Paul Howe: Scrambler Drill

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Paul Howe: Scrambler Drill

Post by Paladin »

This is a classic 500 yard run-and-gun pistol/rifle drill:

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Paul Howe: Scrambler Drill

Post by The Annoyed Man »

There were several things that stood out to me…..

One was skill level: I was less interested in the level of marksmanship (which was pretty good), than I was with the physical/physiological conditions under which the marksmanship was achieved. Both shooters are quite competent, but both experienced rifle misses at relatively easy ranges which were largely attributable to physiological fatigue, and pistol misses at long ranges which were attributable to both fatigue and the distances to the target. It’s a reminder that gunfights may not always be at a distance that is convenient to our individual skill levels.

Hydration: I noticed that, in addition to the fatigue caused by running from firing position to firing position, both shooters were perspiring pretty heavily—right through their pants and shirts by halfway through the drill. I’m assuming that this was shot in Nacogdoches, so nice and hot and steamy at this time of year. Even though both shooters are pretty fit, staying well hydrated could very easily mean the difference between winning and losing the fight.

Equipment: I note that the rifles they used were about as basic as you can get……simple iron-sighted carbines. However, they both used a forward rail extension to get the front sight as far forward as possible, increasing the sight radius, and essentially giving the carbines a "Dissipator" configuration. The only gee-whiz add-on they had both mounted was a (small) tactical flashlight. That’s it. No bells and whistles, other than the suggestion that an onboard light is part of the minimum basic package. Officer Gregg -OG Danger Show has a great YouTube video titled "A Simple Rifle for Troubled Times" that explains the concept fairly well.

It also reminds me of the economy version of the WWSD Civil Defense Rifle described by Ian from the Forgotten Weapons channel:

I’m as queer for gear as the next guy, and the good Lord knows I’ve spent lots of money for very nice things. But after having done all that, I’ve come back to preferring a very basic carbine. I use optics these days because reasons, but ALL of my ARs have a serviceable set of good iron sights installed—whatever my choice of optic—and most have a decent light mounted.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Paul Howe: Scrambler Drill

Post by Paladin »

Paul likes to show that you can get business done with a basic setup and that you don't need "Gucci gear".

I'm largely a rifle optics shooter these days due to eyesight... but I wouldn't trade my EOTechs even if I weren't farsighted.

Its a whole lot harder to hit a target after running several hundred yards in full kit... and even more so in Texas.

In the Guard we once did a Rifle version of the General George Patton match. In the mid-day June heat we sprinted 200 yards with LBE, holstered pistol, and rifles to the firing line and dumped a whole lot of rounds (17 at each position) into multiple targets. What would have been easy at rest, in the shade, became a total killer. I totally sweat through my entire uniform and the clothing was dripping like I just got out of the pool. The whole line shooting as fast as they could was amazing to experience. In a word it was awesome!

Lights and free-floated barrels are worth having. As are IR lasers to go with NVG. Other than that I like to keep my rifles pretty clean.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Books & Videos”