GSP

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 5

GSP

Post by snatchel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Well, I adopted. 1 yr old German shorthaired pointer today :) I have a Rhodesian ridgeback as well, so I'm not new around hunting dogs-- but I'm fairly unfamiliar with this breed. Any tips or info y'all would like to share? He can sit, but that's about it. LoL... Will be working extensively with him as far as obedience training, but no intentions to actually use him to hunt with. What do y'all think?

FYI, I understand if y'all move this..
No More Signature

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Re: GSP

Post by Crossfire » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Well, we could leave it here, but you would have to post a picture of the pup!
Texas LTC and Utah CFP Instructor, MorphoTrust Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Lewisville, Texas. (Metro Dallas/Denton County), Home of the Fighting Farmers.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:01 am

GSP?

I was getting psyched to read about a shootout involving the Georgia State Patrol.

Can't answer the dog question. Someone else will have to do that.

SIA
Arms discourage and keep the invader in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...
Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of them.

Thomas Paine, 1737-1809

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:57 am

Used to own a GSP several years ago. He was a great dog. They are classic gun dogs. Very energetic and need lots of exercise. Also very affectionate.

One thing to look out for is seizures. Ours had a seizure disorder, and apparently it is not uncommon with this breed. That doesn't mean yours will be affected, but it is something you should be aware of. Linkey.

In our case, medications controlled Buster's seizures for a while, but eventually the meds would no longer control it and he seized all the time. We had to have him put to sleep.

However, we took him in as a starved, dehydrated, stray puppy about 3 months old who was wandering my in-laws' neighborhood, so we knew nothing about his heredity or anything like that.

Those things said, the odds are that your pup will be healthy, and GSPs are great dogs. You'll have a blast with him.

BTW, we adopted a new dog too yesterday - a boxer/lab/you-name-it mix. Quite a handsome boy by the name of Trapper. He's a year and half old, and I'm guessing he's about 55-60 lb. We got him from the pet rescue folks camped out in front of the local Petsmart. He appears to be healthy and free of any issues, but we'll get him checked out at he vet's office on Monday just to be sure.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

longtooth

Post by longtooth » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:26 am

Crossfire wrote:Well, we could leave it here, but you would have to post a picture of the pup!

I am one of the mods here & my only complaint is the pictuer issue.
I wanna see some.
Welcome to CHLforum. :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:55 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:Used to own a GSP several years ago. He was a great dog. They are classic gun dogs. Very energetic and need lots of exercise. Also very affectionate.

One thing to look out for is seizures. Ours had a seizure disorder, and apparently it is not uncommon with this breed. That doesn't mean yours will be affected, but it is something you should be aware of. Linkey.

In our case, medications controlled Buster's seizures for a while, but eventually the meds would no longer control it and he seized all the time. We had to have him put to sleep.

However, we took him in as a starved, dehydrated, stray puppy about 3 months old who was wandering my in-laws' neighborhood, so we knew nothing about his heredity or anything like that.

Those things said, the odds are that your pup will be healthy, and GSPs are great dogs. You'll have a blast with him.

BTW, we adopted a new dog too yesterday - a boxer/lab/you-name-it mix. Quite a handsome boy by the name of Trapper. He's a year and half old, and I'm guessing he's about 55-60 lb. We got him from the pet rescue folks camped out in front of the local Petsmart. He appears to be healthy and free of any issues, but we'll get him checked out at he vet's office on Monday just to be sure.
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:28 am

Welcome aboard the board.

GSPs are great dogs as TAM stated above. I take it since your dog is older you got him from a rescue group. My wife and I work with a rescue group, one of the board members (a CHL student of mine) has GSPs and works with the national GSP organization. Her dogs are awesome!

The group I work with is called Sweet Pups - - - the ladies love it when I come to the adoption/fundraiser events at the local Gander Mountain they know I'm packing.

Now, about that picture of your dog?

edit: City? In case we want to come see the dog! ;-)
Last edited by MoJo on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:32 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:BTW, we adopted a new dog too yesterday - a boxer/lab/you-name-it mix. Quite a handsome boy by the name of Trapper. He's a year and half old, and I'm guessing he's about 55-60 lb. We got him from the pet rescue folks camped out in front of the local Petsmart. He appears to be healthy and free of any issues, but we'll get him checked out at he vet's office on Monday just to be sure.
TAM I am so glad y'all got another dog. It never takes away all the hurt of losing a longtime friend and companion, it does make the pain less. I know Trapper has a great "furever" home. Give him a Milk Bone for me.

edit: we need a mug shot of "Trapper"
Last edited by MoJo on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:31 am

No More Signature

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:52 am

No More Signature

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:35 am

Well, allrighty then! You have now met the requirements by posting the picture.

Great looking dog! As they say... cute as a speckled pup!
Texas LTC and Utah CFP Instructor, MorphoTrust Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:41 am

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:GSP?
I was getting psyched to read about a shootout involving the Georgia State Patrol.
SIA
At first I thought the OP misspelled "GPS". ;-)

Snatchel - Thanks for posting the photos. Congratulations on your new dog. :cheers2:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:44 am

LoL. Yep, he is a pretty boy for sure. We started with fetch this morning.. He is gonna be a lot of work. Thanks for a heads up on health issues- seizures, jeez. I'll keep a good eye on them. As far as adoption, yes we adopted him from a local shelter. We don't buy from breeders, we have adopted a greyhound, the ridgeback, and the GSP so far.

Oh, and San Angelo, TX!
No More Signature

Salty1

Post by Salty1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:01 pm

They are really nice dogs, can be a bit sensitive so hitting or yelling at them could make them become hand shy. Very trainable and will be a wonderful family member. If your going to hunt him I suggest starting out slow around lower caliber guns, something like a 22 would be best and see how he reacts..... best of luck, looks like you have a keeper....
Salty1

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:04 pm

snatchel wrote:LoL. Yep, he is a pretty boy for sure. We started with fetch this morning.. He is gonna be a lot of work. Thanks for a heads up on health issues- seizures, jeez. I'll keep a good eye on them. As far as adoption, yes we adopted him from a local shelter. We don't buy from breeders, we have adopted a greyhound, the ridgeback, and the GSP so far.

Oh, and San Angelo, TX!
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new dog! My brother has had 2 GSP's, the older one just died last fall. Jenny was a great pheasant/quail dog. The craziest thing I saw was my brother sitting in a kitchen chair after a day's bird hunting and Jenny crawling up in his lap. I don't care what you say, a GSP is not a lap dog!! Jenny looked a lot like your dog!

Return to “Hunting Photos”