I think the forum is dying

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I think the forum is dying

Post by ScottDLS »

Another reason might be, there really aren't a lot of new things happening now that the regular Legislative session for 2021 is done, and permitless carry is passed. There may be a flurry of activity around Sept. 1 when the new laws go into effect. Other than permitless carry and some tweeks around the edges, what has really changed since open carry in 2016?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

allisji
Posts in topic: 6

Post by allisji »

I contend that the problem is with the way that new members are approved.

Looking at the Members list there were about 3 new members added this year. There was a huge batch of new members added in August of last year, and no other new members added in 2020. No new members other than our old friend AndyC have even posted a single reply since November 18, 2019.

The people who have been added were added in bulk in August likely several months after they attempted to gain admission to the forum and since they waited months to be admitted to the forum they haven't returned to the forum to contribute.

We historically have new members coming in weekly and posting questions in The Waiting Room and in the General forums while they are waiting for their plastic and preparing to begin their concealed carry journey. We have none of that new membership to drive conversation and so we are left to rehash many of the same old things that all of you long-time members have been talking about on this forum for 15 years.

I did see that Charles added a verification code step to the new members process to filter out spammers etc, indicating that the admins would be a bottleneck in approving new members to the forum. Perhaps this process is not going so well because our terrific admins can't keep up with the new member requests on a day to day basis, or perhaps there is something which is not working properly in the web-hosting software where new member requests are not being processed right.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPBrown »

I dont know if the mods have the rights to the program to approve new members or if it's just Charles. If it's just Charles, I can pretty much bet that he has been kept very busy with the NRA with all that is going on with the current Prez. Sadly, he may not have the time to devote to the forum right now like he has in the past. I haven't seen him post anything since early this month.
I know this forum has had some issues, and still has a few, but it's still the best go to place to learn new laws. I think at least some of the instructors here, if not all, recommend the forum to their classes. If they don't, they should. Just my .02
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I did not realize the forum was not getting new members until the post above and a couple others in this thread. It is either happening due to a loss of interest in obtaining an LTC or like mentioned, something in the process is not working well.

Texas_Blaze
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Could a web address change help things? CHL is outdated and not a likely search term in google anymore. I found the forum by this exact search. Maybe something more broad. TexasGunCarry or something that doesn’t appear limited to license carry.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The depth of knowledge on this forum is immense. From emergency generators, to well which is better a .45 or a Glock 9mm, this forum has it.
If I wanted to know which Harley to buy, which was the best fishing boat, I would ask here first. When it comes to guns and rifles, there is probably no better resource in the world.

Yes world, you guys are that good.

I started here when I was looking to get my CHL. Back then it was difficult, confusing and time consuming. I needed help. Not so much now, I assume. Although there are pressures from outside Texas, the forum has seen the loosening of restrictions on guns in Texas over the years. A tribute to this forum, its leaders and their actions. Thank you.

In the coming month we will see a new law. I really never though would happen here in Texas.

I wish some of the legal eagles would begin going over the new law and advise us what has changed, what is the same, what is new, and what to watch out for. Putting it in Layman's terms would be so so helpful. We there some changes made to the LTC law as well, hopefully making it easier to stay out of trouble with licensed concealed or open carry.

I suspect there will be lots of non licensed newbies looking for advice on what they can actually do now. I suspect a lot of them will come here.

I hope we can be ready with answers. I know I will be ready with lots of questions.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:38 pm
In the coming month we will see a new law. I really never though would happen here in Texas.

I wish some of the legal eagles would begin going over the new law and advise us what has changed, what is the same, what is new, and what to watch out for. Putting it in Layman's terms would be so so helpful. We there some changes made to the LTC law as well, hopefully making it easier to stay out of trouble with licensed concealed or open carry.

I suspect there will be lots of non licensed newbies looking for advice on what they can actually do now. I suspect a lot of them will come here.

I hope we can be ready with answers. I know I will be ready with lots of questions.
:iagree: I have not been on in a long time, maybe too long, but with the latest legislative session and September 1st looming, I logged in hoping for some explanations and discussions of the legal changes.

Sadly, I'm not really seeing any. Even the legislation area, which previously held a wealth of information, is still set up for the 2019 legislative session, not 2021s. I can only hope that as September 1st comes and goes, maybe there will be posts on this general topic.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:38 pm The depth of knowledge on this forum is immense. From emergency generators, to well which is better a .45 or a Glock 9mm, this forum has it.
If I wanted to know which Harley to buy, which was the best fishing boat, I would ask here first. When it comes to guns and rifles, there is probably no better resource in the world.

I started here when I was looking to get my CHL. Back then it was difficult, confusing and time consuming. I needed help. Not so much now, I assume. Although there are pressures from outside Texas, the forum has seen the loosening of restrictions on guns in Texas over the years. A tribute to this forum, its leaders and their actions. Thank you.

:iagree: I can remember "Wally Walks" and all of the things one was supposed to do during them. I can also remember doing my first Wally Walk - which just happened to be during back to school time and the place was jammed with kids running around. I was just sure one of them was going to bump or get pushed into me and my gun.

Regarding Constitutional Carry, I wonder if, based on all the other things going on, it is going to be a non-event when it goes into effect. I remember, too, the ramp up toward OC and how many new signs were going up around this time before that law went into effect. I've been watching stores, expecting to see the usual suspects hanging signs. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places. Perhaps some people will start open carrying without a license and that will trigger some reaction. But I doubt it. And I think that speaks volumes about where we are as members of the forum and where the general public is. When a State as large as Texas can implement CC with hardly a murmur, at least so far, the focus of our society is someplace else. It, at least for me, is less about my interests in guns than about my attention being diverted. Like many others, I'm not doing as much shooting as I was and there hasn't been availability of the new guns that I want to buy so there isn't much to talk about personally. I keep hoping that the gun and ammo makers are going to be able to restore the supply soon but given the holes in the supply chain in just about every other industry, that is just a faint hope now.

