ACTIVE SHOOTER SCHOOL SAFETY CERTIFICATION COURSE

This section is ONLY for instructors posting classes in compliance with Rule 14. Please do not post questions or reviews, or announcements of classes that you are not teaching.

Moderator: carlson1

G40yes
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ACTIVE SHOOTER SCHOOL SAFETY CERTIFICATION COURSE

Post by G40yes »

:iagree: This class was awesome, and Mr. Rehn is a very effective trainer. I encourage everyone who becomes interested to attend when you can and help make our gathering spots (including schools and churches) into better protected places.
.. tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

oljames3
Posts in topic: 6

Post by oljames3 »

AndyC wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:43 pm Colleague wasn't certain enough of her skills under pressure, so I'm taking a friend and meeting another friend at the course. Super stoked.
Yes, the standards are high.
… pass the Texas License to Carry shooting test with a score of 90% or higher (225 points) and complete a 120 round Shooting Under Duress shooting exercise developed by DPS for this course.
And
pass two written examinations with a score of 90 percent (compared to the passing score of 70 percent on one written examination to get your LTC)
You will also
fire the shooting test from the NRA Defensive Pistol class, and the annual qualification course of fire used by a major Texas city's police department.
I fired 318 rounds when I took the course last December.

Ask questions, learn things, have fun!
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Karl has resolved the issues that previously caused error messages. I've tested the site and links myself and it is safe to go back into the water.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

AndyC wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:49 am I'm personally going to consider myself high shooter for this course ;-)
:cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

AndyC wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:49 am A very sobering course. This isn't just "Watch out for innocents then shoot the bad guy" - there are a whole bunch of issues to be aware of. I won't go into any details here as folks should attend the class for themselves, but it was pretty eye-opening.

We had an introduction and briefing in the morning, then wrote a pre-test exam. We then went straight to the range to shoot the LTC test (everyone passed), then we did the Texas DPS-required drills (interestingly not scored). Afternoon was mostly classwork then we went and shot 10 shots on paper at 50 yards, then hitting a steel plate starting at 30 yards and ended up at 75 yards - very few people needed a 2nd shot to hit it.

The next day we were shown the 4 stages of a proper draw, proper reload-technique and as well as techniques for drawing from concealment - all critical in order to pass the NRA Defensive Pistol test which is all from concealment and pretty fast; there's no time to fumble and was definitely the hardest test to shoot clean - it takes just one miss to fail, so about half the class had to re-shoot it. Next we shot a major metropolitan Texas PD's qualification shoot (I was pretty chuffed when Karl pointed at my target and said "This is what a perfect score looks like!") then back to the classroom for more learning and drills. The shoot-house was next, learning to sweep and clear properly (in order to escape a building safely, not to engage the shooter) then back for some more classwork, tourniquet familiarization and then the final written test.

Knowing the multiple facets to be aware of will definitely help me at work - and at a personal level, Karl improved my draw immensely and my grip. I shot every test clean; no misses so no do-overs needed - but it took a lot of work to do that. I believe only 2 of us shot the PD qualification clean - but he missed a shot at the steel which I didn't, so I'm personally going to consider myself high shooter for this course ;-)

Yep, highly-recommended - even if the DPS certificate looks like it was done by a dot-matrix printer.
I'm glad you enjoyed the course. Congrats on your excellent performance. I enjoyed meeting you and Rockie last Friday and hope to see y'all again.

I'll be shooting in the USPSA at KR Training this Wednesday. This will be my third match. I'm finding that the skills I'm learning/improving through competition shooting are the skills I need for situations such as those covered in the School Safety/ Active Shooter course. USPSA may not work for everyone, but it works for me. For $20 I get to practice drawing from my holster, accurate shooting, discriminating between shoot and no-shoot targets, reloading and shooting while moving, all under time pressure. Yes, it is not totally realistic, but it helps me to evaluate and improve my skill.

This Saturday, I'll take my three sons to KR Training for the Personal Tactics Skills class. https://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/C ... Skills.htm The class has no shooting, just non-firing guns in scenarios. I'll install BarrelBloks in our pistols so we can train safely. We expect "to learn what tactics actually work, to experience what a real situation will be like, and to rehearse the actions you should take to win both the physical fight and the legal aftermath." This complements the School Safety / Active Shooter course well and finalizes my training to qualify for Karl's Defensive Pistol Skills Program. https://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/d ... ogram.html

Return to “Basic & Advanced Training (Non-LTC)”