certain time of year to hunt rabbit

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
05kas05
Posts in topic: 3

certain time of year to hunt rabbit

Post by 05kas05 »

sorry guys i know it said photos so please forgive me: ok is there a certain time of the year that you are supposed to hunt rabbits and squirels.the reason for my question is a friend of mine that lives in new mexico went hunting rabbits the other day and he said when he tried to clean them they had worms,he was not sure if he should cook them or not i of coarse said hell no but i could be wrong.i am not sure he really knows what he is doing as this is a new adventure for him.so if anyone could chime in and help out with some info it would be appreciated.thankyou

Taxman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: certain time of year to hunt rabbit

Post by Taxman »

I always heard never eat a rabbit in a month without a "R" in it. The worms are probably some type of parasite, if the game is thoroughly cooked it would probably be alright to eat, but the thought of eating worms would be enough for me to discard the fare. I am not a physician, so take my advice at your own risk.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

As a lad back in Tennessee, I hunted and ate a lot of rabbitt and squirrel. IIRC, the season ran from about Thanksgiving through January; i.e., the colder winter months. That was then and this is now. What with global warming and all, who knows :mrgreen: .

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

With no closed season, it's hard to tell. I seem to remember cool month hunting of squirrels for eating, but then again, like OldGringo says, with all this "global climate change" (the new global warming term) who knows? :biggrinjester:
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Vic303

Post by Vic303 »

Rabbit fever = tularemia. Not good stuff to catch.
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/tularemia/faq.asp

Topic author
05kas05

Post by 05kas05 »

thanks for the link vic303 definitly dont want to catch that.this is why i was trying to find out about when and when not to hunt and eat rabbits and the like
i am going to new mexico in september possibly and we were supposed to go rabbit hunting .i know people hunt and eat them so is it a matter of cooking them right or am i just missing something.i guess more research is in order.

amaguy

Post by amaguy »

Don't know about squirrels, but I always hunted rabbits only after the first hard freeze in the fall. Supposedly, the sick/diseased ones were killed by the freeze, leaving the healthy ones around.

amaguy

iamomeed

Post by iamomeed »

I'm a med student.....all wild animals have parasites, even non wild animals. Worms come in all sizes. They are even microscopic worms. Just make sure you cook everything well done and you will be OK. You dont want these worms infesting your body and eating your heart and lungs.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

iamomeed wrote:I'm a med student.....all wild animals have parasites, even non wild animals. Worms come in all sizes. They are even microscopic worms. Just make sure you cook everything well done and you will be OK. You dont want these worms infesting your body and eating your heart and lungs.
Thanks for the mental picture. You just assisted with my diet by killing my appetite. The only time I felt worse than after reading your post was when I used to talk to my buddy that was the county coroner! :ack: "rlol"
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:
iamomeed wrote:I'm a med student.....all wild animals have parasites, even non wild animals. Worms come in all sizes. They are even microscopic worms. Just make sure you cook everything well done and you will be OK. You dont want these worms infesting your body and eating your heart and lungs.
Thanks for the mental picture. You just assisted with my diet by killing my appetite. The only time I felt worse than after reading your post was when I used to talk to my buddy that was the county coroner! :ack: "rlol"
There was a cinematic classic a dozen or so years ago named "Attack of the Killer Rabbits". Rabbits don't like to be shot at. :woohoo

rbraughn

Post by rbraughn »

Worms....

The Skillet will Killit !!!

Worms are disgusting to look at, but truth is a lot of animals have worms and you just never see them.

Has anyone ever caught Black Drum (fish)? Sometimes you cut into them and it looks like Vermicelli oozing out of their meat LOL :ack:
Be insensitive....Tell the truth !!

Topic author
05kas05

Post by 05kas05 »

well thanks for the info guys i got it,three rules for eating them are 1.kill it good 2.clean it good and 3.cook it good. that being said is there a certain temp you should cook them to.or is it more of a visual thing like if it is not bleeding its good to go.thanks again for the info it is trully helpfull

Return to “Hunting Photos”