power recovery costs from snowmeggdon

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

power recovery costs from snowmeggdon

Post by powerboatr »

got an email form power company..WHOLLY cow our coop got screwed, i suspect many more will get it to
looks like a dollar per KWH will be added to our bills until the shortfall of 35 million is made up
this is crazy, we get hosed over because power consumption went up, and power providers failed to plan for freezing temps ?
Attachments
2021-05-04 (2).png
2021-05-04 (1).png
2021-05-04.png
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Re: power recovery costs from snowmeggdon

Post by philip964 »

powerboatr wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm got an email form power company..WHOLLY cow our coop got screwed, i suspect many more will get it to
looks like a dollar per KWH will be added to our bills until the shortfall of 35 million is made up
this is crazy, we get hosed over because power consumption went up, and power providers failed to plan for freezing temps ?
Sorry. I had heard there were going to be more casualties than just Griddy customers.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PriestTheRunner »

I'm sorry but if a quasi-government board sets a price, with no consumer options for other purchasing sources- THATS NOT A FREE MARKET.

Texans need to stick to their guns and refuse to pay. The legislature OR governor could fix it. Abbotts been pretty handy with the dictatorial executive orders, maybe this would actually deserve one since the power board is under the governor's office.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:41 pm I'm sorry but if a quasi-government board sets a price, with no consumer options for other purchasing sources- THATS NOT A FREE MARKET.

Texans need to stick to their guns and refuse to pay...
:iagree:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

flechero

Post by flechero »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:41 pm Texans need to stick to their guns and refuse to pay.
I struggle with that because the wife and I have intentionally [kept fixed rate plans and] paid more for years to protect against exactly what happened. I'm certain that the rates were inflated purposely and probably to an extent that exceeds any legal amount. However, I don't agree with anyone getting a free ride when they opted for and enjoyed cheaper rates during the good times while knowing there was risk. That only penalizes those of us that weighed the options and acted responsibly.

Texans need to ensure that those responsible for the failures and the possibly illegally inflated rates, are held responsible. Most of the failures were a laziness, lack of preparedness and just plain old greed (keeping $$$ not spent to winterize plants)

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i did some math late last night/early morning and it still bothers me that we had great rates, but the provider to our coop screwed the pooch and failed to be prepared for winter, that happens every year. YES it was a rare event, but it was not the end of the world. we never lost power.
Our source is a henderson plant, it never shut down or throttled back. SO WHY did the heavy hand of control get to rake us over the coals? we use 1000 to 1500 kwh a month. 1500 is rare and most times we are right at 1000 kwh our bills are comfortable. 150 to 250, again 250 is rare but it happens.
we have very efficient lighting, and appliances.

IMO the coop, should absorb the costs and fight back in court.

it will add 16.00 plus 1. to our monthly bill. but i know many in our area that the 16 will most likely be 32 plus 2.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

powerboatr wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:41 am i did some math late last night/early morning and it still bothers me that we had great rates, but the provider to our coop screwed the pooch and failed to be prepared for winter, that happens every year. YES it was a rare event, but it was not the end of the world. we never lost power.
Our source is a henderson plant, it never shut down or throttled back. SO WHY did the heavy hand of control get to rake us over the coals? we use 1000 to 1500 kwh a month. 1500 is rare and most times we are right at 1000 kwh our bills are comfortable. 150 to 250, again 250 is rare but it happens.

it will add 16.00 plus 1. to our monthly bill. but i know many in our area that the 16 will most likely be 32 plus 2.
Isn't a "Coop" just the sum of all it's members? I'm a bit ignorant of a CooP structure. I lived in one for a time and we still get some distribution checks even though we moved away several years ago.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

jerry_r60 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:44 pm
powerboatr wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:41 am i did some math late last night/early morning and it still bothers me that we had great rates, but the provider to our coop screwed the pooch and failed to be prepared for winter, that happens every year. YES it was a rare event, but it was not the end of the world. we never lost power.

Isn't a "Coop" just the sum of all it's members? I'm a bit ignorant of a CooP structure. I lived in one for a time and we still get some distribution checks even though we moved away several years ago.
our CO OP is pretty good, yes we get credits at years end based on time as member and electric bills. they dont take an UPCHARGE from the vendors and dont really cut a profit above actual costs plus real costs for upgrades . it does provided us with great rates
yes we are the sum of our members, but there are MANY co ops in texas. LOTS.. we are a very loud voice

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

I heard that there were several bad incidents at Austin chip fabs from the power loss. Fires, etc. most fabs arnt back to production yet.

Some rumors Austin may be on the hook for damages.

Return to “Off-Topic”