24 (Season 1)

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Cobra Medic
Posts in topic: 2

24 (Season 1)

Post by Cobra Medic »

I'm watching the first season of 24 on DVD. I'm up to hour 8. My question is does it get better? So far there's a lot of action and twists and turns, but the characters are unsympathetic. I don't care what happens to them.

His daughter, Kim, has had several opportunities to escape her captors but sabotages herself at the last minute each time.

His wife, Terry, could have easily escaped the fake Alan after she knocked him out and tied him up, but hung around for no reason. No surprise that she was recaptured.

I could go on but you get my point. Does 24 gte better or am I wasting my time?

I didn't like Seinfeld for the same reason. The characters go stupid places, do stupid things, and/or hang out with stupid people. Bad things predicably happen as a result. :sleep
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 24 (Season 1)

Post by chasfm11 »

I guess it is all about what you like. I thought it got better in the 2nd season but it was ups and downs after that, depending on the particular episode. When my wife and I got the first 3 season DVDs, we went on a marathon and watch 4-5 episodes in a sitting.

We really didn't watch it for character development, though Jack and Cloe (spelling?) seemed to be pretty well done. There was sometimes over acting and the season to season shifts were pretty incredible. We are really sorry that the series is gone, however. In its weakest moments, it had the reality TV beat six ways to Sunday.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

If you don't like it by now, you're wasting your time. If you're not enjoying it, turn it off.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

I found the first season and part of the second season enjoyable. After that the show became too predictable (I won't say how cause I don't want to ruin the "plot" for you if you like that kind of thing) for me. I see it as a remake of the "Lone Ranger" series where everyone is helpless and unable to defend themselves against the bad men. But when Tonto gets beaten up the Lone Ranger enters the fray. As everyone knows, the lone ranger rides in with guns blazing and saves the day (alone! :anamatedbanana ). Ahhhhh ... were life only this simple!
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Way off topic, please forgive me.

Mrs. Oldgringo and I don't watch a lot of our DISH TV programs because of commercial innundation. We subscribe to NetFlix and rented two TV series that we never watched while they ran. We could not wait for the next episode of "Boston Legal" and following that "West Wing". TV can be good under the proper setting. The "Sopranos" got old quickly. There is a place for the F-bomb but it's not every other word.

I'm sorry, back on topic we go.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I have bought the first season of 24 but have not watched it.

My brother and his family loved it. They also really enjoyed Lost, but I watched the first two shows and I could not get into it. We both like the X Files. So I'm still hoping I like 24.

Right now I am watching Breaking Bad, which I have become addicted to. What I have found is that watching DVD's of TV shows is so much more fun than watching it live. My wife and I both love NCIS but we DVR it and watch it later on that same day to FF through the endless commercials.

The seasons of 24 are now old enough that Target usually will put them on sale for $19.99 occasionally. I'm not however buying any more till I watch the first season to see if it is as good as people tell me it is.

Topic author
Cobra Medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cobra Medic »

MadMonkey wrote:If you don't like it by now, you're wasting your time. If you're not enjoying it, turn it off.
I dropped it from my netflix queue. I know it won an emmy or something but if it's going to be more of the same, it's not what I'm in the mood to watch now.

Thanks y'all. :tiphat:
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

24 was escape fiction, and we looked forward to every episode.
I had missed season 1 and watched it last year, and I agree it was weaker than later seasons.

I have Boston Legal all episodes, need to get to watching that.

I'm also looking for a new show to fill that void left when '24' stopped. Suggestions?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

snorri

Post by snorri »

http://milspecmonkey.com/store/products ... wjbd?.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

Return to “Books & Videos”