"I, Sniper", a Bob Lee Swagger Novel

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

prossound
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "I, Sniper", a Bob Lee Swagger Novel

Post by prossound »

some of the balistic data does not match what I have found in the real world but I would have to go back through it to name specifics. it was not enough to bother me too much.

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

I found it to be a fun if a bit mindless page turner. Honestly they could have dropped the whole FBI thing and I would have been good, but I guess they left it in to show how powerfull a certain character is
I liked how he seemed to be taking a poke at the "Gun Culture" in America, seems like every gun guy has a glock, 5.11 pants, oakley shades, and a benchmade knife. I know i do.

I enjoyed the info on the iSniper911, I wonder how far off that Tech is?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

marksiwel wrote:I found it to be a fun if a bit mindless page turner. Honestly they could have dropped the whole FBI thing and I would have been good, but I guess they left it in to show how powerfull a certain character is
I liked how he seemed to be taking a poke at the "Gun Culture" in America, seems like every gun guy has a glock, 5.11 pants, oakley shades, and a benchmade knife. I know i do.

I enjoyed the info on the iSniper911, I wonder how far off that Tech is?
Mark, as far as I know, there is no such thing as an "iSniper911" software/scope system, by that brand name. That said, there are several precision shooting optics companies that offer something similar.

One of my son's .308s has a Horus scope with their ranging reticle, and Horus sells a software package for use on PDAs to maximize the use of the reticle. That software takes into account wind values, etc., and the reticle somewhat resembles the one described in the novel. It's the H25 reticle (scroll to bottom of page and click on the image). Also, the Chey-Tac .408 M200 Intervention rifle that Mark Wahlberg uses in the movie "Sniper," in which he is playing Bob Lee Swagger based on the original novel, "Point of Impact," is sold with a software package for calculating firing solutions. It even includes Coriolis forces and the earth's rotation in its calculations, and the proprietary cartridge will punch through plate steel at over 2500 yards. All such packages take into account bullet caliber/weight and other ballistic information.

Me, I'm old school. Give me a mil-dot reticle with .1 mil adjustments on the knobs, or older yet, a mil-dot scope with 1/4 MOA adjustments on the knobs. Computers can break. Software can go belly up. I have and will use a laser range finder, but batteries can die. When electrons stop flowing, you still better be able to dope wind and range a target using just the reticle, or go home.

However, neither the Horus nor the Chey-Tac will automatically light up the aiming point on the reticle as the novel suggests to be possible. Any system, even one as fully automated as that, would still require the shooter to know how to control his breathing, slow his heart rate, take a proper position to maximize the stability of the weapon system, and have sharp eyesight to boot. Those are talents that require training and practice to acquire.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

It'll get to the point where the rifle will be controlled by a Kid on his Xbox a thousand miles away "rlol"
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

nmsu
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nmsu »

Been dragging my feet on this one, but I'll have to go down and pick it up tomorrow.

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

marksiwel wrote:It'll get to the point where the rifle will be controlled by a Kid on his Xbox a thousand miles away "rlol"
Isn't the Air Force already doing that?

Return to “Books & Videos”