Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse: A Novel

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse: A Novel

Post by The Annoyed Man »

idrathernot wrote:Obviously I haven't read "One Second After" but as I understand from the synopsis the plot is that an EMP wave caused by a single high altitude ICBM detonation takes out all of the electrical infrastructure in America.
The novel actually postulates 3 or 4 such high altitude detonations, launched over the U.S. from the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf coasts, effectively blanketing the entire nation in an EMP effect. The launch platforms are old container ships. If I don't recall the national origin of the perpetrators except that they represented a rogue political force in the world which exists today — like the North Koreans, or the Iranians, etc.
marksiwel wrote:I love that book, the thing with the dogs had me near tears.
Yes, it was tough to read.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

idrathernot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by idrathernot »

The Annoyed Man wrote: The novel actually postulates 3 or 4 such high altitude detonations, launched over the U.S. from the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf coasts, effectively blanketing the entire nation in an EMP effect. The launch platforms are old container ships. If I don't recall the national origin of the perpetrators except that they represented a rogue political force in the world which exists today — like the North Koreans, or the Iranians, etc.
Ah I see. So it's based off of the Congressional Report.

http://www.mountainx.com/files/EMP_from ... y_2008.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mountainx.com/files/EMP_Commish_2004.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

marksiwel wrote:

I love that book, the thing with the dogs had me near tears.
I haven't read the book, what did the dogs do?

marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by marksiwel »

Oldgringo wrote:
marksiwel wrote:

PM sent
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

marksiwel wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
marksiwel wrote:

PM sent
Not sure I really want to know...But it probably won't be that much of a surprise...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

A-R

Post by A-R »

Have any of y'all read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy? It was made into a movie that came out around Thanksgiving last year to good reviews, but didn't really make it in wide release. Movie was good. Book is one of the best I've ever read.

I've never really been "into" post-apocalypse stories. But "The Road" just flat out grabbed me by the throat and I couldn't put it down. Read it in 48 hours the first time; 72 the second time.

It's much more personal and emotional than what y'all are describing in these other books. What exactly caused "the end" is never revealed. "The Road" deals purely with the crushing human toll of the aftermath - some 7 or so years later as the last humans walk the Earth in quiet desperation,literally starving with many resorting to cannibalism. The story is told through the eyes of a father - who is never named - and his son, who was born after the cataclysmic event and has never known civilization. The themes of the book are timeless and possitively haunting. It is a profound read that I highly recommend to everyone, especially if you like the post-apocalypse genre to begin with.

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Yep, the Road was pretty good, alittle "Blah" in some places, but over all worth the read.
You would be surprised about how many End of the World Books/games/movies there are
Books
"World War Z " is your basic go to "End of the World with Zombies book"
"The Turner Diaries "are crazy Hill Billy Trash about a giant Race war in America, totally too racist crazy for me or anyone, pure hate speech neo nazi propaganda
"The Earth Abides" super Flu/virus kills everyone, man resorts to acting like Cavemen in a couple of generations.
"The Stand" Super Flu kills almost everyone, supposed to be like another book of the Bible (in a way) Basically God and the Devil fight it out on earth with the survivors.
"Alas Babylon" Small Scale Nuclear war against America and the USSR in the 50's, great book, try to read it once a year.

As for games
Fall Out 3. China and America go to war. Mutants and and Monsters survive in the Nations Capital.

Movies
The Road
The Day After
Dr. Strangelove
A Boy and His Dog
Crimson Tide was supposed to end with them opening the hatch and seeing a Nuked New York
The Road Warrior
On the Beach

nmsu

Post by nmsu »

I'll have to check it out

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

nmsu wrote:I'll have to check it out
The book itself is more of a "How To" than a good read.
If you dont have much interest in prepping its kind of a slow read. Or if you dont care about how to dig a latrine just skip around alot.

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

marksiwel wrote:
If you dont have much interest in prepping its kind of a slow read. Or if you dont care about how to dig a latrine just skip around alot.
It also has a lot of outdated or incorrect information. For example, the narration on how to get a fake ID will get you sent straight to jail.

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

jordanmills wrote:
marksiwel wrote:
It also has a lot of outdated or incorrect information. For example, the narration on how to get a fake ID will get you sent straight to jail.
Now why would you need a fake ID? ;-)

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

I ordered the Patriots book after reading One Second After. This is a good place to get info on some good reading material and DVD's. :tiphat:
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

Keith

Post by Keith »

Just finished that book. I enjoyed it. Gave it to a friend to read.
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

Wondering if the author is geeting some type of compensation for all the ad placement in his book Patriots. He even names the maker of the chain saw they used and where they buy all their materials etc. Kinda like when you watch a movie that was subsidized by Wal-Mart (Secrets of the Mountain for example) everything you see in the kitchen is labeled Great Value.
To me this book is kinda slow reading and the best part I have read so far was about the 2 guys running from the law. I am only about l/4 thru this book. I have no problem laying it down and doing something else for a while before I pick it up again. "One Second After" was a much easier read.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

seniorshooteress wrote:Wondering if the author is geeting some type of compensation for all the ad placement in his book Patriots. He even names the maker of the chain saw they used and where they buy all their materials etc. Kinda like when you watch a movie that was subsidized by Wal-Mart (Secrets of the Mountain for example) everything you see in the kitchen is labeled Great Value.
Don't forget the Mainstays brand.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Return to “Books & Videos”