Holy Cats!

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AddyLO
Posts in topic: 2

Holy Cats!

Post by AddyLO »

Has anyone else seen this email? The author/photographer is unknown (it was passed to me by my folks). Not sure if it's real or not but it sure looks convincing.

-----------------------
"This is freaking scary. As you know I was alone when I downed this elk in ND. I was using my camera’s timer attached to my shooting stick to give me enough time to get into the picture. I knew there were a lot of cats in the area but had no idea they would come in this close to people. He had to be within 10 feet of me and I didn’t even know it. I about crapped my pants when I looked at the pictures the next morning and saw he was there."

OldSchool

Re: Holy Cats!

Post by OldSchool »

I can tell you from experience: Cougars will be close by far more often than you'd care to believe!
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dave2 »

Oooh.... and that cougar is ready to kill! He's already activated his demon eye powers!
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I've seen that exact cat photo with the demon eyes and forward leg without the guy and elk in front. I believe it is photoshopped, combining a night photo of a cougar with a night photo of a kill.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Photoshop.

Original photo of cougar.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/hunting/stalking.asp

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You all beat me to it..... Definitely PhotoShopped.

For one thing, even if it were real, no self-respecting mountain lion would be just standing there like that. It would have been in ninja mode, crouched down, if it were that close to prey. They see better in the dark than we do. There is no way a big cat would have just stumbled onto the hunter like that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
AddyLO

Post by AddyLO »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Original photo of cougar.
Now why didn't I check Snopes? Thanks!

Pretty cool photo but I knew it just didn't smell right.

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

The Annoyed Man wrote:You all beat me to it..... Definitely PhotoShopped.

For one thing, even if it were real, no self-respecting mountain lion would be just standing there like that. It would have been in ninja mode, crouched down, if it were that close to prey. They see better in the dark than we do. There is no way a big cat would have just stumbled onto the hunter like that.
Regardless whether it was photoshopped, the big cats will stand there just like that -- usually at a small distance. I've been followed by them in just that manner. Paid a lot more attention after I discovered it the first time.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Beyond the fake cougar in the photo, this also suffers from the same stand-behind size exaggeration as the "hogzilla" photos that like to circulate via e-mail.

The guy is obviously much further behind the animal than reality would allow were he actually touching it, and he's pretending to hold up the head by the antlers, but no part of his hand breeches the radius of the antler itself. It's the same technique used in old scifi movies to make average-sized actors in monster suits appear to be giants.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And where's his rifle? Don't most people posing for this kind of picture usually have the rifle they used with them in the picture? All this guy has is his binoculars.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

C-dub wrote:And where's his rifle? Don't most people posing for this kind of picture usually have the rifle they used with them in the picture? All this guy has is his binoculars.
You mean like this?
Sorry, the only Cougar in mine is me.
Shock 'em Coogs!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Exactly!!!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

shh83
Location: Stephenville, Texas (one more week) and Rowlett, Texas

Post by shh83 »

wow!

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Raise the bull flag on this one...that's for sure.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Total PhotoShop fake. You can take that to the bank.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Hunting Photos”