunting etiquette.
The OP posts a message that indicates he might have been in violation of TPWD regulations involving species identification for purposes of adhering to bag limits, I (and others) point this out, and you cop an attitude. Why would that be?
You just won't quit! See you in a week.

Chas.

TxD
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TxD »

brianko wrote:
As for my question, I note that TWPD sets bag limits on ducks based upon species. So if you don't know what kind of duck you're shooting at, how, exactly, do you know when you've reached your bag limit?
brainko.
I realize that you can't respond, but to answer your question, here is the simplest way to do it.

DUCK DAILY BAG LIMIT:
The daily bag limit shall be 5 ducks with the following species and sex restrictions - two scaup, two redhead, and two wood duck; only one from the following aggregate bag: one hen mallard, or one pintail, or one canvasback, or one "dusky duck" (mottled duck, Mexican-like duck, black duck, and their hybrids); all other ducks not listed - five.

You only must be able to ID the 7 ducks in the paragraph above,
and this is relatively easy to do.
So if a duck appears and you positively ID it as none of the above, it is safe to shoot
even if you are unsure what other species it may be.
I think this is what NcongruNt was asking. (What is the species of this "other" duck?)

You also must be able to count. :lol:

This is much easier than the few years of the point system when you pretty much had to ID every duck.
Hope this helps.
Black Rifles Matter

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

TxD wrote:
brianko wrote:
As for my question, I note that TWPD sets bag limits on ducks based upon species. So if you don't know what kind of duck you're shooting at, how, exactly, do you know when you've reached your bag limit?
brainko.
I realize that you can't respond, but to answer your question, here is the simplest way to do it.

DUCK DAILY BAG LIMIT:
The daily bag limit shall be 5 ducks with the following species and sex restrictions - two scaup, two redhead, and two wood duck; only one from the following aggregate bag: one hen mallard, or one pintail, or one canvasback, or one "dusky duck" (mottled duck, Mexican-like duck, black duck, and their hybrids); all other ducks not listed - five.

You only must be able to ID the 7 ducks in the paragraph above,
and this is relatively easy to do.
So if a duck appears and you positively ID it as none of the above, it is safe to shoot
even if you are unsure what other species it may be.
I think this is what NcongruNt was asking. (What is the species of this "other" duck?)

You also must be able to count. :lol:

This is much easier than the few years of the point system when you pretty much had to ID every duck.
Hope this helps.

Thank you, you beat me to it.

It is clear... there are a few people here that do not duck hunt, don't understand the bag limits, but are more than willing to make comment on it.

NcongruNt, nice ducks. I hope you had an enjoyable time afield and that the few dissenting comments here... will not spoil your memories of that event.

Thank you also...for properly utilizing the game resource and for sharing your success with us. :tiphat:

Flint.
Last edited by flintknapper on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

TxD

Post by TxD »

NcongruNt wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Supper? Gumbo?

Anygunanywhere
Part of Christmas Dinner, I think. Depends on how well the recipes I have work.

This species of duck makes up the majority of my birds, and from what I can find, they have good flavor.
Yes, those Ringnecks are "full flavor" birds.
I like to slice the breasts in thin strips and marinate a couple hours in Teriyaki sauce.
You can then use them in any stir fry recipe that you like.
Cook to about medium rare.
Enjoy.
Black Rifles Matter

Topic author
NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 8

Post by NcongruNt »

TxD wrote:
NcongruNt wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Supper? Gumbo?

Anygunanywhere
Part of Christmas Dinner, I think. Depends on how well the recipes I have work.

This species of duck makes up the majority of my birds, and from what I can find, they have good flavor.
Yes, those Ringnecks are "full flavor" birds.
I like to slice the breasts in thin strips and marinate a couple hours in Teriyaki sauce.
You can then use them in any stir fry recipe that you like.
Cook to about medium rare.
Enjoy.
Since you know about these fellas, I have a couple questions...

