Preserving a Pelt

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Preserving a Pelt

Post by pbwalker »

I'm heading out to the lease this weekend and am going to put my new R-15 through the ringer on, hopefully, some Yotes.

As I have never hunted coyote before, I'd like to keep a pelt or two to hang in my garage.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I've read some things about Borax...

I figured I would get input from those who have done it before.
:tiphat:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

NOS

Re: Preserving a Pelt

Post by NOS »

Are you going to get them tanned at a taxidermist? If so just skin them and make sure you keep the pelts cold, or depending on the tanning method, you could salt them. The main thing if you want to keep the pelt from rotting is to take care of it right away by cleaning and cooling it off as quickly as possible.
But, I hate to tell you that a Coyote's coat this time of year is not exactly a beautiful thing. Winter coats are by far the best, but if you get a good one, skin 'er out and take it home.
I've never tried borax for anything other than forge welding and killing cockroaches :roll:, but I have heard of using it to "tan" fish, reptiles, and birds. Don't know about 'yote skins I've never done one that way. Seems like it might work though, even the old methods of tanning used ashes for the lye content. So, borax might work just fine.
I'm sure someone might be able to help you with some more advice than I'm capable of. I've taken my share of pelts, but haven't done all of the prep and tanning myself.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
06/06/2010 Class Taken
06/17/2010 Packet Mailed
06/19/2010 Packet Received
07/07/2010 Status Online/Application Missing
07/12/2010 Mailed New Application
07/15/2010 Application Complete
08/18/2010 Fingerprints Complete
08/24/2010 Background Complete
08/27/2010 Mailed
09/01/2010 Plastic

Ageofease08

Post by Ageofease08 »

i have always wanted to make a bear rug or something out of a deer or a hog. just think it would be different. i just dont wanna spend he money on a off chance..
-----------
J.A.Salinas
"Natural Selection is another way of God telling you you're an idiot"

Toadstone

Post by Toadstone »

04/11/10 Class taken
05/29/10 Plastic in hand

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Ageofease08 wrote:i have always wanted to make a bear rug or something out of a deer or a hog. just think it would be different. i just dont wanna spend he money on a off chance..
How do you get bear from hog?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

boba

Post by boba »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Ageofease08 wrote:i have always wanted to make a bear rug or something out of a deer or a hog. just think it would be different. i just dont wanna spend he money on a off chance..
How do you get bear from hog?
Use it as bait.

But he probably means a full pelt rug.

Return to “Hunting Photos”