Does WalMart have a new policy?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Does WalMart have a new policy?

Post by MeMelYup »

sbrawley wrote:
C-dub wrote:I was just thinking about something else. I don't know why they would or should care about anyone except the person doing the purchasing. I have purchased ammo often with my daughter and they haven't once questioned me about that. And we have even mentioned that WE were on our way to the range and that she was also going to shoot. It shouldn't matter since I am her parent and over 21. So, it also shouldn't matter for anyone else as long as the purchaser is legally able to purchase the ammo.
This is what we all said. My wife even tried explaining what if we all left and the friend came back to purchase. The basically said they wouldn't sell it to her that day because they know she is with a group. I'm not going to be buying my ammo from WalMart again, there's always Gander Mtn or Academy that will appreciate my business.
What is a straw purchase?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

MeMelYup wrote:
sbrawley wrote:
C-dub wrote:I was just thinking about something else. I don't know why they would or should care about anyone except the person doing the purchasing. I have purchased ammo often with my daughter and they haven't once questioned me about that. And we have even mentioned that WE were on our way to the range and that she was also going to shoot. It shouldn't matter since I am her parent and over 21. So, it also shouldn't matter for anyone else as long as the purchaser is legally able to purchase the ammo.
This is what we all said. My wife even tried explaining what if we all left and the friend came back to purchase. The basically said they wouldn't sell it to her that day because they know she is with a group. I'm not going to be buying my ammo from WalMart again, there's always Gander Mtn or Academy that will appreciate my business.
I don't think that applies to ammo.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

C-dub wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
sbrawley wrote:
If you have a person that looks about 21 and wants to buy 9mm ammo, but claims that he doesn't hve a license on him. This person gets another to try and buy the ammo for him. Would you sell ammo to the person knowing that it is for the person that looks about 21 and doesn't have ID? What would be the fine if it's a set up?

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:I think they decided to make it a moot point and sell it directly on Gunbroker... :biggrinjester:
I was watching some Hickok45 videos and happened to come across a number of Walmart ammo selling videos. One had a guy interviewing a Walmart employee who offered to call him when they got a fresh shipment.....with the employee getting $2 a box (the guy offered $10 a shipment but the employee said he wasn't greedy).

There were a couple of videos about employees hiding ammo for friends and relatives. I've personally heard a store employee calling someone I'm guessing was a friend or relative telling him they just got in a shipment, so I found the vids I bothered to watch plausible. Of course the people doing the vids had no way of knowing whether these friends and relative were buying for personal use or reselling.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

MeMelYup wrote:
C-dub wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
sbrawley wrote:
If you have a person that looks about 21 and wants to buy 9mm ammo, but claims that he doesn't hve a license on him. This person gets another to try and buy the ammo for him. Would you sell ammo to the person knowing that it is for the person that looks about 21 and doesn't have ID? What would be the fine if it's a set up?
That makes sense and I understand the reasoning. I just don't know if the mere possession of ammo is prohibited by someone under 21y. If there are two friends going to the range and they are a few months apart in age with one being 21y and the other being 20y, what difference does it make? The 20y old can legally possess the firearm that can shoot the ammo he can't legally purchase. I guess my point is whether or not it is or should be up to the store to be making those types of judgments when someone can prove they are over 21y and can legally purchase the ammo. If so, then I should I not be able to purchase ammo if my 13y daughter is with me?

Maybe there is a hole in the laws? An 18y old cannot legally purchase and handgun, but can possess one. What good is that if they are unable to purchase the ammo?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

C-dub wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
C-dub wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
sbrawley wrote:
That makes sense and I understand the reasoning. I just don't know if the mere possession of ammo is prohibited by someone under 21y. If there are two friends going to the range and they are a few months apart in age with one being 21y and the other being 20y, what difference does it make? The 20y old can legally possess the firearm that can shoot the ammo he can't legally purchase. I guess my point is whether or not it is or should be up to the store to be making those types of judgments when someone can prove they are over 21y and can legally purchase the ammo. If so, then I should I not be able to purchase ammo if my 13y daughter is with me?

