Not a bad day.........

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Not a bad day.........

Post by flintknapper »

Besides her Yodel Dog this morning:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=623838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Her buck this evening……..

Quick Story of it:

Got on stand early (4:15 p.m.) nothing sighted until 5:30 p.m. when a young high racked 8 point came through, my Daughter looked at it...and wisely decided to "pass", (it will make a nice buck in a couple more years). A single Doe with her fawn appeared about 150 yds. out later in the evening... with not much shooting light left.

Where her box stand is located (back in the pines) it gets dark much earlier than in the pastures. Often... it is almost too dark to see in the woods, when you still have 15 minutes of legal shooting time and can still see clearly out on a pasture.

Junior was looking at the Doe and Fawn to be sure there wasn't something in behind them....when indeed she DID spot something. But...it was so far away....and the light fading so fast...it was hard for her tell at first what exactly was coming up behind the Does.

She put down her Steiner's and reached back for my Pentax Binoculars to get a better view. I could tell by her excitement that we might have a "shooter", she quickly handed the Bino's back to me to "confirm"... and when the buck looked down our direction... there was no doubt.

The buck walked right past the two does (neither one in estrous...obviously) and took a track that would bring it in a bit closer IF it didn't disappear into the brush. When it didn't pop out where we thought it would....I was afraid it had vanished down an alternate trail.

The light was really getting dim now...when Jessica (with her Eagle Eyes) picked up the Buck on a logging road about 110 yards to our right.

The buck was standing broadside on the road but wasn't going to be there long....and we were right on the ragged edge for being able to see the animal through the scope.

She quickly pulled her rifle in from one window and got it pointed the new direction where the buck was still standing, then immediately realized that she would need to use the lighted reticle feature and chose the Green dot over the Red, settled the cross-hairs and pressed the trigger.

At the report...I could see the buck jump straight up and kick out behind itself. That is generally a very good sign (meaning a hard hit deer, usually heart shot). We waited a bit, recounted the event and her sight picture then got down and looked for the buck.

The first pic is exactly how we found him (tangled in the brush). It took both of us to drag him out.

Spartans ask not how many, but where!

speedsix

Re: Not a bad day.........

Post by speedsix »

...great memories...good eatin'!!! What caliber is her rifle and where did she hit it??? Healthy-lookin coyote, too...looks well-fed...

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

That's gettin' huntin' season started in style.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Great shot as I think I see the entry wound behind the right scapula! LOVELY buck! Good sized!
:tiphat:
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Divided Attention wrote:Great shot as I think I see the entry wound behind the right scapula! LOVELY buck! Good sized!
:tiphat:

Correct.

Bullet was placed just over the top of the heart.

7mm-08

140 gr. Combined Technology BST

42.5 grs RE-15

She used the same round to take a Bobcat just awhile ago. Normally we leave the Bob-kitties alone...but they are getting too numerous in one area of the ranch.

Edit to add this mornings Bobcat:

Spartans ask not how many, but where!

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...them bobcats are just like redheads...beautiful and dangerous...

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Great hunting, great shooting, and a fine buck - congratulations to both huntress and Dad.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

That coyote was pretty darned big and well-fed. I shot a few when I was a kid in S. Texas, but they were mostly mangy and scrawny...not like that one at all. Oh, and congrats on the VERY nice buck, too. :thumbs2:

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Thanks for sharing, that's a nice 8 point. Love me some 7-08. :clapping:

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

Congratulations to your daughter! Good job! I bet she and Dad are still smiling!!

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

Nice Buck!
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Rat-30

Post by Rat-30 »

Awesome Buck, and and awesome story!

Hope all is well.

John
All the best,

John

Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Member
Visit our website at: http://www.kfatx.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Hunting Photos”