Helicopter Hog High

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Sidro
Posts in topic: 3

Helicopter Hog High

Post by Sidro »

Went up with a friend this morning in a Bell B47 after hogs. Took Ar-15 with Eotech sight and 80 rounds of ammo. Only got 6 confirmed hogs down but shot all the ammo and had one heck of a time. All the hogs took multiple hits to keep them down so the 5.56x45 is a little light. Pretty tough shooting with running hogs and moving chopper but what an adrenaline rush. Will get another chance in a couple of weeks.
If any of you get a chance to do this I highly reccomend it. Now all I need to do is hit the lotto, buy a chopper, hire a pilot and get after it. Oh yeah and buy more ammo.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Helicopter Hog High

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You need an M1A, or FN FAL, AR10, or FNAR — a heavier (and therefore more steady in a bouncing chopper) rifle, firing a more potent .308 round, with removable 20 round box magazines. 80 rounds into 4 mags, and you're good to go.

I'd love to try that some day, but I don't know anybody with a helicopter who wants to give me airtime over a lease or farm. I imagine that it's quite an adrenaline rush.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

silverbear
Posts in topic: 1

Post by silverbear »

Pictures and/or video please! Some of us need to live vicariously through others! ;-)
I support the right to arm bears.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Swap in a 6.8 upper for that 5.56, shoot 110 gr. Accubonds or 95 gr. Barnes TSX and watch your results change dramatically.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=314425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

juggernaut

Post by juggernaut »

One of these would probably work.

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

I have 2 DPMS .308 rifles so will probably just swap the Eotech to one of them. Most times the .223 is enough but since they are not standing still and running their adrenaline is up making them harder to drop. Also used a mesh hull catcher to keep the empties out of the blades or rear prop. Would really like to try the R25 in 7mm08 but hate to remove the scope as it is dead on and those shells are expensive. May give the Ar15 one more try as I have 240 rounds of 68 gr. coming for it.

If anyone gets to try this I reccomend a vertical fore grip as this makes it a lot easier to handle the rifle.
Juggernaut that would sure make it a lot easier but would take all the fun out of it.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Sidro wrote:If anyone gets to try this I reccomend a vertical fore grip as this makes it a lot easier to handle the rifle.
Juggernaut that would sure make it a lot easier but would take all the fun out of it.
I just ordered a bunch of parts to pimp my carbine last night. Among the items I ordered was the Magpul AFG angled fore grip.

I'll be mounting it to a YHM Lightweight rifle length free floating rail system, but closer to the magwell than shown in the picture.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

I've got a friend that does this often - it's a charter type operation.
Check it out on YouTube: search for "helicopter hog hunt" and "Texas" or a variation of it.
I'm pretty sure you'll find contact information to set up a trip for yourself - have fun!

Sniper John

Post by Sniper John »

I think most are using shotguns and buckshot on those shoots.
Yes, show us pictures and video next time. Sounds like it would be a blast to get to do something like that.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

There was a crash during a hunt like this recently. Sounds cool but there is a high level of risk involved. Lots of distractions for the pilot.

http://www.ksat.com/news/22764483/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Dan20703 wrote:There was a crash during a hunt like this recently. Sounds cool but there is a high level of risk involved. Lots of distractions for the pilot.
I can imagine that there are lots of distractions that occur during the "thrill of the chase."
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Guys i do not have the video equipment to film a hunt, although I wish I did. Most shooters are using buckshot but I tried it the hard way. The pilot is very careful about his flying and at no time made any rash moves or got too low to the ground. He paid total attention to where we were at all times and I advised of movement of the hogs so as to not distract him from his job. Yeah I am still pumped up a day later and just waiting for the next run.

sneedb82

Post by sneedb82 »

flintknapper wrote:Swap in a 6.8 upper for that 5.56, shoot 110 gr. Accubonds or 95 gr. Barnes TSX and watch your results change dramatically.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=314425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes sir. Just shot 110gr Accubonds and 85gr TSX at some hogs last weekend, and the results were devastating, even at 250 yards!

Looking forward to loading the 95gr TTSX i have in my ammo box

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

I wanna go play!
I'll buy the beer for later that night! :fire
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

Ageofease08

Post by Ageofease08 »

i also want to play this game, heck, we can do at my ranch if yall want. Have guns, will travel. thats sounds like so much fun. I would kills, no pun intended, to shoot some piggies out of a helicopter.
-----------
J.A.Salinas
"Natural Selection is another way of God telling you you're an idiot"

Return to “Hunting Photos”