Pig caught in a snare

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pig caught in a snare

Post by anygunanywhere »

RJGold wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Why do all of you insist on killing these defenseless creatures when you can go to the meat market and buy your meat like other people?

:biggrinjester:

Anygunanywhere
Hmmm...

Never really thought about that. Makes sense though since those pork ribs in the plastic at the grocery store were created like that all wrapped up in plastic and never had to go rooting around. I reckon the whole fryer in the plastic bag gave birth to the leg and thigh quarters in the plastic bags in the next bin as well.

I guess I'll stop shooting critters and just start shooting beer cans and bottles of water...

"rlol"
I tried to paraphrase a post I read where some libtard animal rights moron made such a statement.

Close but no cigar.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RJGold
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RJGold »

anygunanywhere wrote:
RJGold wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Why do all of you insist on killing these defenseless creatures when you can go to the meat market and buy your meat like other people?

:biggrinjester:

Anygunanywhere
Hmmm...

Never really thought about that. Makes sense though since those pork ribs in the plastic at the grocery store were created like that all wrapped up in plastic and never had to go rooting around. I reckon the whole fryer in the plastic bag gave birth to the leg and thigh quarters in the plastic bags in the next bin as well.

I guess I'll stop shooting critters and just start shooting beer cans and bottles of water...

"rlol"
I tried to paraphrase a post I read where some libtard animal rights moron made such a statement.

Close but no cigar.

Anygunanywhere

Yup. I've actually had someone look me in the eye and make that same statement referencing duck hunting (i.e. "..how can you kill those poor ducks? I get my meat from the grocery store where nothing has to be killed...").

I started to try and explain the flaw in her logic but then realized it would waste a ton of my energy and I wouldn't change her mind anyway so I just gave up and moved on.

:banghead:
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

markwilson
Posts in topic: 1

Post by markwilson »

anygunanywhere wrote:Why do all of you insist on killing these defenseless creatures when you can go to the meat market and buy your meat like other people?<br sourceindex="903"><br sourceindex="904"> :biggrinjester: <br sourceindex="905"><br sourceindex="906">Anygunanywhere
Precisely you are correct. If they can afford to buy the meat, then they should go to the market or groceries wherein there's meat for sale. :thewave

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

Nobody's said it yet, so I will.
I'm proud of you Johncanfield for taking the time to harvest some meat from a destructive varmit. Those piglets can be cooked whole, after field dressing and dipping in boiling water to remove the hair. And, of course... venison sausage tastes great with the addition of feral hog (50-50).
Just sayin.
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

nyj wrote:That's cute. Using a snare to put the animal in distress, then dispatching him with a less than sufficient load for the job.
As someone who has been guiding hog hunts for a very long time, you simply do not know what you are talking about.

Chuckybrown
Chuckybrown

kde71450

Post by kde71450 »

I don't hunt... Doesn't mean i don't get it. I have had friends and co workers who would hunt Ferrel Pigs and Coyotes.. sometimes for bounty. I get the fact that in many Texas counties these animals can overrun the eco system.. they are not the CUTSEY PORKY PIG, or WILLIE COYOTE.

*P.E.T.A. (*People Eating Tasty Animals)

nyj
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nyj »

chuckybrown wrote:
nyj wrote:That's cute. Using a snare to put the animal in distress, then dispatching him with a less than sufficient load for the job.
As someone who has been guiding hog hunts for a very long time, you simply do not know what you are talking about.

Chuckybrown
What isn't to get about using an underpowered load?

A .22 will kill deer, but doesn't mean you should use it. If you're not going to use the right load for the job, at least get a good kill shot or use something adequate.

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

nyj wrote:
chuckybrown wrote:

Chuckybrown
What isn't to get about using an underpowered load?

A .22 will kill deer, but doesn't mean you should use it. If you're not going to use the right load for the job, at least get a good kill shot or use something adequate.
I think the method used was appropriate, John used a good round to dispatch the hog. A 9mm is not an insignificant round.
Sometimes a second round is used as added insurance; regardless if it was necessary.

