Format Change for 2008

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Format Change for 2008

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

http://www.TexasShooting.com

Format change for the 2008 TexasCHLforum Day at PSC

In an ongoing effort to make it possible for people to attend more seminars and clinics, we are changing the format used in prior years. While the Preliminary Event List published on June 9th has been superseded, almost all of the topics covered in the shooting clinics listed will still be offered, albeit in a different format. The goal is to break down some of the clinics into discrete aspects of shooting and offer those subjects as mini-clinics. A mini-clinic will be between 30 and 45 minutes long and will be limited to six students. Every mini-clinic will be offered at three different times during the day to make it possible for people to schedule their day so as to cover almost all of the subjects offered this year.

The following subjects will still be offered as a full 2 hr. shooting clinics:

1. Basic Skills (proper grip, trigger control, sight alignment/picture) [Instructor TBA]
2. Defensive Shotgun[Instructor Gregg Garrett]
3. IDPA Basics [Instructor Steve Vandermolen]
4. Ladies-Only Shooting Clinic [Donna Vandermolen]

The following subjects will be offered in mini-clinics:

1. Proper: grip, trigger control, sight alignment/picture
2. Drawing and engaging
3. Purses & fanny packs: Proper drawing techniques
4. Reloading (automatic and revolver)
5. Malfunction drills
6. Close Quarter Battle (Retention shooting and "getting out of the hole!")
7. Engaging multiple targets
8. Shooting on the move
9. Proper use of cover/concealment (Barricades and walls)
10. Moving targets

Seminars:

1. Awareness [Speaker Steve Vandermolen]
2. Ladies Issues [Speaker Donna Vandermolen]
3. Christians & Self-Defense [Speaker Marc Gentine]
4. TABC Laws & Procedures [Speaker Stephen Rothstein]
5. CHL Fashion Show (Demonstrations of concealed-carry methods and equipment)
6. Training Opportunities (discussion of courses, schools & instructors available locally and nationwide) [Speaker Charles Cotton]

All Day Events

1. Texas Stars (two)
2. Find the Gun for You [formerly Battlefield Pick-up] (Various handguns available for shooting)
3. Plate Rack
4. Moving targets (swingers and drop turners)

Lunch

It seems like the vast majority of folks want to have lunch available at the range, so the Bun-Stuffers barbeque team will be providing lunch. The registration fee will cover lunch. Everyone seemed to like the Bun-Stuffers two years ago and with their return, we don't have to worry about setting up and tearing down for lunch.

I will post the exact schedule as well as the Registration Forum in the next week or so.

Chas.

Commander Cody

Re: Format Change for 2008

Post by Commander Cody »

I think I have overlooked something. Dates & times. Please help me.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomerang »

Commander Cody wrote:I think I have overlooked something. Dates & times. Please help me.
It's on 9/27 but I think they're still working on times.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Thank you. The date is what I needed. I can wait patiently for times.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

So many clinics and classes and so little time.

I have been looking forward to this since last year. More fun than Christmas !!
:woohoo :woohoo
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Indeed, I'm also looking forward to this year's Forum Day. Thanks to Charles and everyone making this event possible.

Hopefully it won't rain this year. I plan to improve my time on the Texas Star considerably this year. :fire With no rain, perhaps my shooting glasses won't fog up as soon as I start shooting. ;-) That, and I will make sure my rear sights aren't falling off this year. :grumble

I'm really pumped :smilelol5: about participating in the shotgun clinic with my new 870. :anamatedbanana

It looks like it's shaping up to be an even better event than last year. :thumbs2:

I look forward to seeing everyone again.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

I'd hate to ask a stupid question, but maybe someone has a suggestion. I would like to take my wife with me. She doesn't mind shooting every once in a while, but she's not big on it so she doesn't have a handgun on her own. I've taken her to the range several times, and she shoots some, but complains about the recoil on my P239 .40. I'm winning her over to be more interested in her self-defense as she works by the Galleria and drives and shops alot in Houston, and commutes 110 miles daily. She's somewhat open to the idea of getting her own CHL, so this day would be somewhat of an icebreaking day for her, I'm hoping. To that end, I'd like for her to go to take advantage of the Basics clinic, and the Ladie's only, and the find-the-gun-for-you section, and hopefully others. Besides, at $20, what a deal!

I guess my silly scenario is, she needs to have her own gun for all the clinics, but I'm hesitant to buy one before being able to do the find-the-gun-for-you section. Catch-21 huh? My best guess is to buy a G26 (she like the grip for her at Academy) and sell it for hopefully most of what I paid if she likes something better at the find-the-gun-for-you section.

Basically I'm thinking out loud here........any ideas?

(And yes, I only have one handgun......I've got too many hobbies for my income :cheers2: )
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

MBGuy wrote:I'd hate to ask a stupid question, but maybe someone has a suggestion. I would like to take my wife with me. She doesn't mind shooting every once in a while, but she's not big on it so she doesn't have a handgun on her own. I've taken her to the range several times, and she shoots some, but complains about the recoil on my P239 .40. I'm winning her over to be more interested in her self-defense as she works by the Galleria and drives and shops alot in Houston, and commutes 110 miles daily. She's somewhat open to the idea of getting her own CHL, so this day would be somewhat of an icebreaking day for her, I'm hoping. To that end, I'd like for her to go to take advantage of the Basics clinic, and the Ladie's only, and the find-the-gun-for-you section, and hopefully others. Besides, at $20, what a deal!

I guess my silly scenario is, she needs to have her own gun for all the clinics, but I'm hesitant to buy one before being able to do the find-the-gun-for-you section. Catch-21 huh? My best guess is to buy a G26 (she like the grip for her at Academy) and sell it for hopefully most of what I paid if she likes something better at the find-the-gun-for-you section.

Basically I'm thinking out loud here........any ideas?

(And yes, I only have one handgun......I've got too many hobbies for my income :cheers2: )
My wife strongly suspects I have at least one of every gun ever made, but sadly she's mistaken. However, I'm sure I have something your wife would like to shoot for the day. If she likes Glocks, she can shoot Martha's G19, G23 or G27. (I don't recommend the G27.)

Chas.

Return to “TexasCHLforum Day at PSC 2008”