I think the forum is dying

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Re: I think the forum is dying

Post by Ruark »

I think the general topic of the forum has been somewhat diluted by events of the past few years. At first, we couldn't carry concealed weapons at all, and there was the big push to create a "Concealed Handgun License" law, which Bush Jr. finally did. So a CHL was a big, novel, new deal, and it was a ripe situation for a Texas CHL forum. Later we got open carry passed, which was a big hullabaloo that amounted to nothing, and a CHL was then called an LTC.

We coasted along for awhile, and eventually just about everything that could be said about a CHL (LTC) had been said. Then we passed constitutional carry, after which we don't even NEED a license to carry. So the very basis for the existence of the forum has pretty much dissolved.

On some other sites, like Texas Gun Forum, our forum, and Charles in particular, is HEAVILY flamed as being too restrictive and censored. Of course, that's bull, Charles is a great guy and we all know it. One accusation is that if you say ANYTHING negative about the NRA on here, you'll be kicked off and banned. Check out these two discussions:

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/te ... com.77334/

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/ch ... st-1498470
-Ruark

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

For me it's just been that I've been busy with other things. Life has moved on. Daughter, H-dub, has grown up and had twins. Work, I'm a Medical Technologist in a hospital laboratory and we are busy. For all that everyone hears about nurses in the news we are just as busy performing the tests they and the docs rely on for treatment strategies. It's different, but just as busy. Overtime all over the place. More than I need available. We've had no slow time except for last summer (2020) for about a month and that was it. Now we don't have enough staff and are swamped at least 80% of the time.

Anyway, it's also not like I'm visiting other sites. I'm just not on the web as much. Well, except for reading about bbq or smoking my next brisket, pork butt, or rack of ribs. I've stumbled upon how to get more out of my BGE than just grilling and really enjoying it. So is my wife and the rest of the family. My mother-in-law had been cooking Italian for me for years and now I'm returning the favor with smoked meat.

The GoldWing my wife tricked me into buying several years ago has also contributed to my delinquency around here. We ride whenever we can and what little we do ride isn't enough. We only take one big 7-10 day trip a year and maybe a small 3-4 day trip a couple times and a few other one day rides that end back at home.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

AndyC1911 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:29 am It's a lull - people can't easily or cheaply get guns/ammo/components (to varying degrees), so they turn to other things for a while.
I think that AndyC is right in very large measure. I know that due to ammo prices, I haven't been shooting as much as I used to. :cryin

Also, due to all the mess from COVID, I've not been going as many places as I used to prior, so I'm just not carrying out and about as much as I used to. Hopefully at some point both situations will clear up.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Ruark wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:37 pm I think the general topic of the forum has been somewhat diluted by events of the past few years. At first, we couldn't carry concealed weapons at all, and there was the big push to create a "Concealed Handgun License" law, which Bush Jr. finally did. So a CHL was a big, novel, new deal, and it was a ripe situation for a Texas CHL forum. Later we got open carry passed, which was a big hullabaloo that amounted to nothing, and a CHL was then called an LTC.

We coasted along for awhile, and eventually just about everything that could be said about a CHL (LTC) had been said. Then we passed constitutional carry, after which we don't even NEED a license to carry. So the very basis for the existence of the forum has pretty much dissolved.

On some other sites, like Texas Gun Forum, our forum, and Charles in particular, is HEAVILY flamed as being too restrictive and censored. Of course, that's bull, Charles is a great guy and we all know it. One accusation is that if you say ANYTHING negative about the NRA on here, you'll be kicked off and banned. Check out these two discussions:

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/te ... com.77334/

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/ch ... st-1498470
Those discussions are from 5 years ago. Other than that, I do agree with your first paragraph. It is my story anyway. When I first joined having a CHL was fairly new and still somewhat of a novelty. Info on it was not easy to find. Now, many years later, it is somewhat diluted by constitutional carry and the novelty ended for me many years ago.

tomneal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tomneal »

Alien Gear Cloak Dock

Is it Stand Alone?

I screwed it into my center console. Found a paddle holster in my "tub of holsters". Checked the fit on the gun. Put the holster in the pickup.
Alien Gear has paddle holsters that may fit the Cloak Dock better.

I was unsure how it would hold up with a heavy pistol. It's just 4 screws into plastic. I decided that I didn't want to disassemble the console to allow through bolts

I've been driving with it for less than 2 months. No issues.

