Why All Gun Owners Are Racist

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Why All Gun Owners Are Racist

Post by Rafe »

In an OpEd written yesterday, June 4, Carol Anderson, Charles Howard Candler professor of African American studies at Emory University, clears up a nagging question for us all. That question being, "Why are all gun owners racist?" Well, if your incredulity can stand it, here you go:

America’s gun obsession is rooted in slavery
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... on-slavery

Published in England's The Guardian (originally founded as The Manchester Guardian) because--could it be possible?--it may be that even U.S. liberal rags didn't want to touch it. But, don't worry, it's only capitalism. Anderson is wanting to stir up clicks anywhere she can because her brand new book just came out, as in days ago, and she's trying to promote sales: The Second: Race and Guns in a Fatally Unequal America; "From the New York Times bestselling author of White Rage, an unflinching, critical new look at the Second Amendment--and how it has been engineered to deny the rights of African Americans since its inception."

I mean, you know you have a serious problem with a race-baiting book if even The New York Times thinks you have your metaphors all mixed up:
In The New York Times, May 28, 2021, Randall Kennedy wrote: On the one hand, she claims that slaveholding founding fathers insisted on the inclusion of the Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights in order to assure themselves of a fighting force willing to suppress slave insurrections. On the other hand, she maintains that racist practices have deprived Blacks of access to arms that might have enabled them to defend themselves in the absence of equal protection of law.
Anderson’s account, however, is wanting in important respects. She argues unconvincingly, in the face of formidable scholarship to the contrary, that the aim to protect slavery was the predominant motive behind the Second Amendment.... The Second Amendment, she claims, “came into being … steeped in anti-Blackness, swaddled in the desire to keep African-descended people rightless and powerless, and as yet another bone tossed to keep the South mollified and willing to stay aligned with the grand experiment of the United States of America.”
Akhil Reed Amar’s careful explanation of the debate over the Second Amendment in The Bill of Rights: Creation and Reconstruction (1998) points to considerations that Anderson notably slights, particularly “deep anxiety about a potentially abusive federal military”.... But in [Anderson's] telling, dread of Blacks was the essential, overriding cause of the Second Amendment, an entitlement “rooted in fear of Black people, to deny them their rights, to keep them from tasting liberty.”
In her portrayal, Blacks are racially victimized whether gun control is permitted (thus perhaps reducing the amount of gunfire unleashed on the streets) or whether gun control is restricted (thus perhaps giving ordinary folk more scope for self-defense).
Read Kennedy's (a professor at the Harvard Law School, by the way) full review here: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/28/book ... erson.html.

Anderson's article in The Guardian opens this way:
"Bodies are piling up all over the second amendment as two of America's pandemics converge. The plague of gun violence and the inability to mount an effective response, even in the wake of multiple mass shootings, is, unfortunately, rooted in the other pandemic gripping the United States: anti-Blackness and the sense that African Americans are a dangerous threat that can only be neutralized or stopped by a well-armed white citizenry."
It only gets worse from there. If the only lens you have through which you can look is clouded and mostly opaque, you'll never see beyond the end of your own nose. Which is fine in Anderson's case. Because that's how she makes her living, by spouting this kind of crap. So she has no need to view anything of the real world beyond her own nose.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Tex1961

Re: Why All Gun Owners Are Racist

Post by Tex1961 »

I'm not racist.. I like all of my black and brown guns.. I like longs guns and short guns... and I'm pretty open to most calibers as well... I would happily go to the range with any of them. Heck, their all welcome to stay in my home as long as they like... Heck, my best friend is all black and we go everywhere together. Were stuck at the hip just like an old married couple...
Last edited by Tex1961 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

There is no “plague of gun violence”. Another construct by the media and those that have an agenda.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

madwildcat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by madwildcat »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:53 am I'm not racist.. I like all of my black and brown guns.. I like longs guns and short guns... and I'm pretty open to most calibers as well... I would happily go to the range with any of them. Heck, their all welcome to stay in my home as long as they like... Heck, my best friend is all black and we go everywhere together. Were stuck at the hip just like an old married couple...
So much awesomeness :iagree:

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

This is the quality of scholarship that permeates anti-gun arguments: choose a conclusion and then choose facts to support it.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Wish she would take a look at the demographics of my LTC and Intro to Pistol Shooting classes. Number of Black and Hispanic students is just getting to be more and more. Not uncommon to have a majority of class made up of minority students. These students know what it means to be able to have the means to defend themselves. Guns (at least where I live) are not an issue of racial divide, ALL are welcome!
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:32 pm Wish she would take a look at the demographics of my LTC and Intro to Pistol Shooting classes. Number of Black and Hispanic students is just getting to be more and more. Not uncommon to have a majority of class made up of minority students. These students know what it means to be able to have the means to defend themselves. Guns (at least where I live) are not an issue of racial divide, ALL are welcome!
:iagree:

I would say that in the last 3 months my average class is over 50% minority and or female.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

As usual they're about 180 degrees from correct.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

MaduroBU wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:11 pm This is the quality of scholarship that permeates anti-gun arguments: choose a conclusion and then choose facts to support it.
Not choose…. Make up.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Are colored gun owners racist? Oh, am I supposed to say gun owners "of color". I think I won't. That's right I said it!
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Southern colonists had plenty of valid reasons to keep and bear arms. So did northern colonists. So do modern Americans.

I try not to let anything in the Guardian or the NYT get my blood up.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:05 pm Southern colonists had plenty of valid reasons to keep and bear arms. So did northern colonists. So do modern Americans.

I try not to let anything in the Guardian or the NYT get my blood up.
The NYT review didn't actually pan the book, but it certainly isn't an endorsement of it, either. That was my point. If the NYT thinks the arguments in your book about gun control and racism don't stand up to scrutiny, it's pretty clear you're not just leaning far left, but you may have already fallen off the platform.

As far as getting the blood up, I think the biggest message--one which we already know, of course, but this is another stark element of evidence--is that this woman is a full, tenured professor and department chair at Emory University, a school consistently in the top 25 national universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report "Best Colleges" rankings. A professor with that kind of extremist bias is setting curricula and teaching our children. Twenty years ago academia was liberal. Ten years ago it was mostly leftist. We're on the brink now of Trotskyist anarcho-communism being perfectly acceptable and a politically conservative speaker unable to even safely set foot on campus. What will the social attitudes and politics be of the 2031 college graduating class?

So many things to keep me awake at night...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Racism? Check.
White fragility? Check.
Slavery? Check.
Pandemic tie in? Check!

No doubt about it, we got us a best seller here.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

What would be entertaining would be a live, unedited debate between this self-appointed history expert and Colion Noir. Based on her writing, he has twice her intellect and I predict that he would twist her up like a pretzel. I've heard him take on this subject before and he is masterful at it.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:26 pm Are colored gun owners racist? Oh, am I supposed to say gun owners "of color". I think I won't. That's right I said it!
As long as all their guns are either black or brown, no, they are not racists. They are merely demonstrating solidarity, as would you or I if we owned black or brown guns. Now, if ANY gun owner, regardless of skin color, owns a gun where the metal is "in the white", then yes, they are racist.

It goes without saying that NO gun owner of ANY kind of color of gun is a racist if they are also LGBTQ/curious or non-binary gendered. And by the way, it is racist to presume otherwise.

I hope I have cleared this up for all of you.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”