Safe / unsafe areas to stay for NRA meeting

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NewGunGuy3
Posts in topic: 2

Safe / unsafe areas to stay for NRA meeting

Post by NewGunGuy3 »

I’m considering driving down from Dallas for the NRA meeting. Any recommendations on generally good / safe areas to stay to the north? Thanks

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Safe / unsafe areas to stay for NRA meeting

Post by cbunt1 »

There's there hotel at the convention center, assuming it's not sold out. I have no idea of the rates.

North end, I'd be looking in the south end of the woodlands on I45, the are several business,-class hotels in the area. Comfort inn and I believe a holiday inn express.

Outer side of beltway 8 is better. Stay away from greenspoint and 8 though--it's not all bad, but the part that is is nearly a war zone.

Most of the hotels around Bush International airport are fine -- just stick to names you know.

There's some stuff north of beltway 8 on 59 that should be decent (Kingswood area)

If you're not familiar with the area, don't even try to find decent accommodations on or inside FM,1960. There are plenty of decent places, but one intersection can be the difference between golf courses and crack pipes.

About the best I can offer right off the top of my head...I left Houston in 2017 so I'm not all that up to date.

All of the areas I mentioned with the exception of the Hilton at the convention center are a decent haul from the George r. Brown which is on the east side of downtown up against us 59.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I've sent you a PM with my phone number. I'm here in Houston, and will be happy talk with you to find out what you want, and give you some targeted guidance to fit your needs.

Until then: Borrowed from https://judgmentalmaps.com/

:biggrinjester:

Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Vol Texan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 am I've sent you a PM with my phone number. I'm here in Houston, and will be happy talk with you to find out what you want, and give you some targeted guidance to fit your needs.

This would be funny if not so true. It has changed a lot since I left in 91
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

RPBrown wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:01 am
Vol Texan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 am I've sent you a PM with my phone number. I'm here in Houston, and will be happy talk with you to find out what you want, and give you some targeted guidance to fit your needs.

This would be funny if not so true. It has changed a lot since I left in 91
:iagree:
Left in 94
Used to spend my weekends at Greenspoint Mall back in the mid 70’s. Hanging out with friends. Nice safe area back then.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I live in the part that says "used to be suburbs now ghetto". LOL

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Okay, love the map. Pretty accurate. I live in the lower-left corner under the "Displaced Upper Middle-Class White People with Old homes that all look the same".
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
NewGunGuy3

Post by NewGunGuy3 »

Thank you all. Love the map. Since the event is still a ways off, I'll call closer to the date. Again, thanks

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Syntyr wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:26 am

Okay, love the map. Pretty accurate. I live in the lower-left corner under the "Displaced Upper Middle-Class White People with Old homes that all look the same".
I'm on the border between "Rich-ish People" and "Katrina Refugees", yet I'm not really either of those...

They have these maps for places all over the country (and some international cities as well). It's all parody - but it's all submitted by users, so there are plenty of truths in the exaggerations presented.Please note, there is some NSFW stuff on the links below.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Right now the roadways are the most dangerous place in Houston, between moron wrong-way drivers, idiots live facetiming as they drive, and the daily 'road rage' shootings, bring your mine resistant vehicle when you come.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Great map!

Return to “Off-Topic”