I've had a vehicle gun for a long time. This is the first time I've mounted a holster.
I find it comforting without being uncomfortable.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Fresh content is key to keeping a website going. Providing content relevant to current members while also of interest to new viewers is vital.

I don't believe that restricting the most popular topics will help keep forum members. Popular topics are a sign of successful engagement. What makes this website unique and important is that it is different than CNN, MSNBC, Facebook, etc.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

allisji
Posts in topic: 6

Post by allisji »

tomneal wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:13 am Alien Gear Cloak Dock

Is it Stand Alone?

I screwed it into my center console. Found a paddle holster in my "tub of holsters". Checked the fit on the gun. Put the holster in the pickup.
Alien Gear has paddle holsters that may fit the Cloak Dock better.

I was unsure how it would hold up with a heavy pistol. It's just 4 screws into plastic. I decided that I didn't want to disassemble the console to allow through bolts

I've been driving with it for less than 2 months. No issues.

I've had a vehicle gun for a long time. This is the first time I've mounted a holster.
I find it comforting without being uncomfortable.
I wonder if pop-rivets would work in a sheet plastic console. I would think that as long as the pilot holes were drilled to the proper diameter that it would hold better than screws, but the question would be whether it would crack the plastic causing the rivet installation to fail.

But hey, if the screws are working fine for you then it seems like a solution in search of a problem. :tiphat:
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

AndyC1911 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:29 pm
tomneal wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:19 pm I have a Kimber 1911. It's just like a Glock, only for men!
Speaking of which - I lay full claim to have invented that saying back in 2014 on Facebook:

LOL!!! Y'all are KILLING me!!! :biggrinjester: I'm going to shamelessly STEAL this and have some fun with my friends...LOL... :tiphat: :cheers2:

tomneal
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tomneal »

I found a Kimber t-shirt on one of the custom shirt places. Had them add the line. Wore out the t-shirt.

For the last couple of years, I've been shooting USPSA Carry Optics.
BUT...
I just reloaded enough .45 ACP to shoot a few matches and have some left over.
I am planning to dust off my Kimber.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

It's royalty-free, Tom - I'm just delighted to have come up with a saying that others found good enough to run with :mrgreen: :cheers2:

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FastCarry »

Redneck_Buddha wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:58 pm Some rude and confrontational members in the "old boy's club" have killed it for me.

100%

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:17 am What makes this website unique and important is that it is different than CNN, MSNBC, Facebook, etc.
True for the topics I will actually click on.

Unfortunately most of the time the most recent topics are all spam news from the sources you mention aggregate threads. If I wanted to see that, I’d go to those sites.

But when all the recent posting here is one dude “control c, control v” everything on Drudge, it kind of dampens my enthusiasm to wade through the junk to find the interesting stuff.
TANSTAAFL

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

74novaman wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:05 pm
Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:17 am What makes this website unique and important is that it is different than CNN, MSNBC, Facebook, etc.
True for the topics I will actually click on.

Unfortunately most of the time the most recent topics are all spam news from the sources you mention aggregate threads. If I wanted to see that, I’d go to those sites.

But when all the recent posting here is one dude “control c, control v” everything on Drudge, it kind of dampens my enthusiasm to wade through the junk to find the interesting stuff.
I don't completely understand your argument. Drudge has become no different than CNN, MSNBC, etc with a massive loss in readership. Nobody reads Drudge anymore. I like most people, I haven't gone to Drudgereport in at least a year.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Paladin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 am I don't completely understand your argument.
So pick your own news site to compare it to if Drudge was a bad example.

Almost half the topics on page one in this off topic subforum are topics posted by one guy. They're all 24/7 cable news style topics. If I wanted that, I'd be on a news website.

I come to read about gun/Texas chl stuff, but all the recent activity is always that one guy posting random news he finds online.
Last edited by 74novaman on Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TANSTAAFL

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

74novaman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:21 am
Paladin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 am I don't completely understand your argument.
So pick your own news site to compare it to if Drudge was a bad example.

Almost half the topics on page one in this off topic subforum are topics posted by one guy. They're all 24/7 cable news style topics. If I wanted that, I'd be on a news website.

I come to read about gun/Texas chl stuff, but all the recent activity is always that one guy posting random news he finds online.
While I mostly agree, if you check the original date of the posts quite a few are months or years old. One is four years old. So it's other people keeping the thread alive.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Off-Topic”