Additional Step to Ensure Loaded/Unloaded Status

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
KFP
Posts in topic: 4

Additional Step to Ensure Loaded/Unloaded Status

Post by KFP »

I have hesitated posting this for some time, but I've decided that the safety issue is not any different than anytime that we holster or unholster our carry pieces.

There are often a lot of discussions on here about finding out that your gun did not have a round chambered, empty mag well, etc. I have never been a big proponent of the press check and instead prefer to use a mirror and flashlight to actually see the chambered round. This is easily accomplished in your bathroom mirror by pointing the weapon at the mirror (be very aware of what is beyond your mirror and that you finger is not on the trigger) and shining your flashlight into the mirror so that you can see the chambered round.

This allows another option to verify the unloaded or loaded status of the weapon.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Additional Step to Ensure Loaded/Unloaded Status

Post by longtooth »

See us Old Dogs can learn a new trick.
Thanks.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Aren't you pointing the gun at yourself? Not to mention the man in the mirror is pointing a gun at you! :smilelol5:

Safety, first last and always. :thumbs2:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

7075-T7

Post by 7075-T7 »

I usually just look down the barrel....

"rlol"

Topic author
KFP

Post by KFP »

MoJo wrote:Aren't you pointing the gun at yourself? Not to mention the man in the mirror is pointing a gun at you! :smilelol5:

Safety, first last and always. :thumbs2:
I've never been good at doing two things at once, but the guy pointing his gun at me in the mirror looks awful friendly! (The 200 grain +P Gold Dot is a different story.)
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Topic author
KFP

Post by KFP »

7075-T7 wrote:I usually just look down the barrel....

"rlol"

I hope not to verify that it is loaded! That "how to" tip wouldn't help out very much.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

nguyen925

Post by nguyen925 »

I'm glad the SR9c has a chamber indicator, but I always I guess "press back" to make sure there's a round in the chamber.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've heard of the mirror idea before, but unless you're really diligent ("Did I really not see a round in there, or am I just too tired?"), it's not a good one IMO. Nothing beats pulling back the slide IMO (it's a lot easier to see a bullet that way).

Of course, I just keep a bucket of sand by my desk which I point the gun in and pull the trigger a couple of times...

Just Kidding! "rlol"

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

it seems overly complicated to me but if it works for you that's great.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

KFP wrote:I have never been a big proponent of the press check ...
OK, this sounds like a discussion possibility. Why?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
KFP wrote:I have never been a big proponent of the press check ...
OK, this sounds like a discussion possibility. Why?
I think some people tend to muzzle themselves when they do it. OTOH, I don't see why us responsible folks should avoid a useful technique just because somebody else can't pull it off...
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I don't get it either. If I'm being lazy I pull the slide back a little and look. When I'm not lazy I release the mag and eject the round in the chamber if there is one. Then I reinsert the mag and chamber a round, eject the mag to put the previously ejected round back in, and rereinsert the mag back into the gun and holster.

Much of this is a moot point for me because I always carry with a round in the chamber.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LSL

Post by LSL »

Even this newbie knows, understands and follows the example of C-Dub.

Always in the correct order: Remove magazine; rack to eject round; visually inspect chamber/barrel; replace magazine; rack to load one round; eject magazine and manually "top off"; replace magazine; As personal choice -- apply safety or not.

Finger always off the trigger.
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

C-dub wrote:When I'm not lazy I release the mag and eject the round in the chamber if there is one. Then I reinsert the mag and chamber a round, eject the mag to put the previously ejected round back in, and rereinsert the mag back into the gun and holster.
LSL wrote:Always in the correct order: Remove magazine; rack to eject round; visually inspect chamber/barrel; replace magazine; rack to load one round; eject magazine and manually "top off"; replace magazine
If you're chambering the same two bullets over & over again, be very careful about bullet setback. I've heard some people say it only ever happens on reloaded rounds, but I've had it happen to me with some of my factory JHP bullets. (Thankfully it's something that I'm somewhat paranoid about, so I haven't been bit by it yet.)
LSL wrote:Finger always off the trigger.
:iagree: :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Dave2 wrote:
C-dub wrote:When I'm not lazy I release the mag and eject the round in the chamber if there is one. Then I reinsert the mag and chamber a round, eject the mag to put the previously ejected round back in, and rereinsert the mag back into the gun and holster.
If you're chambering the same two bullets over & over again, be very careful about bullet setback. I've heard some people say it only ever happens on reloaded rounds, but I've had it happen to me with some of my factory JHP bullets. (Thankfully it's something that I'm somewhat paranoid about, so I haven't been bit by it yet.)
I haven't seen any yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “"How To" Tips”