Texas Vehicle Inspection

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Texas Vehicle Inspection

Post by carlson1 »

JRG wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:56 pm How will this affect trailer inspections? Will it stop them also?

Joe
I hope so Joe. Ever since they figured out the computer stuff they begin the trailer inspections and then they started enforcing it. All they do at my RV shop is lights and blinkers. On my way with $7.50 (whenever it cost) less in my pocket. My problem is not the fee. My thing is they are not really inspecting. I have to go hook up and take it to town (it is stored in a barn in Smith County). It not an easy task.

So I would love to see the inspections on trailers go.

JRG
Posts in topic: 6

Post by JRG »

carlson1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:25 am
JRG wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:56 pm How will this affect trailer inspections? Will it stop them also?

Joe
I hope so Joe. Ever since they figured out the computer stuff they begin the trailer inspections and then they started enforcing it. All they do at my RV shop is lights and blinkers. On my way with $7.50 (whenever it cost) less in my pocket. My problem is not the fee. My thing is they are not really inspecting. I have to go hook up and take it to town (it is stored in a barn in Smith County). It not an easy task.

So I would love to see the inspections on trailers go.
I hear you Carl. We live full time in our 44' fifth wheel, and it is a major pain to pull in all 5 slides, stow away everything, hook up to the truck, and drive however far the inspection station is. Plus with the size of our RV, not all trailer inspection stations can handle us. And you are right, all they check is lights, blinkers, and brake lights.Such a waste of time.

Joe

Topic author
mayor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mayor »

Joe
Good question.

JRG

Post by JRG »

I just got new tags for my Mobile Suites fifth wheel WITHOUT an inspection! It is now a "self inspection". You need to go to the DMV site and search for form VTR-269. Print it off, fill it out, and either mail it in or go to the tax office in person. We went today to the office on Polk Street in south Dallas around 1:00 and only had to wait about 10 minutes. We paid our money and got our new sticker.

The clerk tried to tell me I needed an inspection, but I told her to look on the form and it specified self inspection. She checked with her supervisor and all was good.

This is SO MUCH better than trying to get a 44 foot fifth wheel inspected at a gas station.

Joe

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by howdy »

New law says ALL trailers <7500lbs do NOT require a state inspection.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Boxerrider »

The motor vehicle inspection law does not take effect this year though, correct?

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

JRG wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:22 pm I just got new tags for my Mobile Suites fifth wheel WITHOUT an inspection! It is now a "self inspection". You need to go to the DMV site and search for form VTR-269. Print it off, fill it out, and either mail it in or go to the tax office in person. We went today to the office on Polk Street in south Dallas around 1:00 and only had to wait about 10 minutes. We paid our money and got our new sticker.

The clerk tried to tell me I needed an inspection, but I told her to look on the form and it specified self inspection. She checked with her supervisor and all was good.

This is SO MUCH better than trying to get a 44 foot fifth wheel inspected at a gas station.

Joe
i have been declaring my bus is out of state for years...due to that exact issue
i go to the inspection place and joe the inspector checks the VIN and wipers and walks back inside
sort of weird so i quit doing it

first two years i had it the place wanted to drive it and test brakes (air) and i asked if inspection had class b license..no so they checked lights

seemed like a waste anyway. now the leos can get you for faulty gear.. and vehicle is "safe" all year vice 20 minutes at the inspection station

i do it all on line as well. have not been inside a dmv in long long time
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

JRG

Post by JRG »

True, all they ever did on my fifth wheel was check lights, brake lights, flashers, and turn signals. Such a waste of time. So glad I don't have to go through it anymore.

She did ask why I was a year overdue, and I correctly stated that it is an RV and we travel quite a bit. So, they only charged me for the coming 12 months and not the previous 12.

Joe

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Just e they ask me the same questions, but my answer it is always in storage and I only use it three to four times a year.

JRG

Post by JRG »

Boxerrider wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:51 pm The motor vehicle inspection law does not take effect this year though, correct?
I heard that the motor vehicle law takes effect January of 2025.

Joe

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

JRG wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:57 am
Boxerrider wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:51 pm The motor vehicle inspection law does not take effect this year though, correct?

Joe
That is about right all of my vehicles are so November and January. Will have to do all three and then the law takes place.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

That sounds familiar. Thanks!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I live in Tarrant county. According to the article, it seems like nothing is going to change for me.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mel »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:58 am I live in Tarrant county. According to the article, it seems like nothing is going to change for me.
That's the way I understand it. Dallas, Tarrant, and all counties touching these.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

JRG wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:57 am

Joe
Yep. Originally, I believe the legislative bill was to go into effect this September 1 like most new laws, but the DMV was given more time to get all the procedures (and bureaucracy) in place for the change. So it takes effect for registrations on or after January 1.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Off-Topic”