solar grid tie with battery backup

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

solar grid tie with battery backup

Post by powerboatr »

I have one of several solar people coming out this week to discuss my house being on a solar grid tie system with a battery to supply night time power,
this would put us 99% off grid, but provide power back up to utility when we are generating more than we consume

our avg daily kw usage over last 3 years is 51 kwh per day

i priced out systems on unbound solar and a few others and its right at 10k to 15k for just a system to provide us with power and a source for night time or dark periods, this does not include installation.... we can do 60% of the work but need licensed elect guy to tie back into utility and certify all the electrical stuff
5 -7 years to reach pay off of system which leaves about 15 of warrantied gear in service, unless i cash it out and have no debt after install
i am looking for anyone with such a system and the good bad and ugly of it all

thanks
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Re: solar grid tie with battery backup

Post by johncanfield »

Be aware of total cost of ownership, batteries have a finate lifespan. I investigated wind a few years ago and it was not feasible, not even close.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: solar grid tie with battery backup

Post by powerboatr »

johncanfield wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 pm Be aware of total cost of ownership, batteries have a finate lifespan. I investigated wind a few years ago and it was not feasible, not even close.
we did the wind research as well with a 220 volt wind turbine that would be wired to the house ...COST COSTS COSTS were simply to much to spend 20k
they talked a good game, but in the end the only people making money was the manufacturer and installer

batteries are scary, even lithium's only last ten years and they almost double the cost of normal battery pack
but step in pwr cell from generac and tesla's wall batter y that is modular for expansion and it let you get in with a small battery power for essential items at a lower initial cost, but still up there

but for me, if we spend the $$ to go solar, why stay on the grid at all except to push surplus back up and get paid a small amount. so that drives the large enough battery bank to run when no sun is out and still be able to recharge the next sun period.
also solar panels loose efficiency, at 1 to 2% per year of life. so we have to add extra panels to ensure in 20 years we still have enough capacity

lets toss in an EV that needs charging. i am not sure what our power will look like in 20 years, but i would like to be on the winning side

and tax credits at 26% end dec 31 and next year they are around 22% and then fall away if legislation is not updated.

https://unboundsolar.com/1893128/unboun ... 320-panels 33k dollars and its with 7 year led acid agm batteries
i use fullriver agms in my motorhome and they are solid....but 7 years they are pretty much done
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Off-Topic”