I guess the next couple of weeks will tell. Constitutional Carry may not be on too many people's minds.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Tex1961 »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:25 am
philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:38 pm The depth of knowledge on this forum is immense. From emergency generators, to well which is better a .45 or a Glock 9mm, this forum has it.

:iagree: I can remember "Wally Walks" and all of the things one was supposed to do during them. I can also remember doing my first Wally Walk - which just happened to be during back to school time and the place was jammed with kids running around. I was just sure one of them was going to bump or get pushed into me and my gun.

Regarding Constitutional Carry, I wonder if, based on all the other things going on, it is going to be a non-event when it goes into effect. I remember, too, the ramp up toward OC and how many new signs were going up around this time before that law went into effect. I've been watching stores, expecting to see the usual suspects hanging signs. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places. Perhaps some people will start open carrying without a license and that will trigger some reaction. But I doubt it. And I think that speaks volumes about where we are as members of the forum and where the general public is. When a State as large as Texas can implement CC with hardly a murmur, at least so far, the focus of our society is someplace else. It, at least for me, is less about my interests in guns than about my attention being diverted. Like many others, I'm not doing as much shooting as I was and there hasn't been availability of the new guns that I want to buy so there isn't much to talk about personally. I keep hoping that the gun and ammo makers are going to be able to restore the supply soon but given the holes in the supply chain in just about every other industry, that is just a faint hope now.

I guess the next couple of weeks will tell. Constitutional Carry may not be on too many people's minds.
Spoke with a young man yesterday. He didn’t even know it passed. Thought they were still discussing it.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Learned a few things I didn't know, or hadn't thought of. That new members aren't being approved, or aren't trying to join in the first place, and that the name of the forum makes sense to "old timers", but likely not to folks these days doing searches. However, I did realize that no 2021 Legislative Session section was ever set up. I looked quite a few times and wondered what was going on. I do hope there will be some forthcoming info about the nuances of Constitutional Carry. Looking for that stuff elsewhere worries me because other sites will just say what they THINK is the way without anything to back it up. Folks on here quote TPC, or other relevant sources to make their point, but also admit if it's just their opinion, not a fact.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:38 pm .... to well which is better a .45 or a Glock 9mm,....
I believe the original caliber war settled in about 1911... although recent advancements in bullet technology- which only help the 9mm apparently, and the capacity of the glocks, have rekindled the debate in this century. :lol:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

flechero wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:47 am
philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:38 pm .... to well which is better a .45 or a Glock 9mm,....
I believe the original caliber war settled in about 1911... although recent advancements in bullet technology- which only help the 9mm apparently, and the capacity of the glocks, have rekindled the debate in this century. :lol:
I believe it was actually settled a little earlier than that. The rebellion/war started in 1899 and we quickly learned the short comings of rounds that did not begin with a 4. The 1873 Peacemaker was reissued because the 1892 Colt .38 wasn't working. The M1909 revolver was issued in 45 and then we finally got smart and lucky and got the best pistol in the world for combat use, JMB's M1911. The official primary sidearm issued for 75 years, the M1911A1 is still issued for some units after 110 years of service, with only one minor design change since it was invented.

Civilian versions have seen a few more modifications of the design, with some (like STI's 2011 series) even handling almost as much ammo as a 9mm Glock but in a caliber that works.
Steve Rothstein

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

Texas_Blaze wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:00 pm Could a web address change help things? CHL is outdated and not a likely search term in google anymore. I found the forum by this exact search. Maybe something more broad. TexasGunCarry or something that doesn’t appear limited to license carry.
You beat me to it, I was thinking the exact same thing. Even in gun circles, I haven't heard anyone use the term CHL in a while. Might bring in some new members and increase activity, especially after 9/1.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

SpringerFan wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:57 am
Texas_Blaze wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:00 pm Could a web address change help things? CHL is outdated and not a likely search term in google anymore. I found the forum by this exact search. Maybe something more broad. TexasGunCarry or something that doesn’t appear limited to license carry.
You beat me to it, I was thinking the exact same thing. Even in gun circles, I haven't heard anyone use the term CHL in a while. Might bring in some new members and increase activity, especially after 9/1.
The domain TexasLTCforum.com goes to this site as well. It's just a matter of the banner at the top that really references "CHL".
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Some of us "old timers" might still refer to the license, which will lessen slightly in importance soon, as a CHL. At least at first. I catch myself every now and then saying or starting to say CHL, but quickly correct myself and say LTC. To me, LTC just doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as CHL.

My daughter, H-dub to those that have met her, will be 20 later this year and her fiancé will be 21 shortly after that. She has known about this site for years, but I don't know how much she has visited it. I 99.99% positive she has not setup and account to post anything. I have also mentioned the site to her fiancé since he will be able to carry under the new law and should be more familiar with use of force laws and situations as discussed here. I doubt he has visited much if at all and also pretty certain he has not created an account to ask any questions himself. I did have to straighten him out with regards to both of them not being able to legally carry until they turn 21 under the new law.

If she has created an account she probably didn't use H-dub since she really doesn't like that very much anyway. If she did it is probably something Harry Potter related. And if she's reading this I'm LOL if she did and it is.

The name of the forum could be a deterrent to new members for the reasons given. However, if they stick around and read a few threads or found the forum based upon a search they did they just might stick around and join in like so many others have done over the years. That is how I arrived here oh so many years ago.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”