Ruger 77/17 uses .17 Hornady to dispatch 235 squirrels.Video

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Ruger 77/17 uses .17 Hornady to dispatch 235 squirrels.Video

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a 7 minute, 25 second of a guy using a Ruger 77/17 rifle with a nice scope
to do some serious thinning of the ground squirrel population in a rural area.

He estimates the total kills at 235 + or -

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger 77/17 uses .17 Hornady to dispatch 235 squirrels.Video

Post by mr surveyor »

I love the Ruger M77...the guy did some serious pest control! Looked like several hit and runs, but he probably scored 70% or better in the video. It's amazing how the tiny .17 cal projectile can nearly turn a squirrel inside out due to the velocity

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

They looked kinda look like gray or cat squirrels to me.

Unless you're going to eat them or they're causing damage of some kind, why slaughter them?

I'm a hunter, but if what I'm witnessing in the video is killing just for killing sake, I don't get it.

Can anyone explain this?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This really belongs in the Hunting Photos forum. Could a moderator please move it?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:This really belongs in the Hunting Photos forum. Could a moderator please move it?
Your wish is my command.

And yes, as a reminder, anything that has images of dead animals should MUST be placed in the Hunting Photos section. :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

Abraham wrote:They looked kinda look like gray or cat squirrels to me.

Unless you're going to eat them or they're causing damage of some kind, why slaughter them?

I'm a hunter, but if what I'm witnessing in the video is killing just for killing sake, I don't get it.

Can anyone explain this?
I'm with you. I've hunted squirrels all my life and judging from choice of weapon and shot placement, this guy is just killing them for the fun of it. To each his own I guess but I was taught to never take an animal I wasn't planning on eating. Animals that are destroying property and/or crops excluded.

The Annoyed Man

You can't really determine from the video if the squirrels are destroying anything, or are being harvested for food, or are simply targets of opportunity for someone who likes to kill squirrels. One thing that is for certain is that whoever is shooting that Ruger is having a lot of fun at the squirrels' expense.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Keith B wrote:Your wish is my command.
I wish I had a Kimber Pro CDP II. "rlol"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Keith B wrote:Your wish is my command.
I wish I had a Kimber Pro CDP II. "rlol"
I'm not a Genie, just a poor moderator. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

KeithB and TAM:

As the OP, I put this in the "Shotguns and Rifles" section since the weapon was a rifle.

Should I post any such videos in the future, I will try to remember that they should go into
the Hunting Photos section.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Judging by the amount of squirrels in the opening of the video, there appears to be an abundance of the squirrels.
235 +/- squirrels less on the farm... this was taken over a two day period where the problem was not solved completely, but certainly addressed... The dead land in the film use to be rows of trees, and the piles of limb and branches in the video are whats left of the trees. The green is the neighboring alfalfa which they are severely threatening...
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LaserTex

Post by LaserTex »

After spending $1600 last winter to repair the damage to my attic electrical wiring, the investment and stress relief of killing them all would suit me just fine. 2 weeks ago I found another hole gnawwed through the eave into the attic...poison baits in place this time!

Doug :txflag:

and yes, that is IN the city so I can't shoot any of them...I asked. Animal Control recommended poison baits placed in multiple spots throughout my attic.
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

:thumbs2:

Some nice varmit eradication!
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

A-R

Post by A-R »

LaserTex wrote:After spending $1600 last winter to repair the damage to my attic electrical wiring, the investment and stress relief of killing them all would suit me just fine. 2 weeks ago I found another hole gnawwed through the eave into the attic...poison baits in place this time!

Doug :txflag:

and yes, that is IN the city so I can't shoot any of them...I asked. Animal Control recommended poison baits placed in multiple spots throughout my attic.
Try one of those high-powered Gamo air rifles. With proper ammo, they can meet or even exceed the muzzle velocity of a .22 rifle ... 1300+ FPS. Should be perfectly legal to shoot inside your own home (being extra careful of your background etc).

Former boss of mine used to be an exterminator, and he would often camp out in a building (bakeries, grocery stores, feed stores) with a high-powered air rifle and night vision goggles (wish I had a photo of this "rlol" ) and send double-digit number of rodents to their maker.

particle

Post by particle »

The video description says "The green is the neighboring alfalfa which they are severely threatening..." - I assume that alfalfa is someones feed crop for their livestock. I suspect most of us are used to seeing maybe a dozen squirrels roaming around any given area at any point in time. 235 dead rodents with countless more remaining - that's not cute. That's an infestation with a lack of natural predators to balance the equation. I have to imagine all of those dead carcasses laying around is certain to attract a new coyote population to help even things out.
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Hunting Photos”