Movie "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Movie "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi"

Post by K.Mooneyham »

My wife and I went to see this movie last night in Wichita Falls at the Cinemark (posted 30.07, but not 30.06).

I want to whole-heartedly endorse this movie if you have any interest in what happened over there. I don't want to ruin the movie so I won't say anything about any details. I will say that there are some very graphic violent scenes, bad language, and so the movie is not for those who are faint of heart or don't condone watching such things. I thought the movie was well-made and I put it right up there with any other movie about "modern" warfare in the desert. The movie never names any political figures that I can remember, other than the Ambassador himself. But they make it very clear how they felt about what happened and where the blame lies. I encourage everyone to go see it.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Movie "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi"

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Haven't seen the movie yet but plan to start reading this book based upon Benghazi events today:

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

The evil monster known as "Hillary" had the temerity to call the family members who lost loved ones at Benghazi as liars.

And yet, the pinheads, known as liberals will vote for her if she gets nominated.

Have they no shame...?

ttownsig

Post by ttownsig »

Awesome to hear it is worthwhile since we have plans to go see this movie tonight.

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Abraham wrote:The evil monster known as "Hillary" had the temerity to call the family members who lost loved ones at Benghazi as liars.

And yet, the pinheads, known as liberals will vote for her if she gets nominated.

Have they no shame...?
Abraham, I think that most people who identify as "liberal" are willfully blind. They see bad things happen, but unless it is something politically attractive to them, or has some direct impact on their daily lives, they tune it out. Maybe we are all "guilty" of that to some degree, but I believe those folks are the "most guilty". I'm not speaking of the leadership on that side of things, but about those who vote. I really hope that a lot of folks will go watch this movie and something in it may cause them to open their eyes just a bit.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

You might want to watch this - in fact I highly recommend that everyone watch it -
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I got to see this at the world premiere at jerry world. I agree that it is an excellent movie.
NRA Benefactor Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

baldeagle wrote:You might want to watch this - in fact I highly recommend that everyone watch it -
Very interesting video.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I doubt anyone who watches a movie has an accurate idea of the events supposedly depicted. Real life just doesn't make for an entertaining movie. It has to be jazzed up, dramatized. At least, that's what John Wayne and Walt Disney did with the Alamo, among others.

It's entertainment, not history.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

stroo

Post by stroo »

Unfortunately the accounts out of the White House and Hilary also seem to be entertainment/propaganda, not history.

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

JALLEN wrote:I doubt anyone who watches a movie has an accurate idea of the events supposedly depicted. Real life just doesn't make for an entertaining movie. It has to be jazzed up, dramatized. At least, that's what John Wayne and Walt Disney did with the Alamo, among others.

That as may be, but since the guys who were there helped make this movie, I'll go with this version of events.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

K.Mooneyham wrote:
JALLEN wrote:I doubt anyone who watches a movie has an accurate idea of the events supposedly depicted. Real life just doesn't make for an entertaining movie. It has to be jazzed up, dramatized. At least, that's what John Wayne and Walt Disney did with the Alamo, among others.

That as may be, but since the guys who were there helped make this movie, I'll go with this version of events.
Pretty much.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

dlh

Post by dlh »

I saw the movie this past Friday--excellent.

I left the theater shaking my head strongly believing that Ambassador Stevens's death could have been prevented with adequate security.

dlh
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Weapons man (ex SF) review: http://weaponsman.com/?p=28975
We’ve already held up Black Hawk Down as an example, and having read the books in both cases, we can say categorically that 13 Hours makes fewer departures from the book than its film grandpappy. This film is accurate in many ways large and small.

The degree to which the movie sets replicate the combat locations of the diplomatic compound and the annex is uncanny and bespeaks hard work by researchers and below-the-line technical crew.

Most of the firearms as carried by the GRS and State DSS shooters are quite correct. Some capabilities of ISR systems are exaggerated or “Hollywood.” Tracers are all right and RPGs and grenades are all wrong, and Bay’s pyrotechnicians couldn’t resist good old Hollywood fireballs. There is, generally, more flame and less smoke than probably occurred that miserable night; the reduced smoke is probably a concession to the storyteller’s art.
The portrayal of client/PSD relations (including the near-suicidal cluelessness of those Harvard and Yale types when doing meets) is so accurate it’s uncanny. Did that really get cleared for publication in the book? It did. And it made it into the movie. Uncanny.

Perhaps a reason for the unusual level of accuracy is the unusual degree to which the director, cast and crew involved the actual men portrayed in the movie in the production. Whatever they did, it worked.
The bottom line

The critical establishment hates 13 Hours, to the point where they’re reviewing it without watching it. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is not going to give it any cookies; nobody’s transgendered or questioning, and the bad guys are Hollywood anathema, real bad guys saying bad guy stuff (“allahu akbar”) and carrying the black flag of regression. Somewhere under the LA smog, some jerk is already pitching a remake with the villains changed to European neo-nazis and a general who’s secretly the Kosmic Koalscuttle of the KKK.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “Off-Topic”