Paul Revere's Ride

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Paul Revere's Ride

Post by Paladin »

Paul Revere's Ride

You may think you know what happened in April 1775, but if you haven't read this book you probably know only some of the story.

There's a lot in this book, including some background of the events and a realistic look at our ancestors and their worldview. These people risked everything, fought and died for freedom and independence... not simply for themselves... but for to uphold what their ancestors had given them and for their unborn descendants.

There are a lot of entertaining stories and once the battle gets going you can't put the book down.

This book should be mandatory reading for both high school students and foreign college students.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Paul Revere's Ride

Post by philip964 »

I visited Boston and had an American history buff with me. He took me to Lexington Concord bridge. But most interesting is the trail the Redcoats took to get there and back. It is all very well preserved.

The rebel colonists had a turkey shoot. Redcoats marched down a trail with woods on either side, lots of large boulders for cover too. Trail followed a small creek that was at bottom of ravine that went 5 miles. So colonists had high ground with a crossfire that they couldn’t shoot each other even if they tried.

It must have been horrible for the Redcoats amazing any of them made it back to Boson.

“The British, realizing their vulnerability, decided to return to Boston. Their retreat turned into a rout, however, as thousands of militiamen attacked the British column from all sides. Shooting from behind trees, rocks, and buildings, the Patriots inflicted heavy casualties on the retreating Redcoats.”

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The Redcoats were very lucky to make it back alive. After the bridge was torn down in Cambridge, Percy was smart enough to make a rapid turn to Charlestown and safety. General Gage didn't dare send anymore reinforcements as he was afraid of a revolt in the city of Boston itself.

I love some of the quotes in the book... before the action the professional soldiers of 'the King' "laughed contemptuously at the awkward drill, hooting at the clumsy marching..."

Major John Pitcairn of the Royal Marines bragged "If I draw my sword but half out of my scabbard, the whole banditti of Massachusetts will run away."

Those same men were at times running for their lives on April 19th... Major Pitcairn being unhorsed and injured... then shot in the face a few months later at Bunker Hill... Pitcairn was a Marine and one of the Redcoats better commanders... and the war didn't end quite like he thought...
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

"The British are coming, the British are coming!" is supposedly what Paul Revere said to alert others.

But at that time, "Americans" were still "British".

IIRC, he actually warned "The regulars are coming, the regulars are coming", meaning uniformed British Army personnel.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:52 pm "The British are coming, the British are coming!" is supposedly what Paul Revere said to alert others.

But at that time, "Americans" were still "British".

IIRC, he actually warned "The regulars are coming, the regulars are coming", meaning uniformed British Army personnel.

SIA
True!

And the colonists actually helped and incentivized the regulars to desert

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

Johnny Tremain by Ester Forbes is a novel for teens. Walt Disney made a mini series about the book a long time ago. It is about this time in Boston. Johnny works as an apprentice for Paul Revere.

I had a chance to read it, as an adult. It takes like two hours to read.

You will never take your rifle for granted ever again after you read it. If you don't have a rifle you will go and get one.

You would also ask yourself would I be a rebel or would I be a loyalist? After watching the Walt Disney mini series, I'm sure I said Rebel.

It was a tough question after reading the book.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

We have been to Revere’s house and the North Church. Paul Revere signaled from the church. The church is still active and the members give the talks and tours. The tower has two staircases leading up to the belfry. They are both cordoned off so no entry to the belfry. I offered the speaker $300.00 cash for their collection to allow me access to the belfry to photograph. They refused.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Books & Videos”