Your '.22 to kill a deer" comparison is not a valid comparison, IMHO.
Different dynamics (range, animal, etc) altogether

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

nyj wrote:
RJGold wrote:I've killed a bunch of pigs with 22 mag shots behind the ears...

They didn't suffer, I assure you...
Nothing wrong with that. A "couple of shots" isn't my idea of humane dispatching.
For all you know, it was a quick double tap, and the 2nd shot was unnecessary insurance. The OP doesn't state that he shot the pig.....stood around there picking his nose for a while and then shot it again. He says "A couple of hollow points from my M&P 9mm compact handgun sent him to a happier place." No other details than that. I think everyone here agrees that it is best to dispatch an animal humanely if at all possible, but nothing the OP said indicates that he did not do so. He only says he used to rounds. For all we know, they may have been fired .5 seconds apart. How many deer have been hit more than once with a .300 Win Mag, when nobody will argue that this is insufficient cartridge for a deer? It happens....not often....but it does happen. Some animals just die harder than others, and even if there had been some elapsed time between the shots, it might not be anything other than this kind of a deal.

I've seen videos on YouTube of hogs being dispatched with air rifles....meaning a .177 caliber 25 grain pellet traveling at about the same speed as a 125 grain 9mm bullet. Those hogs dropped like a sack of nickels. Were they not humanely dispatched?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

nyj
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nyj »

And I've seen hogs take more than 2 shots of .223 and keep truckin'. Like I said, if you don't have a good shot, don't take it. Simple hunting ethics.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

nyj wrote:And I've seen hogs take more than 2 shots of .223 and keep truckin'. Like I said, if you don't have a good shot, don't take it. Simple hunting ethics.
Of course you're correct. Many of us here are hunters too, myself included, and would agree with the above. That said, you might have missed his response a couple of posts down from your original snipe at him: viewtopic.php?p=802213#p802213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johncanfield wrote:Huh? :confused5 First off, I didn't place the snare, but I'm very glad it caught a wild hog. You apparently don't understand the problem with the hogs. The pistol rounds were very effective in dispatching the hog, I love wildlife and do not want to see any of God's creatures suffer.
....none of which suggests that he did anything unethical.......unless that's what we want it to say because we've backed ourselves into a corner and don't want to admit that we might have jumped the gun, so to speak. :mrgreen:

We also know from his posting record that johncanfield is an experienced hunter who, more recently, has been hunting hogs with an AR10.....and yet even a .308 can occasionally fail to put a hog down with one shot, even a properly placed shot. There are no absolute guarantees in hunting, even if you do everything right. He's also trying to keep hogs off his land, from which he earns his livelihood, so for him it's not just a sport hunting issue, it's a pest abatement issue which is important to the feeding of his family.

I have a friend who has a large pecan orchard down near Elgin....about 92 acres if I recall correctly. He traps hogs on his property because shooting them with a rifle poses certain dangers due to other people's homes being near the edges of his property. You can't just shoot in any direction, and yet he has a real need to get rid of the hogs because they tear up his infrastructure. So he traps them, and then caps them with a .38 caliber revolver—"less gun" than a 9mm—and it works like a champ.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

nyj wrote:What isn't to get about using an underpowered load?

There is a difference between hunting an animal at hunting distance versus walking up to a restrained animal and dispatching it with a head shot.

There have been an awful lot of pigs and cattle dispatched with a .22 behind the ear prior to slaughter. Quite effectively, I might add.

This guy used a 9mm on a restrained animal to effectively dispatch it. Nothing to see here. Move along.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

steve817

Post by steve817 »

RJGold wrote: I guess I'll stop shooting critters and just start shooting beer cans and bottles of water...

"rlol"

He hates these cans! Get away from the cans!
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

Book a hunt with me, & I will teach you all you need to know about hogs: when to shoot 'em, how to shoot 'em, where to shoot 'em, how to skin 'em, and how to cook 'em.
Chuckybrown

chuck j
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chuck j »

I worked as killer at a packing house in the 70's , have killed thousands of cattle and hogs , a 9 mm is more than adequate .

Return to “Hunting Photos”