I think the forum is dying

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I think the forum is dying

Post by jmorris »

I still get individuals calling/email/texting about getting the concealed handgun license and I explain that it's now the LTC.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

'CHL' is still relevant. But now it stands for Carry a Handgun Legally, instead of Concealed Handgun License ;-)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

seph

Post by seph »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:04 am
SpringerFan wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:57 am
Texas_Blaze wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:00 pm Could a web address change help things? CHL is outdated and not a likely search term in google anymore. I found the forum by this exact search. Maybe something more broad. TexasGunCarry or something that doesn’t appear limited to license carry.
You beat me to it, I was thinking the exact same thing. Even in gun circles, I haven't heard anyone use the term CHL in a while. Might bring in some new members and increase activity, especially after 9/1.
The domain TexasLTCforum.com goes to this site as well. It's just a matter of the banner at the top that really references "CHL".
But the SSL cert does not have that name listed as a common name, so browsers will show an SSL error. That would scare off some users.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

allisji
Posts in topic: 6

Post by allisji »

jmorris wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:18 pm I still get individuals calling/email/texting about getting the concealed handgun license and I explain that it's now the LTC.
Concealed Handgun License, maybe be obsolete language in the state of Texas, but is still a relevant term in national politics so Iam not surprise that people still ask about it.

Most people know far less about current events in the Texas legislature than they do about the national dialogue on gun rights/control. Even among the 1,000,000+ licensed individuals in the state of Texas, well-informed and knowledgeable people, such as those who frequent this forum are largely in the minority.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

allisji

Post by allisji »

TexasTornado wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:58 am

:iagree: I have not been on in a long time, maybe too long, but with the latest legislative session and September 1st looming, I logged in hoping for some explanations and discussions of the legal changes.

Sadly, I'm not really seeing any. Even the legislation area, which previously held a wealth of information, is still set up for the 2019 legislative session, not 2021s. I can only hope that as September 1st comes and goes, maybe there will be posts on this general topic.
Here is a good publication courtesy of oljames from a more recent different discussion thread. It does provide some good information describing the changes in carry laws from the 2021 legislative session. Hope that this is useful for you
oljames3 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:44 pm See page 14 of this publication written by Texas lawyers. https://cdn.brandfolder.io/5Z10RK5F/at/ ... igital.pdf
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

philip964

Post by philip964 »

allisji wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:22 pm
TexasTornado wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:58 am

:iagree: I have not been on in a long time, maybe too long, but with the latest legislative session and September 1st looming, I logged in hoping for some explanations and discussions of the legal changes.

Sadly, I'm not really seeing any. Even the legislation area, which previously held a wealth of information, is still set up for the 2019 legislative session, not 2021s. I can only hope that as September 1st comes and goes, maybe there will be posts on this general topic.
Here is a good publication courtesy of oljames from a more recent different discussion thread. It does provide some good information describing the changes in carry laws from the 2021 legislative session. Hope that this is useful for you
oljames3 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:44 pm See page 14 of this publication written by Texas lawyers. https://cdn.brandfolder.io/5Z10RK5F/at/ ... igital.pdf
Thank you for posting this. It was very informative.

allisji

Post by allisji »

Looking at this morning's spammer, it looks like probably all of the new users who were added last year in August are probably spammers. I do really hope that Charles and the team can find a way that we are able to get new members in and keep that trash out.

We all know that this forum has come under many attacks for a long time by opponents of the second amendment who would want to destroy the forum to the point that it gets no traffic and/or officially goes offline.

I don't know exactly what we the members can do to help, but I am sure that if is a matter of needing volunteers or donations to fund a new hosting platform or anything like that that people would gladly contribute. I know that I would make a donation if there were a contribution function and it would help to improve the forum.
LTC since 2015

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

allisji wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:28 am Looking at this morning's spammer, it looks like probably all of the new users who were added last year in August are probably spammers. I do really hope that Charles and the team can find a way that we are able to get new members in and keep that trash out.

We all know that this forum has come under many attacks for a long time by opponents of the second amendment who would want to destroy the forum to the point that it gets no traffic and/or officially goes offline.

I don't know exactly what we the members can do to help, but I am sure that if is a matter of needing volunteers or donations to fund a new hosting platform or anything like that that people would gladly contribute. I know that I would make a donation if there were a contribution function and it would help to improve the forum.
There's also a LOT of hostility towards the NRA and especially WLP, and that gets redirected towards the forum, since Charles is an NRA board member.

I would advise against changing platforms. A platform/software change, no matter how smooth, can kill a forum overnight. Seen it happen many times.
-Ruark

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

AndyC1911 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:29 am It's a lull - people can't easily or cheaply get guns/ammo/components (to varying degrees), so they turn to other things for a while.

That's pretty much where I have been. The precious little free time I have these days isn't spent with firearms or shooting because it's become beyond frustrating.
Psalm 91:2

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

SQLGeek wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:30 pm
AndyC1911 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:29 am It's a lull - people can't easily or cheaply get guns/ammo/components (to varying degrees), so they turn to other things for a while.

That's pretty much where I have been. The precious little free time I have these days isn't spent with firearms or shooting because it's become beyond frustrating.
I check the forum quite often. But don't post a lot as life is busy right now with many other things. New house and the move being the biggest time drain for me at the moment. I do enjoy reading the posts though.

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Tex1961 »

clarionite wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:57 pm
SQLGeek wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:30 pm

I check the forum quite often. But don't post a lot as life is busy right now with many other things. New house and the move being the biggest time drain for me at the moment. I do enjoy reading the posts though.
But that’s the problem. Everyone enjoys reading the posts, but if nobody posts then there’s nothing to read.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I've founded and operated many, many forums, going all the way back to the old Majordomo "listserv" email lists. To survive, a forum needs a certain "critical mass" of posting users, to give it enough momentum to keep going. What often happens, though, is that visitors don't see anything THEY are interested in, so they leave. So what happens is, everybody is "waiting for somebody else to post something," and "nobody posts, because nobody posts." When you go to a forum and the most recent post is a month ago, you just figure, "what's the point?" and click away.

So if you really care about a forum site surviving, you need to POST. If you don't see a topic you're interested in, POST a topic, don't sit there waiting for somebody ELSE to entertain you.
-Ruark

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I still use it as a very good reference when I have a question. I thank everyone on the for that is willing to answer my questions.
I confess I have not been here unless I NEED something. That is as lame as the friend that never calls unless he wants something.
Well, I have simplified life a little so I am going to make a better effort to be a contributor again.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

longtooth wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:10 pm I still use it as a very good reference when I have a question. I thank everyone on the for that is willing to answer my questions.
I confess I have not been here unless I NEED something. That is as lame as the friend that never calls unless he wants something.
Well, I have simplified life a little so I am going to make a better effort to be a contributor again.
Longtooth, with over 12000 posts, I don't think anyone would have any business saying you didn't contribute enough :mrgreen:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

madwildcat wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:59 pm
longtooth wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:10 pm I still use it as a very good reference when I have a question. I thank everyone on the for that is willing to answer my questions.
Longtooth, with over 12000 posts, I don't think anyone would have any business saying you didn't contribute enough :mrgreen:
Thank you but I have been off for a long time. Not regular at all. When the forum first started I was a Moderator. The 12K posts do not reflect my absence over the last 7yrs. I would be ashamed to know how little I have contributed in that time.
Thank you for your kind words.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “Off-Topic”