Who didn’t lose power?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Who didn’t lose power?

Post by troglodyte »

In the middle of nowhere west of Shallowater, TX (NW of Lubbock). Lamb County Electric Coop.

We stayed on the whole time, conserved energy, and no busted water lines. We were prepared if we did lose power and could have held out for a week or more. May not have been the most comfortable but we would have been OK.

Several of the communities around us lost power at times. I figure there are only 5 of us on a leg so sending a truck out to pull a fuse was more trouble than it was worth for no more electricity we were using.

While we were fairly well prepared there were a couple of holes that need to be patched up a little.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

In Temple, was without power for 58 hours straight
TANSTAAFL

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

We live in the unincorporated area of Richmond next to Sugarland which is southwest of Houston. There are 1029 homes in our community. About 60pct lost power. We did not but we live about a quarter of a mile from a major hospital so I figure we are on the same grid.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I live in Friendswood and never lost power or water. We were very lucky.

Chas.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

I didn't loose power or water, conserved power. I attempted to run my amateur radio gear off my primary battery system which failed miserably. It seems that the 100AH AGM battery doesn't like temperatures below freezing (It is stored outside). Oh well, I had additional LiFePo4 batteries with smaller capacities. I simply rotated them through the shack and had them on the solar panel charging when discharged and not in use. The AGM battery is happy now that outside temperatures are a little warmer, but it's days are numbered as I have a 54AH LiFePo4 on the way. I have plans for another 54AH battery, and additional redundancy in the future.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

G.A. Heath wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:19 pm I didn't loose power or water, conserved power. I attempted to run my amateur radio gear off my primary battery system which failed miserably. It seems that the 100AH AGM battery doesn't like temperatures below freezing (It is stored outside). Oh well, I had additional LiFePo4 batteries with smaller capacities. I simply rotated them through the shack and had them on the solar panel charging when discharged and not in use. The AGM battery is happy now that outside temperatures are a little warmer, but it's days are numbered as I have a 54AH LiFePo4 on the way. I have plans for another 54AH battery, and additional redundancy in the future.
What is the resting voltage of those LiFePo4 batteries? My AGMs didn't seem to hold up either and am thinking of upgrading.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Liberty wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:18 am
G.A. Heath wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:19 pm I didn't loose power or water, conserved power. I attempted to run my amateur radio gear off my primary battery system which failed miserably. It seems that the 100AH AGM battery doesn't like temperatures below freezing (It is stored outside). Oh well, I had additional LiFePo4 batteries with smaller capacities. I simply rotated them through the shack and had them on the solar panel charging when discharged and not in use. The AGM battery is happy now that outside temperatures are a little warmer, but it's days are numbered as I have a 54AH LiFePo4 on the way. I have plans for another 54AH battery, and additional redundancy in the future.
What is the resting voltage of those LiFePo4 batteries? My AGMs didn't seem to hold up either and am thinking of upgrading.
Specs say 12.8V, my AGM seems to have returned to normal but I don't think I will trust it. My current LiFEPo4 batteries are Bioenno units and I usually see around 12.7V, but they tend to be charged off a solar panel and a solar charge controller that seems to be a bit conservative with the amperage. The LiFePo4 battery I chose to replace the AGM does not have cold charging protection, however it will be maintained indoors so that is not a concern.

I may eventually breakdown and build my own AGM batteries using quality cells and charge controllers, however I feel that my best option at this time is to use name brand batteries.

I forgot to mention in my previous post I am in Seminole Tx, and my house is a about 5 blocks from the hospital so that may have played a factor in me not losing power.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

My daughter lives in Little Elm and never lost power. She’s on Coserv.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

We are on CoServ in our part of Flower Mound. Power was off more than on, but at least on for long enough at times for gas furnace to take chill off - and for us to cook a few quick meals. Had brought Mr. Heater Buddy home from hunting lease and went thru 2 little propane bottles for it. Fireplace, candles and running faucets got us through it all in much better shape than many others. Rather lucky, very thankful. Not looking forward to the upcoming utility bills.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

TomV

Post by TomV »

We were truly blessed. We never lost power or water. A few years ago we more than doubled the amount of insulation in our attic and put in a radiant barrier. I don't think the radiant barrier did anything but the increased insulation sure didn't hurt.

We may be on the same grid as a level 1 trauma center.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

I live in Friendswood. I never lost power or natural gas. Water pressure dropped and I am under a boil water notice, but that is the worst that happened to me.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

We just went to a customers home in an unincorporated part of Lucas Texas. He never lost power. We have a few others on the outskirts of Mckinney who also never lost power.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Never lost power, but, we have a Fire Station and some natural gas infrastructure close by.
Lost water for a half day on an hours notice, and had to boil for a few days.
Given what others had to deal with, wife and I are very grateful.

Toughest part was reaching out to friends who were out of power and not knowing if they declined our invitations to take a spare bedroom with us due to COVID, fear of leaving their house to monitor for water damage, or, maybe we just smell bad with no water for showering (conserving) for a few days. :???:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

We had power every 6 to 8 hours for 30 minutes at a time. The only thing that kept us alive was my stack of firewood. It was brutally cold (-5 Tuesday morning) and I never let the fire go out.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

In Flower Mound, did not lose power, but did have very intermittent internet until Thursday morning.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Return to “Off-Topic”