Hog hunting questions

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Rusty Wrenches
Posts in topic: 3

Hog hunting questions

Post by Rusty Wrenches »

A buddy says I can hog hunt on his land but being that I've never hunted before, I wouldn't know the first thing about cleaning our anything else. Is there a good place I can learn or am I better off taking it somewhere? And what kind of rates can I expect?
glock 19

carry whenever and wherever possible. you never know when you'll need it. its not being paranoid, its being prepared.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Hog hunting questions

Post by WildBill »

Ask your buddy if you can bring a buddy who has experience hunting and dressing a hog.
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

Look here. Then ask WildBill to go with you. He knows hogs.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the South / Central Texas area, I'd be happy to show you...

:tiphat:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
Rusty Wrenches
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rusty Wrenches »

I'm just south of houston
glock 19

carry whenever and wherever possible. you never know when you'll need it. its not being paranoid, its being prepared.

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

I have always wanted to go hog hunting.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

Never shot a hog myself but collected many deer. I imagine that the dismantling would be similar. Everyone I know that have taken hogs tell me smaller is better.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A friend took me hog hunting on his hunting property outside of Mingus back in March. I asked him, what do you do with the ones we shoot? He said, leave 'em where they lie. The bones will be picked clean inside of a week, and in a couple of months even the bones will be scattered and gone.

Sure enough, we even found hog droppings that contained hog hair. Apparently some of the survivling hogs had fed off the carcasses of their fallen comrades. Disgusting creatures.

I like pork as much as the next guy, but after seeing hairy hog poo, I lost any appetite I had for eating wild hog meat......but that's just me.
:shock:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Dan20703 wrote:Never shot a hog myself but collected many deer. I imagine that the dismantling would be similar. Everyone I know that have taken hogs tell me smaller is better.
Hog's don't skin as easily as deer. And that varies by size/fat condition. There is also the external nastiness factor -- some were so muddy, gnarly, tick infested that we simply threw them over the cliff.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Is the .223 too light to shoot the hogs with? Would I be better served using my SKS?
I have an opportunity to go on a friends land, and wondering what to bring...

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

The Marshal wrote:Is the .223 too light to shoot the hogs with? Would I be better served using my SKS?
Others will probably disagree, but I would go with the SKS. It may make a difference if you are shooting for meat or just to shoot the hog full of holes.
NRA Endowment Member

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

The Marshal wrote:Is the .223 too light to shoot the hogs with? Would I be better served using my SKS?

I hunt with 5.56, no prob. Soft nose bullets, and shoot them in the neck-they drop like a sack of potatoes. The older males have that shield that makes some shot angles difficult, but your .223 is plenty.

OP- go to youtube and watch the videos on cleaning. Hogs aren't too hard to clean, but unless you get a younger one, the meat isn't that great. And it's true, sometimes they are so nasty, muddy, filthy, and tick ridden that you don't want to mess with them anyway. We kill them for food in the winter months when there are less ticks and what-not. The summer pigs are just for fun.
No More Signature

The Annoyed Man

No blood, but a dead animal picture: http://whamproductions.com/images/misce ... forweb.jpg.

This hog was shot with the pictured carbine which was built by my son for his employer. Two 55 grain FMJs behind the right ear, which produced no visible blood or obvious wounds on the entry (near) side. From what I'm told, the off-side was a mess.

All of that said, when I went hog-hunting, I took along an M1A. I'm too lazy to fire twice at the same hog. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Ace5299

Post by Ace5299 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
No blood, but a dead animal picture: http://whamproductions.com/images/misce ... forweb.jpg.

This hog was shot with the pictured carbine which was built by my son for his employer. Two 55 grain FMJs behind the right ear, which produced no visible blood or obvious wounds on the entry (near) side. From what I'm told, the off-side was a mess.

All of that said, when I went hog-hunting, I took along an M1A. I'm too lazy to fire twice at the same hog. :mrgreen:

Nice gun!

The Annoyed Man

Ace5299 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Nice gun!
Indeed. He does very nice work, and he and I have built several together. He just got himself a new job he starts in two weeks with a manufacturer who is going to be paying him to take Spec Ops guys out and demonstrate their products, blow stuff up, travel, etc. It's the dream job for him. Unfortunately, I'm not free to name the company yet.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Hunting Photos”