Planning has started for this year's event

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderator: carlson1

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Planning has started for this year's event

Post by MoJo »

Hopefully, Mrs. MoJo and I will be able to attend this year. Put two possible maybes on the list.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Count me in. I had a great time last year. I think that it is good idea that you have set a firm date so that people can mark it in their calendars.

I thought the BBQ lunch was terrific. The only negative I heard about the meal was that it didn't have enough variety for the herbivores. So you might consider dual caterers? Regardless of the lunch accomodations, I will be there.

Maybe we can start a thread in the Prayer Requests for good weather! :lol:

Edited: For Friday night, JBirds suggestion of Kelly's Restaurant sounds like a good idea.
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

I think I will be there, hopefully the better half will be too :biggrinjester:. I'm a rookie here, but I've been reading posts for awhile, and I'd definitely be interested in any learning / social opportunities.

EDIT: I will definitely be there. I checked my work schedule and it's good. I will be there for social night on friday. Still have to see about the wife! :lol:
Last edited by CodeJockey on Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Snake Doctor wrote:I don't know about what all goes on at this event; Could someone tell us rookies more about it? Are there any photos on this site from years past? Do any young people attend? Two of my three closest friends have Texas CHLs and would tag along if this looks like a good event for us. Thanks for any thoughts.
We have seminars in the classroom and shooting clinics in the pistol bays. Last year's seminars were 1) Awareness/Ladies Issues; 2) Combat Mindset; 3) CHL Fashion Show; and 4) Texas Self-Defense/Deadly Force Laws (Friday evening). This year, these may change, except Steve & Donna will still be doing the Awareness/Ladies Issues seminar. Seminars were 1 hr. long.

The shooting clinics were: 1) Draw, Move & Shoot; 2) Moving Shooter & Moving Targets; 3) IDPA demonstration; 4) Close Quarters Battle; 5) Basic Skills; 6) Basic Drawing; and 7) Failure Drills. Shooting clinics were 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. long. New seminars will also be offered this year, but the basic ones will remain. We have far too many people new to shooting to abandon those.

In addition to seminars and clinics, we also have open shooting in the bays and the Texas Stars are always popular.

As others have said, it a truly unique learning opportunity made possible because of the dedication of talented instructors and speakers that donate their time to this event. It's also great to be able to meet many people we know only from the TexasCHLforum.

Kyle(Houston)

Post by Kyle(Houston) »

I will try my best to be there. I missed last year and regret it.
"Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive."

ElGato
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ElGato »

Two for sure and YES on the social.

No opinion on the food, with that much shooting to be done it's hard to think about eating till it's over.

LT, let's plan on having a sit down dinner after, with all that want to go along, like last time.
I hope you will be running on the new knee and maybe I'll finely be over these shingle's.

G.C. Montgomery, I'll try your CQC again if you'll just leave out the Thunderstorm.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

tomc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tomc »

A definite YES from here too. Hopefully, the Dallas contingent can be much better represented this year. It was real sad that HV, RP, ll+Marty and others couldn't make it last year. On site lunch works great for me since it minimizes time away from the event. As Jim said, it would well be worth it for 10 times the price, so don't worry about the money you have to charge (don't get too carried away, though).

Tom
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Skiprr »

One definite "yes," and possibly +1.

I'll volunteer again anywhere you need me.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

DMG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DMG »

Regarding food, just announce for participants to bring their own picnic lunch, which they can then eat on premises at their desire and not miss anything they do not want to miss. DMG.

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

I'm in for sure (at least as sure as I can be this far out) and am willing to volunteer to help out a least part of the day with SO or any other duties. I may bring others will be able to tell better closer to event. Have no problem with either lunch included like last year or BYOF.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Bad4zzCh1ck

Post by Bad4zzCh1ck »

Can someone help a newbie? What is this function? And what or where is the PSC?
"...to disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." - George Mason

"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand." - Susan B. Anthony, July 1871.
:fire

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 10

Post by seamusTX »

It's an all-day event at PSC Range in Friendswood. There are 20 or so classes on CHL-related topics, both classroom and shooting. There are some shooting opportunities you don't get often, like the Texas Star and other moving targets.

Read this entire thread from the beginning. Others have given more details.

- Jim

tomc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tomc »

DMG wrote:Regarding food, just announce for participants to bring their own picnic lunch, which they can then eat on premises at their desire and not miss anything they do not want to miss. DMG.
Thats good for the local folks, but not for those who come from afar, and who maybe carpool, or are staying in motels.
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

longtooth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longtooth »

ElGato wrote:
LT, let's plan on having a sit down dinner after, with all that want to go along, like last time.
I hope you will be running on the new knee and maybe I'll finely be over these shingles

Sounds great to me. I really enjoyed that part too. My knee will be good by then & I sure hope you are over the shingles.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks folks. We are going to have some great new seminars and clinics this year. We also have a few other new things we're tossing around as well.

Since it appears that having food available at PSC is a bigger issue than we thought, we'll keep working on it. If we have enough people registered at least 6 to 8 weeks before Sept. 27, then perhaps we can get the Bun Stuffers back. I'd like to draft Stevie-d to do the grilling for us, but we don't have a pit large enough for the number of people that will be coming. :bigear: Is that a representative of the ladies contingent I hear offering to cook? :bigear:

This event gets better every year and that's because of the dedication of a lot of talented instructors, speakers and support personnel. All of them donate their time and labor to make this a fun and educational event. The single biggest factor that keeps these volunteers coming back every year is the fact that people attending truly appreciate the effort that goes into the annual TexasCHLforum Day at PSC.

If you have any ideas or requests you'd like to give us, please don't hesitate. We want all of the input we can get.

Chas.

Return to “TexasCHLforum Day at PSC 2008”