Non - LTC Training Initially

This section is ONLY for instructors posting classes in compliance with Rule 14. Please do not post questions or reviews, or announcements of classes that you are not teaching.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stash
Posts in topic: 1

Non - LTC Training Initially

Post by stash »

I have a niece who wants to buy a firearm. I suggested to her father (my brother) that she should get some instruction relating to the safe handling of a firearm first. After this training she would like to get a LTC. I do not think she has any experience in firearms nor does she own one. She currently works for the state and lives in the Flower Mound area. At one time there was a lady instructor on this site who I think lived in N. Texas but i Have not seen her posts in a long time. Any suggestions re this type of thing would be appreciated.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Tex1961

Re: Non - LTC Training Initially

Post by Tex1961 »

stash wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am I have a niece who wants to buy a firearm. I suggested to her father (my brother) that she should get some instruction relating to the safe handling of a firearm first. After this training she would like to get a LTC. I do not think she has any experience in firearms nor does she own one. She currently works for the state and lives in the Flower Mound area. At one time there was a lady instructor on this site who I think lived in N. Texas but i Have not seen her posts in a long time. Any suggestions re this type of thing would be appreciated.
PM Sent

glock75

Post by glock75 »

Check out Heather Yvonne, an instructor in Beaumont who teaches basic pistol, and ladies how to conceal carry classes. She also offers a 2-hour handgun fit class where women can find the best handgun for them. https://rwdefense.com.
NRA, DPS and Rangemaster Certified Firearms Instructor
RWDefense.com

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Sounds like she needs NRA Basic Pistol.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

glock75 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 am Check out Heather Yvonne, an instructor in Beaumont who teaches basic pistol, and ladies how to conceal carry classes. She also offers a 2-hour handgun fit class where women can find the best handgun for them. https://rwdefense.com.
Finding a handgun that properly 'fits' the hand is exactly what I'd recommend as the first step for new handgun owners. Lots of gun stores will not allow dry firing, & will keep trigger locks on the guns until final purchase. This precludes the ability to ensure the gun actually fits the hand well, so that the firer doesn't inadvertently shift the grip position in order to reach the trigger (to shoot well, we must be consistent. An inconsistent grip results in bad fundamentals).

Finding a gun store that allows dry firing would be my first recommendation, but today's challenge is even finding a store with enough in-stock handguns to run thru to find good fit. An alternative would be a range with a selection of rental guns to try.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Mike S wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 am
glock75 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 am Check out Heather Yvonne, an instructor in Beaumont who teaches basic pistol, and ladies how to conceal carry classes. She also offers a 2-hour handgun fit class where women can find the best handgun for them. https://rwdefense.com.
Finding a handgun that properly 'fits' the hand is exactly what I'd recommend as the first step for new handgun owners. Lots of gun stores will not allow dry firing, & will keep trigger locks on the guns until final purchase. This precludes the ability to ensure the gun actually fits the hand well, so that the firer doesn't inadvertently shift the grip position in order to reach the trigger (to shoot well, we must be consistent. An inconsistent grip results in bad fundamentals).

Finding a gun store that allows dry firing would be my first recommendation, but today's challenge is even finding a store with enough in-stock handguns to run thru to find good fit. An alternative would be a range with a selection of rental guns to try.

Defender Outdoors, in Fort Worth, will rent guns. The cost, is $20 per hour. You can rent 2 at a time, and try as many different guns as you want in that hour. That's what I did for Jusme Jr, when he was getting his first handgun. He tried about 12 different guns, and I was just the "runner" taking guns back and bringing new ones. You do have to buy their ammo, and pay for a lane, but I think it was a total of about $50 for everything. Well worth the investment, to be able to pick a gun that fits the shooter, rather, than buy one on someone else's recommendation, and be unhappy with it. JMHO

https://defenderoutdoors.com/shooting-center/
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Basic & Advanced Training (Non-LTC)”