Army awards $50 million contract to Barrett

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 1

Army awards $50 million contract to Barrett

Post by gtolbert09 »

USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Rafe

Re: Army awards $50 million contract to Barrett

Post by Rafe »

I want one, with at least two different barrel assemblies: https://barrett.net/products/firearms/mrad-mk22/. Well, I wouldn't necessarily prefer the military MK22. It comes in three calibers; Barrett's civilian MRAD gives your choice of 7 calibers. If I were a rich man, please give me assemblies for .338 Lapua Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308. Thank you.

Just a comment on the pace of adoption: the Barrett MRAD was the NRA Rifle of the Year...in 2012. It was passed over in 2013 by SOCOM in favor of the Remington Arms' Modular Sniper Rifle. On July 27, 2020, of course, Remington entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time in 2.5 years.

In 2013, the MRAD was selected by the Yamam, Israel's elite counter-terrorism and SWAT unit, as their long range sniper rifle. In 2018 the Israel Defense Forces adopted it.

The MRAD has been in use by the Norwegian Special Operations Forces since 2015.

New Zealand chose it as a replacement for their 7.62mm Arctic Warfare sniper rifles in 2018.

But then, we got the M16 in March 1964, and are still waiting on the selection of a new standard platform and cartridge for the U.S. Military, after about three decades of complaints over the caliber's suitability as a battle-rifle.

FWIW, almost exactly two months ago SIG delivered its final prototype offerings in the competition for the next generation of 6.8x51 squad weapons: https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... -army.html. Don't know what will finally be chosen, or what that 6.8 cartridge and round will ultimately look like. There have been some...innovative designs so far, some of them likely to mean that we civilian shooters may not be able to get our hands on the ammo any time soon. But if someone were to give me one of the SIG AR-style MCX rifles, I wouldn't turn it down. ;-)

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

ELB

Re: Army awards $50 million contract to Barrett

Post by ELB »

Rafe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:33 pm ... It was passed over in 2013 by SOCOM in favor of the Remington Arms' Modular Sniper Rifle. On July 27, 2020, of course, Remington entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the second time in 2.5 years.
SOCOM issued a contract to buy MRAD rifles in March 2019. They took a year or so to go thru various development and operational tests, and deliveries were to start in Jan 2021. I dunno if it will replace the Remington or be used along side it.

https://barrett.net/2020/11/13/barrett- ... m-ussocom/
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”