Almost had a situation tonight.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
suthdj
Posts in topic: 4

Almost had a situation tonight.

Post by suthdj »

I have to say I don't think I handled myself as I would of liked but it all worked out, so far.

I was sitting at a stop light and looked at the driver behind me he was acting real odd going in circles and head banging like he is somewhere between a medical emergency and just really rocking out. I really wasn't sure so as I pulled away from the light I watched to see if he would drive also and he did but followed me to Costco I took a long route to a parking spot and he followed then drove around and parked in front of me.
At this time I uncovered my gun told wife an kid to stay in seat belt and placed car in reverse. He got out walked up to the car and started with "God wanted me to follow you" to which I responded with "You need to walk away now" I think he noticed my hand was not in a natural position for how I was sitting, I seen a bit of a light bulb go off in his head (his facial expression changed a bit). He repeated his phrase a few more times and I repeated mine. Finally he walks away with a parting "Your going to pay eternally for this" which I took as a threat. I took a few pictures of him and after he drove away I moved my car to a different spot and watched all the way home to make sure I wasn't followed.

So while I was walking around the store my mind going over it I realized I wasn't watching his hands that I can think of, mostly his face, my hand wasn't on my gun but real close to it, don't remember if door was locked or not and I only rolled down the window about an inch so voice could be heard.

I sent the pics to my son incase anything happens and am waiting on call back from police to make a report. All in all it worked out but a learning experience for sure.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

thatguy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Almost had a situation tonight.

Post by thatguy »

Sounds like you handled yourself fairly well to me, you picked up on the cues, created space and then took pics.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Good deal, nothing happened and it was just another experience. I like the outcome better than another article in the news about a shooting.

Double cheers and just relax.

:cheers2: :cheers2:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

You handled it well enough.

I'm too old to put up with a lot of woulda', coulda', shoulda' PC {stuff}. My gun would have been exposed in my lap with my thumb on the safety......I think.

DocV

Post by DocV »

The last time G-d told somebody to talk to me, He evidently told them to ask for money for meth. My reply was less kind than yours. You handled the situation quite well.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

You handled the situation fairly well it sounds like. Someone follows me to a store and then parks in front of me, gets and and walks towards me. I think I'd be perceiving that as an act of aggression and a threat. Don't think I would have let them get to the window to have a conversation myself, but its easy to Monday morning things.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

I've had similar, even more extreme events happen. In each case I got out of the car, and kept it between me and the aggressor. No sitting duck in the car for me.
You may have the last word.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

You may not have handled it as well as you would have liked, but most of us rarely have the opportunity to train for situations like this in advance. I suppose you could consider this a training exercise that can be learned from.

I think that if I found myself in a similar situation and my wife or daughter were with me I would have had them on the phone with the police.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jrene

Post by jrene »

I would have called 911 and headed to the nearest police station. Why put yourself in a situation like that? Stay in your car, keep moving, stay on the line with 911 while giving them your location and direction of travel and wait for the cavalary to stop the guy.

Topic author
suthdj

Post by suthdj »

jrene wrote:I would have called 911 and headed to the nearest police station. Why put yourself in a situation like that? Stay in your car, keep moving, stay on the line with 911 while giving them your location and direction of travel and wait for the cavalry to stop the guy.
Ya, that's the same advice I give my wife as she chooses not to protect herself. I on the other hand refuse to be intimidated by 1 small to mid size guy an trust me I am not a big guy either. I don't have time to be waiting on police or miss my time to run errands and get things done because 1 nut job wants to be stupid. I could have kept driving to avoid the guy but if he is determined to be stupid I would rather get it done and over with as soon as I can so I can go on with my evening. BTW if you look at my image I was a Cavalry scout. It may seem I am spoiling for a fight but no I am not I just refuse to have my life manipulated or controlled by a thug oh and no he wasn't black. Ill post some high res pics as soon as I get them on my site.
21-Apr-09 filed online

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

Sounds like this guy my have mental health problems. Now I wouldn't hesitate to clean a cognizant persons clock, I do have sympathy who might be me but for the grace of God. Dive to a well lighted area, call 911 and protect your family. You might ultimately help protect the other guy from himself, Who knows, he might be a veteran hero also. If you served you deserve respect.

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Pariah3j wrote:You handled the situation fairly well it sounds like. Someone follows me to a store and then parks in front of me, gets and and walks towards me. I think I'd be perceiving that as an act of aggression and a threat. Don't think I would have let them get to the window to have a conversation myself, but its easy to Monday morning things.
The guy could have followed him briefly to tell him he had a low rear tire, his gas flap was open with the cap hanging down, or some other innocent reason. Sometimes an aggressive defense is the best course. I think OP did a great job in this scenario..
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My wife and I have discussed this kind of encounter before, ever since she was the victim of a hit-and-run driver who acted like he wanted to pull over and exchange insurance info, by attempted to lure her to a more secluded area off the road, before suddenly fleeing. She said that her first instinct was to want to follow him and get the cops on the phone, but she suddenly realized how close she had come to something REALLY bad, and she started shaking and let it go. She was carrying at the time. It happened only a block down the street from the Grapevine PD HQ, so we drove over there and met an officer who filed a report. I had suggested to her before this happened that if she ever had something threatening happen while driving, she should drive straight to the closest PD and call them on the way, asking for an officer to meet her out front.

The GVPD officer who met us and took the report also said this was a good strategy, and now that is her first response.......and mine.....when being harassed by another driver.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I have always thought that If I suspected I was being followed, I would take about 10 left and right turns and see if they continued to follow.

Topic author
suthdj

Post by suthdj »

John Galt wrote:I have always thought that If I suspected I was being followed, I would take about 10 left and right turns and see if they continued to follow.
Only need 4 same direction turns to see if they are following that makes a complete circle.
21-Apr-09 filed online

Return to “Off-Topic”