Missing tourist submarine at Titanic wreck site

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Missing tourist submarine at Titanic wreck site

Post by jb2012 »

philip964 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:13 pm https://apple.news/AA1VfoiWiQQ-NXwOmmxMQ9w

All 5 members of submersible tourist craft are dead.

RIP

Craft imploded. Article above is about Navy hearing it when it happened.

Implosion would not have been my first thought about how it went down. Caught on debris, electrical failure or a small leak that flooded the craft would have been my fist guesses.
The thing is, at that depth, a small leak means instant decompression of the sub. There is no small leak when you're talking about thousands of pounds of pressure per SQUARE INCH. As soon as the craft lost internal pressure at those depths, it was immediately crushed, and the internal temperatures likely rose by incredible amounts instantly.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Grayling813 »

jb2012 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:01 pm
philip964 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:13 pm https://apple.news/AA1VfoiWiQQ-NXwOmmxMQ9w

All 5 members of submersible tourist craft are dead.

RIP

Craft imploded. Article above is about Navy hearing it when it happened.

Implosion would not have been my first thought about how it went down. Caught on debris, electrical failure or a small leak that flooded the craft would have been my fist guesses.
The thing is, at that depth, a small leak means instant decompression of the sub. There is no small leak when you're talking about thousands of pounds of pressure per SQUARE INCH. As soon as the craft lost internal pressure at those depths, it was immediately crushed, and the internal temperatures likely rose by incredible amounts instantly.
The US Navy’s undersea listening system is good enough for the operators to hear the difference between an implosion and an explosion.

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by eyedoc »

"The US Navy’s undersea listening system is good enough for the operators to hear the difference between an implosion and an explosion."

It was that good in the 70s when my uncle heard a sub implode with it.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Post by philip964 »

Grayling813 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:34 pm
FastCarry wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:23 pm Submersible requires a launch craft, submarine doesnt
:iagree:

I have left a submerged submarine onto an attached submersible, DSRV Mystic, and descended about 3/4 mile deep. I’ll never forget what those of us who were “taking a ride” were told once the Mystic detached from the submarine and began descending: “Don’t worry, if anything bad happens we’ll all be dead before we realize what is happening.”
Did you ever eat at Norm’s diner in Groton. One of my favorites.
Kitchen Little in Mystic is also a favorite.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Grayling813 »

eyedoc wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:44 pm "The US Navy’s undersea listening system is good enough for the operators to hear the difference between an implosion and an explosion."

Scorpion?

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

eyedoc wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:44 pm "The US Navy’s undersea listening system is good enough for the operators to hear the difference between an implosion and an explosion."

YES
it is despite what you hear on the budget floor
man made sounds are very very different from nature.
a crushing collapse , would be very noisy in the scheme of things

a leak in a drop or a spray in a submarine...maybe they could fix it, but its not a submarine.
its a really thin walled bubble and a leak would go from HEY its wet, to HEY we are dead extremely fast

not so sure about the sudden HEAT from imploding, but i can see it from a science standpoint
lots of energy to displace really fast
think boat propeller cavitation and the bubbles that eat at a prop surface

those people probably only had time to think Oh, if at all

a shame
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Post by philip964 »

“ The Titan’s hull was constructed from two different materials: carbon fiber-reinforced plastic and titanium.”

Your kidding me?

It shows a computer monitor screwed into the carbon fiber hull.
Last edited by philip964 on Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:27 pm “ The Titan’s hull was constructed from two different materials: carbon fiber-reinforced plastic and titanium.”

Your kidding me?
Yeah, there was a VERY GOOD reason that sub wasn't certified to that depth... Apparently the designers wanted 2 more inches thickness... and even with that there would be risks.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

powerboatr wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:26 pm

YES
it is despite what you hear on the budget floor
man made sounds are very very different from nature.
a crushing collapse , would be very noisy in the scheme of things

a leak in a drop or a spray in a submarine...maybe they could fix it, but its not a submarine.
its a really thin walled bubble and a leak would go from HEY its wet, to HEY we are dead extremely fast

not so sure about the sudden HEAT from imploding, but i can see it from a science standpoint
lots of energy to displace really fast
think boat propeller cavitation and the bubbles that eat at a prop surface

those people probably only had time to think Oh, if at all

a shame
Supposedly they knew they were in trouble and dropped the emergency ballast to come up, but they imploded too fast.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

OceanGate CEO: 'You're Remembered For The Rules You Break'
And indeed he will. Just not for the reason he probably hoped.
The carbon fiber and titanium – there’s a rule you don’t do that,” Rush said, speaking of the materials used to construct the sub. “Well, I did. It’s picking the rules that you break that are the ones that will add value to others and add value to society, and that really to me is about innovation.

It is very difficult to test and verify. ...Metallic hulls have elasticity to them. We know how they behave. ... But carbon fiber – very, very strong in tension. They’re not so strong in compression. And we know that. But it is how do they react under extreme pressure that leaves a lot of research.

Rush was also definitely warned that this approach was, at best, incredibly risky. The BBC obtained emails from 2018 between deepsea submersible expert Rob McCallum where McCallum begged him to hold off on using the Titan until it was thoroughly tested and independently classified. Rush’s response was that he was “tired of industry players who try to use a safety argument to stop innovation.” According to McCallum, the email exchange stopped because OceanGate’s lawyers threatened to take legal action against him.

“I think you are potentially placing yourself and your clients in a dangerous dynamic,” McCallum told Rush. “In your race to Titanic you are mirroring that famous catch cry: ‘She is unsinkable.’” In another message, Rush told McCallum, “We have heard the baseless cries of ‘you are going to kill someone’ way too often. I take this as a serious personal insult.”
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

According to this video, Rush fired his own in-house engineer who repeatedly told him that this submersible design MUST be NDT and NDI tested for pressure-rating before being used for human exploration. The plaintiff's case is writing itself when all of this goes to court against Rush's estate.

Incidentally, the company’s website has been taken down.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Great video.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

excellent take on the ocean gate from the video
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:24 am According to this video, Rush fired his own in-house engineer who repeatedly told him that this submersible design MUST be NDT and NDI tested for pressure-rating before being used for human exploration. The plaintiff's case is writing itself when all of this goes to court against Rush's estate.

Incidentally, the company’s website has been taken down.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Indications are that the fate of the Sub was known from the beginning. Why the week long media drama?

Return to “Off-Topic”