Maybe there is a hole in the laws? An 18y old cannot legally purchase and handgun, but can possess one. What good is that if they are unable to purchase the ammo?
The law is that you have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammunition, the same as to purchase a handgun. That is why a lot of sales people ask a young person if they are buying 22 ammo for a rifle. If they are buying it for a handgun the sales clerk cannot sell it to them. BATFE stipulates that a person must be over 21 to purchase handgun ammunition.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Way too many ridiculous Laws will always require ridiculous actions. My 18 year old young adult children carried loaded handguns under MPA and always had plenty of ammo. They also open carried handguns when doing chores outside when under 18. Both perfectly legal acts.
III

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I never go to Walmart. Anecdotally I do not feel that its safe. Seems like periodically I read about a ND in Walmart, a parking lot incident, and of course there was the case recently where a CHL was tackled going into Walmart. Mail order ammo is cheaper, safer, and more convenient!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

MeMelYup wrote:The law is that you have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammunition, the same as to purchase a handgun. That is why a lot of sales people ask a young person if they are buying 22 ammo for a rifle. If they are buying it for a handgun the sales clerk cannot sell it to them. BATFE stipulates that a person must be over 21 to purchase handgun ammunition.
Okay, but what is the law on possession of handgun ammo? IDK, but it is legal for an 18y old to possess a handgun. I would guess that it is also legal for an 18y old to possess the ammo since it is also legal for an 18y old to have that handgun in their home for self defense or concealed in their car. If they can't purchase it, how did they come to possess it? This is the hole of which I'm eluding to.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:The law is that you have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammunition, the same as to purchase a handgun. That is why a lot of sales people ask a young person if they are buying 22 ammo for a rifle. If they are buying it for a handgun the sales clerk cannot sell it to them. BATFE stipulates that a person must be over 21 to purchase handgun ammunition.
Okay, but what is the law on possession of handgun ammo? IDK, but it is legal for an 18y old to possess a handgun. I would guess that it is also legal for an 18y old to possess the ammo since it is also legal for an 18y old to have that handgun in their home for self defense or concealed in their car. If they can't purchase it, how did they come to possess it? This is the hole of which I'm eluding to.
There are laws for licensed dealers and individuals that differ. The Youth Handgun Safety Act http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/d ... 5300-2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says a 'person' may not transfer or sell a handgun or ammo to be used in a handgun if the recipient is under 18. The GCA states that a licensee may not sell a handgun or ammo for a handgun to anyone under 21 https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licens ... -employees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, bottom line, an individual who is not a licensed dealer may sell or transfer a handgun or handgun ammo to someone who is 18, but a licensee cannot sell or transfer to them if under 21.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I guess those 18 year olds with long guns (or handguns) in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, 45 ACP, 9mm and a few other calibers will have to continue getting ammo from friends and relatives.

If 22LR can fall into a different category at Wal-Mart I wonder if Hornady LEVERevolution designed specifically for lever guns would apply. Probably not. :rules:
III

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Honestly, Walmart does (mostly) a good job for it's customers.

Anti-corporate folks seem to hate them.

They provide jobs for many that would be unemployable elsewhere. Do they pay top dollar? No. But minimum wage or perhaps a bit better is undoubtedly an improvement over not working. So, to a certain extent, they not only provide some income for the mostly unemployable, they provide a bit of dignity versus accepting welfare.

Oh, for the record, I've never been a Walmart employee, but I have been in management for a Fortune 500 corporation, so yes, I think corporations a good thing...but, of course I would. I'm a CAPITALIST.

Also, for the record, Walmart sells more than Chinese products, like Colt LE 6920 ARs, Federal ammunition, produce, Mobil 1 oil, and I'll stop there.

If you find a Walmart that selectively decides to enforce arbitrary nonsense, talk to the manager. If he or she doesn't respond well to reason, go higher...

SkipB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SkipB »

I think a lot of it is people trying to inter-pit the law or regulations governing ammo. I generally always buy ammo from a gun store. There are several here in the Waco area and I browse them a lot. Of course I don't always buy a gun so ammo keeps them happy with me browsing.
Skip Bishop

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote:
C-dub wrote:
There are laws for licensed dealers and individuals that differ. The Youth Handgun Safety Act http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/d ... 5300-2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says a 'person' may not transfer or sell a handgun or ammo to be used in a handgun if the recipient is under 18. The GCA states that a licensee may not sell a handgun or ammo for a handgun to anyone under 21 https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licens ... -employees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, bottom line, an individual who is not a licensed dealer may sell or transfer a handgun or handgun ammo to someone who is 18, but a licensee cannot sell or transfer to them if under 21.
Thanks for the reference Keith.

This all fits into my point. Why is walmart concerned with me doing something that is legal for me to do? It shouldn't be of any concern of theirs. Maybe they don't understand all this.

Return to “Off-Topic”