Unlike any of the other ducks, these fellas have very tough skin, and I can't get it off the center area of the breast without ripping the meat. I ended up breasting the rest of them out skin-on after finding that the second one wanted to pull the meat with it like the first one did. I also observed that there's a lot more connective tissue throughout the bird than in the other species, making cleaning quite a bit more work. Is there a trick to getting the skin off?

I think I'm going to be making some sort of Duck a la Orange. Will these do well with this kind of recipe?
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

NcongruNt wrote:
I think I'm going to be making some sort of Duck a la Orange. Will these do well with this kind of recipe?
I don't see why not. The objective of cooking ducks with orange is that the orange counters the fat in the meat.

I am not a chef and I do not play one on the Food Channel.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

TxD

Post by TxD »

NcongruNt wrote: Since you know about these fellas, I have a couple questions...

Unlike any of the other ducks, these fellas have very tough skin, and I can't get it off the center area of the breast without ripping the meat. I ended up breasting the rest of them out skin-on after finding that the second one wanted to pull the meat with it like the first one did. I also observed that there's a lot more connective tissue throughout the bird than in the other species, making cleaning quite a bit more work. Is there a trick to getting the skin off?

As a general rule, except for Canvas backs, I only use puddle ducks in acidic/fruit recipes.

The Ringneck is a diver and as you have noted the skin and meat are some what tough.
Skin those breasts out with a sharp knife. Then fillet the meat from the breastbone and slice into 1/8" thick strips across the grain. This will make the meat less chewy.
Marinate, stir fry medium rare, and eat.

Edit to add:
If you don't like the taste of Teriyaki, you can marinate in Coca-Cola.
It will tenderize and not add a flavor.

You can prepare the meat as above but cut the strips into smaller pieces and use in a gumbo.
Don't ask for my secret gumbo recipe! :lol:
Black Rifles Matter

Topic author
NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Well, i went ahead and tried my orange glaze recipe for the ringnecks, and got compliments on it. It was a rather simple recipe, with some easy seasoning, and a glaze made of marmalade, honey, and Grand Marnier. I did get teriyaki sauce for future endeavors.

Here's the recipe I used:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sand ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was good stuff. :thumbs2:
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

NcongruNt,

Before plucking, did you pour hot water a couple of time over the area you intended to pluck?

If not, try that next time and you may be able to pluck the feathers out with ease.

Topic author
NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Abraham wrote:NcongruNt,

Before plucking, did you pour hot water a couple of time over the area you intended to pluck?

If not, try that next time and you may be able to pluck the feathers out with ease.
All I needed to pluck this time around was the breast. Those feathers are easy, so the hot water wasn't needed. I've got another hunt here in a couple of hours, and I want to try and dress these ones out whole, so I will be sure and try your suggestion, if I get any. It seems most of the ducks have moved on through these parts.

It may end up as a dove hunt instead, if we see any of those. There were huge flocks of white wings here all the way up until Christmas, then they all disappeared. It's as if they knew when the season opened back up again. I've only seen the odd bird or two at a time in the past couple of days. :grumble

I'm gonna bring my 91/30 along, just in case any hogs show up - we see new tracks in the mud by the tank every time we head back to the lease, but I've never actually seen any hogs yet. Failing that, it's mostly pasture land, so we could perhaps get some rabbits for some stew - my Marlin 60 will be making the trip out as well.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

MCook806

Post by MCook806 »

brianko wrote:Why would you shoot at a duck (or any animal) that you can't identify before you shoot it? Doesn't that sort of take the "sport" out of hunting?

I found your photos rather offensive. Of course, I'm probably the only one here with that opinion. But I felt it had to be said.

Followup: Just noticed this is actually in a topic called "Hunting Photos." Who would have imagined...and I thought this was a CHL board.
I have a pocket full of "WAH" for you Mr. Peta.

Your definitly on the wrong forums and no it didn't need to be said.

Return to “Hunting Photos”