Stay Warm and Safe the Next Few Days

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 32

Re: Stay Warm and Safe the Next Few Days

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

surferdaddy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:40 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:26 am Mine is cycling on and off every 15-30 minutes now. My daughter said her home is in an outage area. The power company estimated 8:30 am to have it back up! That is a long time with no heat! That is crazy!

Hope your xritters stay warm.
Holy cow, 8:30! I have gotten estimated from Oncor before like that and it only turned out to be 29-30 minutes so hopefully the case here.
They have been down since 1:30. I hope your right and they get it repaired sooner. I offered to let them come here. It is only five minutes but they don't want to get my grand daughter up so early. Mine is rotating on and off now several times.

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by surferdaddy »

Powers been on for around an hour now so hopefully supply is meeting demand. Still dumping snow outside.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

03Lightningrocks

Well good luck to you.

seph

Post by seph »

Been out since 1:40 am here. About a third of the Travis county (Austin) has been out that long due to the blackout.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

03Lightningrocks

seph wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:02 am Been out since 1:40 am here. About a third of the Travis county (Austin) has been out that long due to the blackout.
Why do I think this is going to get worse before it gets better?

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 7

Post by MaduroBU »

Really interesting experience. I'm the odd Griddy customer that didn't leave. I'm stuck at the hospital regardless, so I just want my house warm enough to keep my plants alive. I have a network thermostat, so I can monitor my house from work, and my plan is to watch the ERCOT spot price and run the heater (mercifully, that's gas, so just the blower using juice) when it's "low". My landlord and I stuffed a LOT of insulation in the attic and I have pretty good blinds, so my house actually doesn't lose heat that quickly despite it being a 1950s ranch house. For comparison, I ran the temperature up to 75F around 1600 and have left the heat off since, with the temps only dropping to 54F as of 0400. I straight up unplugged my fridge and moved the contents of my freezer into an ice chest that I placed outside....I figure that God will refrigerate my turkey stock and deer sausage for free.

I had 2 days of ~$8 power for the day, but today it shot up to $30 due to me leaving my fridge on. As of 0400 on 2/15, I've paid $85.14 for 259 kwh of power, with the vast majority of that cost over the past 2 days. I'll keep you updated as to the final toll, though I'm still fairly confident that I can limit the damage to what happened yesterday with the fridge kicking on.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Well we’ve been off since about 2:15 this morning here in Willow Park (between Fort Worth and Weatherford). ONCOR app says 7am estimate to be restored. House is newer construction with spray foam so we’re holding temp ok for now. Though if it dips below about 55° inside I may turn the water off just as a precaution. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

So far an extra blanket on each of the beds, moved my two y/o in to bed with us, daughters are sleep together in the oldest’s bed, and one of the dogs has claimed a spot under the covers in the master.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Been off for a bit this time. Bout to fire up the stovetop.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

03Lightningrocks

I had finally fallen asleep but the dog got scared when the power went off and came back on again. Big dummy woke me up. 125 pounds of pure chicken dog. My plan was to make a crock pot roast today. With the power going off hourly it should be ready in a week. LOL

03Lightningrocks

SigM4 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:00 am Well we’ve been off since about 2:15 this morning here in Willow Park (between Fort Worth and Weatherford). ONCOR app says 7am estimate to be restored. House is newer construction with spray foam so we’re holding temp ok for now. Though if it dips below about 55° inside I may turn the water off just as a precaution. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

So far an extra blanket on each of the beds, moved my two y/o in to bed with us, daughters are sleep together in the oldest’s bed, and one of the dogs has claimed a spot under the covers in the master.
My daughter is also still out. Hers started out saying 7:30 but was move to 8:30. I sure would hate to be the guy going out in this cold to fix the power breakage.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I just got in from about 45 mins of shoveling the driveway. Never would have thought that I would need to bring the snow shovel with us when we moved back from MO. Oh well.

As long as you’re dressed appropriately it’s not too bad outside right now, very little wind. Having spent several winters in WY earlier in my adult life I’m fully aware and prepared for what Mother Nature can do.

03Lightningrocks

SigM4 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 am I just got in from about 45 mins of shoveling the driveway. Never would have thought that I would need to bring the snow shovel with us when we moved back from MO. Oh well.

As long as you’re dressed appropriately it’s not too bad outside right now, very little wind. Having spent several winters in WY earlier in my adult life I’m fully aware and prepared for what Mother Nature can do.
I have a better plan that doesn't include shoveling the drive way. My plan is to stay home until this mess goes back up North. :biggrinjester:

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:39 am
I have a better plan that doesn't include shoveling the drive way. My plan is to stay home until this mess goes back up North. :biggrinjester:
That sounds like the best plan. If I didn’t have to head to work later I’d be doing the same. But with the promise of sunshine today I wanted to clear as much off as I could in hope of heating up the driveway today and avoiding any ice if possible.

03Lightningrocks

SigM4 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:56 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:39 am
That sounds like the best plan. If I didn’t have to head to work later I’d be doing the same. But with the promise of sunshine today I wanted to clear as much off as I could in hope of heating up the driveway today and avoiding any ice if possible.
Holy Cow! Be careful on the roads. Even if you handle it well, most folks don't have a clue on how to drive on frozen roads in Texas.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

SigM4 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 am I just got in from about 45 mins of shoveling the driveway. Never would have thought that I would need to bring the snow shovel with us when we moved back from MO. Oh well.

Lol....I brought snow shovel with me from Illinois when I moved to Texas. Figured if I ever needed it might be the only one on the block.

Way too many think snow is beautiful....until all that beauty has to be shoveled off the driveway.

Return to “Off-Topic”